PDA

View Full Version : On board computer....

bbrence
07-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Can anyone confirm or deny the following.....with a high degree of authority?
I have been told that the on-board computer in the 03/04 Cobras, gradually adjusts to your driving style....degrading the tune on cars that are driven 'mildly'. In other words, these drivers often notice a decline in performance. Have been told that Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting will allow the computer to reset itself back to factory [out of the box] settings....resulting in like new performance. Sounds illogical to me, but.............

RF Cobra
07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Not sure who told you that but that is not what it does. Sounds like something a jealous GM owner would say. ;)

The computer adapts to your driving style to provide the best performance and gas mileage based on how you drive assuming you drive pretty much the same way. If you drive "mildly" for a long period it will adapt to that style. As soon as you get "aggressive" it will compensate and revert to stock programming basics if needed as it adapts to that style. It will not hurt your performance or detune the capabilities. Full throttle always reverts to base preset programming parameters. Disconnecting the battery resets the computer to stock settings and it will have to relearn how you drive. It also adapts to the changes in how your engine performs over time as parts wear (within normal tolerances) etc. This is why the EEC-IV was so good with the "5.0" V-8s. I got good performance with my Tbird and still had 28+ mpg on the interstate when travelling. :)
GM computers (unless they changed recently) are "hardwired" for one set of parameters only based on the stock configuration. So when Camaro owners etc. mod their cars they really need to get it retuned to get the best performance. Ford computer programming is adaptive within certain limits and that is why you can make modifications up to a certain level before needing a tune as the computer alters settings to adjust to the modification to achieve the best performance.

bbrence
07-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Sounds logical. I guess the guy had the information about half right.