PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a Problem.......

STANGBUM
07-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Got a Vortech SQ V-2 on my 97 Cobra (3 1/2 years). Now I just replaced the idler pulley about a month ago, but now there seems to be a rattling noise coming straight from the SC itself. sounds like maybe a bearing or something is out of round :eek: I am just not sure. :(
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Big Daddy
07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm going to Mustang Week at the Beach this weekend and I'll be getting back on Monday. I could come over and listen to the noise to see if we can identify where it's coming from and then maybe we can find a solution to the problem.

STANGBUM
07-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the offer Greg, but I called Dale @ Custom Performance this morning and he gave me a plan of attack :eek:
Taking it to Pates this afternoon and breaking it down, Dale said to check the other pulleys, the belt, and see if the shaft on the SC has any wiggle to it.
If its a pulley, should have it ready for Bristol, if its the shaft, I'm gunna have to send it to Vortech for a rebuild.......(bearings are going and or seals) :eek: But I will still Come to Bristol with Dennis :thumbsup:

STANGBUM
07-31-2005, 07:02 PM
It was a pulley, so its on to Bristol !! :thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you and wasn't an expensive fix! :thumbsup:

STANGBUM
07-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you and wasn't an expensive fix! :thumbsup:

Thanks, that was the second pulley to go bad in a month. I should have had all of the pulleys checked when the first one went down, but who would have guessed that two would have went that close together.
Oh well, live and learn :thumbsup:

FearTheSnake
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks, that was the second pulley to go bad in a month. I should have had all of the pulleys checked when the first one went down, but who would have guessed that two would have went that close together.
Oh well, live and learn :thumbsup:
I would keep an eye on it though. If this one goes out you may want to check for an alignment problem or possible bracket fatigue(3.5 yrs old?). I've had the problem in the past on my Procharger unit. :D

STANGBUM
08-01-2005, 03:56 PM
I would keep an eye on it though. If this one goes out you may want to check for an alignment problem or possible bracket fatigue(3.5 yrs old?). I've had the problem in the past on my Procharger unit. :D

Thats funny that you should mention about the bracket. When the first pulley went south it was a Vortech pulley and I was told that they will go bad so I bought an extra one, but I was also told that I might want to go ahead and by the bracket because they are known to have problems also. :scratch: So I did, but I never thought about fatigue. :surprise: Well we will see if anything else starts going in that area.
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

FearTheSnake
08-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Thats funny that you should mention about the bracket. When the first pulley went south it was a Vortech pulley and I was told that they will go bad so I bought an extra one, but I was also told that I might want to go ahead and by the bracket because they are known to have problems also. :scratch: So I did, but I never thought about fatigue. :surprise: Well we will see if anything else starts going in that area.
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
The Bracket would start flexing in time. After ProCharger went to the Spring loaded tensioner and an improved bracket with reinforcements, I've never had another problem with Pulleys or Brackets. I've had the same combo on for about 4 yrs now.