PDA

View Full Version : 99 cobra

gnats4281969
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
I am new to the world of cobra's but there is a 99 vert for sale locally unmolested with 52000 kms I am aware that in 99 there were issues in regards to the power outage and Ford recalled the cobra for some upgrades...what were these upgrades, and how do I find out if this particular cobra followed through on the upgrades..any other advice would be appreciated...thanks Joe

smashedheadcat
08-05-2005, 09:06 PM
To find out if your car was in for this recall, I'm sure the local ford dealer could give you that info. Or, have your VIN# handy and call up 1-800-FORDSVT and they'll tell you. The work done includes:
1. Extrude honed intake
2. Different exhaust
3. Reflash of stock computer

svtmc-g
08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I was told that some also got different heads. I called the svt number. They were VERY helpful. I gave them my VIN and they found out that my car had the recall done. The person on the phone informed that it wasn't technically a "recall". It was more of an out-of-pocket expense, therefore some cobra's were not updated. Mine had a new computer, exhaust, heads, and intake. The guy that owned it was a wealthy fella so he paid to have it all done. he wanted the full 320 horses, I guess.
Matt

tcrews
08-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Nope, it was a recall, free of charge to the owner.

New intake (extrude honed), new catback (better flowing) and a reflashed computer. That's it, nothing else.

svtmc-g
08-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Really?(surprised) Well, that's not the info Matt at SVT told me. He read me the info off of his computer. Considering the heads were updated for 2001 maybe my previous owner had that done in addition. Matt said that it wasn't technically a recall. There was nothing wrong with the motor, they just weren't making the promised horsepower. Hense the reason not all 99 cobra's had the items updated. It's not that i don't believe you, I'll just believe SVT first. They informed me it wasn't 100% paid for. Not tryin to flame you here just so you know. weird.
Matt

tcrews
08-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Sorry you were misinformed and by a SVT rep at that. It was a recall, was free to ALL '99 Cobra's and there were only 3 things performed (intake, exhaust, computer).

And that is correct, nothing wrong with the motor at all, just extra flashing in the intake (extrude honing cleaned that out), a slightly more restrictive muffler system (so replacing the catback fixed that) and a more aggressive tune to the computer (bringing the power up to advertised numbers).

And most definitely it was 100% paid for by FORD, not by the customers/owners.

Just an FYI...
General Recalls
TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
99B27 DEC 99 Campaign - Engine Performance Upgrade (http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index2.html)

cobrabitn
08-11-2005, 01:04 AM
What Tom said!

I still have my letter where they recalled my 1999 Cobra for the power upgrade. They also put a green dot? on the intake to let you know the upgrade was completed and the dealership put a "reflash the computer" sticker under the hood lip to let you know the date of the reflash and upgraded recall completed.

:thumbsup:

svtmc-g
08-11-2005, 04:47 AM
Well bend me over and call me suzy!haha Well, I guess Matt @ SVT is an uninformed chump or something. Oh well. He said not everyone had the work done(which doesn't make sense to me)so i asked him to check my vin and he said mine was done. Anyway...blAH BLAH BLAH....punk!:D So....how about them lakers!hee hee **side stepping out of view**

Matt

RF Cobra
08-11-2005, 11:44 AM
His response to you was probably more of a PR thing in the hopes that you didn't remember all the controversy and media coverage about the problem. Ford pinned the problem on their suppliers, so I guess he may have thought referring to it as a recall would make you think it was due to a problem with Ford. Or he could just be clueless like those "experts" at most auto parts stores. :dunno:

If the previous owner was a rich guy like some of the ones we've done work for he very well could have paid for all the work done on that car. Some people just like to throw their money around even when they don't have to.

I just wish some of them would throw it at me! :D

flynfink
08-11-2005, 12:07 PM
there was also a recall on the rear suspension, something about the rear knuckles.

All we're done on my 99'

Rick@Amazon
08-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Joe, If you are in the SC area just drop by the shop and I'll tell you if all the updates where done or not. The 2 main things of coarse are the tumble port heads and extrude honed intake.

Rick

svtmc-g
08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Rick. So they DID offer an update with the heads? :scratch:
Matt