PDA

View Full Version : Tires, tires, tires

BMW_Eater
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
What to do with limated funds?! I am new to the forum and have had my 99 Cobra for 1 year now. Need advise on tire selection. Last year I bought Kumo 712's for the street and they are close to the ware bars now but could go a little longer.

The ideal tire will be for street and open track days. Good in the rain will be a major conderation. I don't like slowing down for the rain. I have run track rubber on other cars but I will need to wait another season before I can buy new rims and track rubber.

What tire do you all suggest? Pilot Sports?, Street Nitto 555's, or other?

Any advise would be great!

:) Current mods: Kenny Brown Stgreet/track package, Roll Bar, MagnaFlow exhaust, Steeda shifter...

RF Cobra
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
First recommendation would be to search and find the threads previously done on tires since this has been covered quite a bit. A couple of the threads are pretty long and they are full of good information and cover the popular tire choices (including those you listed). :thumbsup:

I went through the stock Goodyears pretty quick with normal driving which seems typical from what others have said, and now have Kumho Ecstas. They seem to work well but I have not had a chance to run them on the track yet.

Here is one of the tire threads: http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6403

beerkat
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I run the NT555 street on my Cobra. Use same tires for street and open track. I ran them on my Lighting shen I was using it for open track events. I think that for wear and versatility they are hard to beat.:thumbsup:

BMW_Eater
08-03-2005, 09:16 PM
:D thanks for the advise and the thred link. I have been searching but don't always frin exactly want I am looking for right off. Thank you again.

:doubt: Now...any advise on best rims and gears. I am thinking .373 would be a best all around gear. I do a lot of highway miles and set the cruise at 80-90.

Also Steeda is telling me that I will need to buy a $100+:mad: box to recalibrate my spedo...? Is that real?

RF Cobra
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
:D thanks for the advise and the thred link. I have been searching but don't always frin exactly want I am looking for right off. Thank you again.

:doubt: Now...any advise on best rims and gears. I am thinking .373 would be a best all around gear. I do a lot of highway miles and set the cruise at 80-90.

Also Steeda is telling me that I will need to buy a $100+:mad: box to recalibrate my spedo...? Is that real?Yeah, searches aren't always as easy as some people make them out to be. It depends on what you are searching for. A search on tires gives you a lot of threads unrelated to what you are looking for.

If it was me, I would go with the 373 gear due to the highway driving.

I would think you could just replace the speedo gear which is not very expensive.

BMW_Eater
08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Steeda told me that you can not replace the speedo gears after 96?

dewone
08-04-2005, 08:44 AM
I've read that alot of guys are using speedcal may look into that.

ausie
08-05-2005, 07:59 AM
If you want good overall tire that bites great in dry or wet; I have had the following:

Toyo Proxies T1-S: Probably the best tire I ever had. Great handling on dry and wet. I have driven in heavy rainfall with these and never hydroplaned even with the tread down to the wear bars in the rear. Other benefits: perfect ride, they do not follow the pavement if it is uneven or grooved. Compound remains consistant throughout the life of the tire. (have never driven in the snow with these and do not plan on it either. Surprisingly though they handled good in cold weather when the temperature was below freezing. These are a summer tire only and not recommended to drive in the snow! )

Bridgestone Potenza S-03: Second best tire I ever had. Great on dry surface and wet. Poor traction when the tires wear down (even on dry pavement). They do not bite as well as the Toyo's on launching. Poor tracking on any pavement when speeds are low (tires seem to grab the slightest groove in the road and can be unpredictable, however when pushing the limits, they are great and never break under hard cornering. (summer tire only!!!!!! never attempt to use these in cold weather, if you even think driving in the snow is a challenge, they are dangerous even if there is just a dusting on the street). Temperatures below 45F not good. )

Michillin Pilot Sports (AS): These were the tires I could not wait to get off the car. They wear like iron and they feel like you are driving on such. Not grippy enough and break early when cornering. Tracking gives an unpredictable ride at low speeds (far worse than the Bridgestone's) I would not recommend driving in the rain or wet surface with these. The AS have a mud & snow rating and yes I had to drive in the snow with them once, all I could do was throw rooster tails and go no where fast. I would not recommend the Pilot Sports AS to anyone. As for the summer tire only version, not sure. Perhaps they are more suitable on a VW or BMW since they lack the torque and speed capability of a Cobra.

IF you only have one car and need to use it in the snow, your best bet is to get some low profile snow tires. I have a set of Dunlop snow tires for all 4 corners and they are great in cold weather, snow and ice. OF course I do not use the Cobra in the winter unless my 4x4 is not functional (which is usually when it breaks down and fails to work).

sssvtcobra
08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
I can also vote for the Toyo T1's. They are by far the best tire I have ever had. I've had the Toyo FZ4's, which are ok. They're a tough tire, it takes awhile to wear them down. But I don't recommend driving like your on a road coarse with them. I've also had some ventus tires. They were horrible. But I needed tires and fast. And I was a little low on cash, cheap tires but they lasted longer than I thought they would but horrible traction.

I don't drive hard around corners or do burnouts. So my tires last me a little longer than others. I absolutely hate buying tires.

Toyo T1's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ausie
08-06-2005, 12:31 PM
If you can tolerate the low speed tracking issues with the Bridgestone tires (requires both hands on the wheel most of the time) they are probably the best high speed tire I ever had on the car. I would have bought them again if it were not for the tires following any groove in the road surface at low speed, but when pushing the limits, they would not give or break traction when taking exit ramps at high speed. I do like the Toyo Proxies better since there is more contact per square inch. I do not feel as confident on taking exit ramps at the same speed as I did with the Bridgestone's. They are about the same, but the Toyo's offered a more comfortable ride and did not wander at all at low speeds. Wheel hop is terrible when pulling out on a wet surface if you spin the rear end, but once you are moving it is hard to tell that you are driving on a wet road. I do not perform the smoke the tires if you have them driving, but I do push the car to its limits. I believe I got more milage out of the Bridgestones over the Toyo's (bridgestone 12k miles on a 10x18) (Toyo 10k miles on same wheel). I only had the Bridgestone tires on the 04 for 2k miles. I only expect a single season out of the rear tires (1 year) and I usually get twice the life out of the front end anyway since I cannot rotate them. I think I will stay with Toyo's for the time being.

sssvtcobra
08-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I thought of trying the Bridgestone's next. But right now between the all the tires I have had the T1's are by far the best tire. I feel pretty confident and safe in these. I just took on an on ramp at 85 the other day and no squealing or a feeling that the tires were going to brake loose. Although the on ramp is slightly banked, the car felt great.

BMW_Eater
08-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the imput. :thumbsup: This really helps. What do ya know about hte BFGoodrich KDW's? Tirerack has them rated almost as good as the Bridgestones. But with a large cost difference $144 each on KDW and $224 on Bridgestone. Any advise?

ausie
08-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I have been thinking alot about tires lately, I am also in the same predicament (less than 1/16 of an inch remaining in the rear end). I was planning on getting new rubber but found that the T1-S is no longer available in my area. Now replaced with T1-R (supposed to have a stiffer side wall).

For open track and road surface, a stiff side wall reduces any roll. The Bridgestone S-03's probably had the stiffest side wall I have ever seen. When I had just the factory wheels, I was able to go any place to have tires mounted, but now that is not an option (must have reverse mount equipment). I have compared the BFG's to the Stone's and noticed that the side wall on the BFG was much softer. The BFG would provide for a better ride than the Stones since they fell like stones when you drive over bumps. I tried the Toyo's to find a more predictable tire for everyday use and found that I like them more than the Bridgestones.

I prefer a mixed bag tire, one that holds up well on the corner carving, as well as one that hooks up when you need it too. I do like the Toyo T1-S very much which stayed sticky to the bitter end (actually they are perfect right now for drag racing but not good enough to pass inspection next month). If you want a good opinion, check out tirerack and read owner's opinions on the tire reviews since they have both bridgestones and BFG's. What I found on my own experience, tires that have solid center ribs will jerk around on the streets at low speeds (bstone potenza S-03 and Mich. Pilot Sports-AS) usually the posted speed limit if below 40mph. I would rate the Bridgestones with high regard but found them harsh for every day driving. These are not a tire you would even consider to drive on the street if there is one flake of snow on the road. I had to do that once when my truck was in the shop.

I have had many different tires on the 01 and liked the Bridgestones, but on the 04 they did not work all that well since the easily broke loose in the rear (probably because they had over 10k miles on them and the compound of the tire became less sticky). In my opinion, I like the Toyo's far better than the Bridgestones. The BFG KDW's are probably a good tire, but avoid the KDW-II's (the ones with really agressive large blocks) I was interested in them since they looked like good tires but have read many bad reviews on them (they were basically designed for SUV's). Come this wednesday, I will have a new set of the Toyo T1-R's on the rear end. Hopefully I will like them as much as the T1-S.

ausie
08-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Tire difference on the same wheel but different car (black 01, silver 04)
note the center rib on the bridgestones (on the black car).