PDA

View Full Version : Welding

kencobra
08-01-2005, 12:12 AM
I think it's ablout time I started working on the '66 coupe. I need to get the emblem and side scoop holes welded up but have no clue about welding.

What type of welding is needed to fill in the holes ? Does anyone know of someone with the correct type of portable welder that would make a house call and do a good job for some extra cash?

93KingCobra
08-01-2005, 12:20 AM
I could not tell you where to even look for one but I know that welding is defiantly an art form. Make sure they know what there doing or they could deform the metel buy getting it to hot.

Good luck

Jesse99
08-01-2005, 02:24 AM
A Wire Mig Welders is your best bet.. Very easy to use.. Just point and click.. :thumbsup: If I didn't live so far away I would help out.. :thumbsup:

kencobra
08-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I am not in a hurry as the car has been sitting here for several years but any time is a good time start the project back up again. If anyone knows of someone then point them in my direction.

Andy M
08-01-2005, 02:33 PM
If you are willing to pay someone a little more to have it done right, call Lucas Automotive at 713-462-0068. Ask for Greg. He is the owner. They do (among many other things) custom automotive restorations, including all types of welding (roll cages, subframes, etc.).

Tell Greg Andy Menard referred you if you call.

cobrapace94
08-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Are the fenders on the car? Is the car driveable?
Side scoop holes? Is something wrong with the side scoop holes?
A mig works on filling the holes, did it on my 67 & went with no emblems, look clean to me, even no "MUSTANG" on the rear deck or FORD on the hood. I brought mine to work & did it here with TIG. No welded here, but if you do get it welded, I have a grinder with scoth brite & sanding disks to smooth it out.

kencobra
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Car is intact but not driveable. I want the car to have that clean look and since it is not original now then filling in the holes is the way I want to go. I would also like to mini tub it sometime but need to get more info on that.

I really don't want to have it towed that is why I would like to have it done at home but thanks for the info anyway Andy.