PDA

View Full Version : 180 deg. thermostat

1-QIK-SNK
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
can we put a 180 deg. thermostat in our cobra's ? if it wont mess with the computer(air/fuel) i may try it. just wondering.
kerry m.

WVSNS&
07-30-2005, 06:00 PM
I put a thermostat in not too long ago and it was inscribed w/180 or 188, couldn't tell. Either way, I used a bottle of "water wetter" and did new coolant. Seems to run fine. I also have the standard copper plugs that I replace every 5k or so and that too seems to keep it on the up and up.:D

john in va beach

ausie
07-31-2005, 11:15 AM
You will be safe with the 180 which is only 15 degrees colder than the 195 stat. I have run my 01 with a 180 since I could not locate the stock temp stat when I changed the coolant. The fan will kick in at about 104C ( 219 F) and turn off below 85C (185F). With the stock stat, I have seen temperatures exceed 118C (244F) up to a max of 122C (251F). I monitored temperatures with the OBDII by accessing the diagnostics tool built into the console which displays data on the trip odometer. The temperatures measured came from the temperature sending unit which (I believe) is mounted on the radiator. What is printed on the stat is the hysterisis, opens at temperatures above 188F and closes at temperatures below 180F. Come to think of that, perhaps there may be an issue. Since I changed to the 180, the occurance of the overflow issues I had with the expansion tank stopped. I went an entire summer with the 180F stat prior to trading it in for the 04. Do not get a 160 unless you plan on re-programming.

1-QIK-SNK
08-02-2005, 08:37 PM
what dose the car come with stock thremostat?

ausie
08-03-2005, 05:59 AM
the stock thermostat is rated at 195F which is the nominal temperature (not sure on what the stock hysterisis is though [temp when it opens to temp when it closes]).

1-QIK-SNK
08-04-2005, 07:50 AM
i think im going to lower mine to a 180. if for some reason i have a brain
fart :o and forget to look witch way the stat goes in dose anyone know witch it goes in?
thanks kerry

ausie
08-05-2005, 06:18 AM
spring end goes in first (toward passenger side) the flange must be facing outward (towards the driver's side). Don't forget to get a new "O" ring or it will leak, for some reason the old one will come out 3 times the desired size. The "O" ring goes in after the stat is placed into the housing.

1-QIK-SNK
08-05-2005, 08:42 AM
i see napa has a 170 deg.

do you think that would work or be better?

kerry

ausie
08-06-2005, 10:47 AM
From what I gathered that should know their stuff (but then again they all have their opinions), you do not want to go with a stat temp lower than 180. Since most of them will operate close to the stock part and within the fan operating window which is controlled by the ECU. If you go with a lower rated thermostat, the radiator will not keep up since the fan kicks in and turns off at a higher temperature when compared to the 170 or even the 160 degree stats. You will need to have a flash tuner so that the operating temperature of the fan will coincide with the opening and closing of the thermostat. Keep in mind that there is a limit the stock radiator will be efficient. If it is desired to have the coolant temperatures much cooler, then you should also replace the radiator with one that will offer a greater cooling capacity. Keep in mind that there is a specific operating temperature where the fuel mixture is rich (cold engine operation) which is around 150F to 160F. If by just changing the theromstat would make the overall cooling system run at a lower temperature, you will also be operating in the cold engine mode unless you re-flash the ECU for the lower operating temperatures.

The lower the thermostat temperature, the hotter the radiator will become since the coolant will be flowing out of the block longer and probably not shut off so that heat can be removed from the coolant in the radiator, unless you can wire the fan to run continuously in high speed to increase the air flow through the radiator, flash programming can be done to perform the same function and will work fine. Although it sounds good, you will be drawing more current from the alternator and possibly tapping off of the battery at the same time if the alternator does not provide enough current to support the fan. The more current you draw from the accesories, the lower amount of energy will be available for producing spark in the plugs. Basically it is a trade off. Most of the stock components are probably selected to be marginal to meet the original design specification and to reduce the cost of the total package. By changing the fan operation, you will have increased the amp/hour requirements and having to rely on the battery for power if the alternator is not capable to provide will result in a prematurely dead battery.

1-QIK-SNK
08-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I have the steeda radiator(C&R) along with the manual high speed fan upgrade. If i don't use the high speed fan and drive in a 35 mph zone the temp will go up to 220 or so maybe alittle higher, but soon as i turn on the high speed fan it goes right to 195. Now if im drive 55 or so it run between 195 & 200. I bet there is nothing wrong with the cooling system. I probably should not put the 180 t-stat I just bought.

kerry

ausie
08-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I had good results with a 180 thermostat as compared to the 195(stock) in the 01. I was told however not to go any lower unless you reprogram the ECU. I was however having issues with the stock stat since the temperatures would climb too high and the resivior (expansion tank) would boil over. The temperature sending unit would measure a maximum temperature of 220c (428F). The temp guage looked normal too. If you are using the on board diagnostics (reading temperatures from the digital odometer) the measurement is in Centegrade. If you have an aftermarket temperature guage that sounds like the range the temperatures should be.

From what I recall, a 160F stat would provide optimum performance along with retune would give you some extra ponies as compared to just a retune and the stock stat. However do not use it unless you retune.

Anyways, as a preventive maintanence practice, I flush the coolant and replace the thermostat every 16k miles in all of my vehicles. That may sound excessive but why wait for the stat to go bad?

bcstrong
08-30-2005, 01:22 AM
i have an xcalibrator2 so i assume that i could have that tuned to run a 160degree thermostat but would like to know exactly how it would help me improve performance. I also plan on putting in a 1.5L non-intercooled KB supercharger (because they don't make a freakin intercooled unit for the 96-98 cobras bu they do for the gt's, i don't know what the hell that is about. Can anybody tell me if there is a way to modify the 1.7L intercooled gt kit to fit the cobra)and would like to run more than the 6psi it comes stock with, i would like to run 9psi with necessary forged internals and fuel upgrades of course but will i run into danger with excessively high charge temps even if i use a 160degree thermostat?

Thanks for any help