PDA

View Full Version : Carpet causing throttle to strick open

kurtfriedrich
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
I had the unpleasant experience of having my throttle stick open about 3 weeks ago (04 Cobra). I was 100 miles from home in the middle of some wonderful mountain roads in the Cascades, and since I didn't feel like having it happen a 2nd time and maybe kill me, I took a knife and cut about an eight inch chunk of the carpet out so my pedal has no carpet near it.
I contacted my dealer and the service manager said he could not fix it, and needed to talk to Ford. (In the middle of the conversation he managed to work in an accusation that I had burnt my carpet with a ciggerette and I was looking for a free replacement). He called me today and confirmed that Ford would not fix my carpet. I guess Ford has not lost enough multimillion dollar car safety suits, and prefers to see if they can kill a few more people.

Luckily, a friend had seen an article (below).

Anyone else here had this problem? I am in contact with NHTSA, and it would be good to get them more names/incidents so that they can force Ford to fix this. Is there an active SVT supporter at Ford that I can contact through mail that might have more sense?

thanks,
Kurt

NHTSA Investigating 2003-2004 Ford Mustangs

Date Posted 07-15-2005

WASHINGTON National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is studying potential acceleration problems on the 2003-2004 Ford Mustang.

Models involved in the agency's investigation include the standard Mustang, Mustang Convertible and Mustang GT.

It's believed the design and placement of the driver-side carpet in these vehicles is causing unwanted acceleration. So far, seven complaints and no reports of accidents have been registered.

The Associated Press estimates 20,000 vehicles are thought to be involved in NHTSA's query.

What this means to you: If your 2003-2004 Mustang is grabbing the bit in its teeth, you may need to pull the rug from under its feet, see your dealer and follow up with a report to NHTSA.

rpalmer
08-01-2005, 10:08 PM
The carpet slid up and trapped the accelerator pedal on my '90 SHO while my wife was driving to the airport to pick up a job prospect.

In my complaint to Ford and my compalint to NHTSA I pointed out that other cars I owned (VW GTI) had pins and secure methods of fixing the carpets so they couldn't ride up.

It's rather unnerving when this happens.

I'm glad to see that Ford is so helpful and understanding. It just validates my last non-Ford car purchasing decision.

-RP

dewone
08-02-2005, 08:45 AM
They must have done away with the carpet hook. My 97 has a hook to keep the carpet in place! Perhaps you could put one in to secure it.

Why Try?
08-02-2005, 11:44 PM
gotta love my 1996 Cobra, i got the hook in mine:thumbsup:

sssvtcobra
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
My '04 has the hook in mine. Although I did notice that there is a hump under the carpet towards the right. I don't know what's under the carpet, but I might have to find out.

ausie
08-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I have the hook in mine too. I did notice one thing though when compared to the 01 model, the throttle is missing the redundant return spring on the 04 but was there on the 01. I do not remember if the 01 has the coiled throttle spring though. Perhaps some sticky tape could be used to keep the carpet in place (not the matt but the carpet itself).