PDA

View Full Version : 03 Cobra purchase

offcrjim
08-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, however not new to cobra ownership. I presently own a 96 Cobra, but am looking to upgrade to an 03. I would like to hear from any and all owner, past and present as to what to look out for when purchasing one. Please tell me if there are any mechanical issues that I should be wary of.
The one that I am looking at has 7,000 miles on it and is being sold by the original owner. Thanks, Offcrjim. (Nevada car)

blk04cobra1
08-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Main thing to ask is if it has/had the "tick"...basically some of the 03/04's have had a "tick" in one of their heads, that is said to lead to problems down the road, Ford is replacing them under warranty, but it's always nice to ask. Also, ask if there is still a warranty on the car, some people modify them and take them in to a dealer who voids their warranty b/c of the mods, then sell them w/out the factory warranty (i would check the VIN personally at Ford, dont rely on the sellers word on this one)...other than that, with only 7k miles, you should be good to go :thumbsup:

Linn@Amazon
08-08-2005, 10:38 PM
we have our 03 for sale..6800 miles and we are in SC..if you are interested let me know and I will fill you in on the details...if you are looking for a car that is already built with all the goodies this one is for you

InfamousSVT
08-09-2005, 05:13 AM
Yeah, if you want a car that has been done right then Amazon Racing's car is the ticket!

Whipple charged and ready to go :flash:

ausie
08-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Some of the early 03's had cooling issues in the driver side head. Look for a blue dot on the head (if it is missing, then it may not have the revised heads). Ford began building the 03 in late 2002 then all of a sudden stopped production due to casting issues. Then they started production back up in February or March of 03 with the corrections (which is when they added the blue paint dot which looks like blue chaulk than paint). As for the tick, if it is piston slap you would hear that a few seconds after starting the car, usually it is hard to hear but will sound like a diesel engine. If it has it or not, always best to let the motor warm up before driving since it has forged aluminum pistons, that gives them time to expand properly in the cylinders. Once on rare occasions I may hear a bit of piston slap after start up (when the motor is cold and has sit for a few days). The injectors make far more noise than the piston slap but it can be heard when standing by the drivers door.

IF this is not the same thing as the tick, then I guess I do not have it. :D

FearTheSnake
08-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi All, I'm new to this forum, however not new to cobra ownership. I presently own a 96 Cobra, but am looking to upgrade to an 03. I would like to hear from any and all owner, past and present as to what to look out for when purchasing one. Please tell me if there are any mechanical issues that I should be wary of.
The one that I am looking at has 7,000 miles on it and is being sold by the original owner. Thanks, Offcrjim. (Nevada car)
The '03 Linn is referring to is a SWEEEET ride. You may want to check it out. I think it's a good deal for what you will get.