PDA

View Full Version : 03/04 Supercharger on a 96 ?

mystksnk_631
08-08-2005, 02:11 PM
This might be a dumb question but....

Would a take off eaton supercharger from the 03/04s work on my 96? and what all mode would be done to make it work? I want extra power but cant afford a kb or any other supercharger and was was curious to see if this would be a cheaper route, if its possible....

Thanks for any info

Russell

:D

sssvtcobra
08-08-2005, 10:33 PM
From what I have read and heard it isn't that easy or cheap. I can't remember all the stuff that is needed to do the swap but there is quite a bit of stuff that is needed from an '03/'04. By the time you purchase all the stuff that is needed you end up by spending the same amount of $$ that you would have if you bought a S/C that was designed for your year Cobra.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that knows a little more than I do. I wanted to do the same thing with my old '01 but I was just better off buying an '04.

InfamousSVT
08-09-2005, 04:05 AM
Exactly what he said!

You don't want to go through the head ache and pain of doing it. When it's all said and done with you are better off just purchasing a supercharger for your application.
It can be done, but at a high price! People that have done it, have done it for the chance to prove people wrong and just cause they had the money I guess. Since you are just wanting more power, I'd look else were to achieve that.

What are your mods as of right now and where would you like to be with your horsepower?
The cheapest and easiest way to get horsepower is to throw the bottle on it. Some say that it isn's safe, but they're plenty of kits out there that have a computer controlled system to insure a safe working kit. If nothing else, have a tuner install the nitrous.
The power wouldn't always be there like a supercharger, but atleast you will know it's there when you need it!

Just my .02 cents worth of useless info :D

dewone
08-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Got to agree with the above. Don't stuff the round peg in a square hole. You may also notice that your year(or our years of) cars react better to a centrifical super charger lots of folks are posting some great dyno numbers with these units in their cars. Just wait and save up for it.

Why Try?
08-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Got to agree with the above. Don't stuff the round peg in a square hole. You may also notice that your year(or our years of) cars react better to a centrifical super charger lots of folks are posting some great dyno numbers with these units in their cars. Just wait and save up for it.
Thats right, like Dewone said and Infamous, just wait it out, i went through the same thing and did alot (i mean alot) of research before i ended up going Vortech, i mean centerficial superchargers not only respond better to our cars (do to higher rpms then GT's) but we give you more room to grow. How much you got to spend, i can look out for you a few kits.

mystksnk_631
08-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks to all, i started thingking about it and knew this was the best place to ask.

What are your mods as of right now and where would you like to be with your horsepower?

I dyno'd with the club a while back and had around 276 rwhp, and around 279 tq, the on thing i have done to the car is installed the magnapack catback on it. Its soon to be paid off and i would like to start getting more mods for it, as well as work on some cosmetic areas, im just not sure where the best place to start is. As far as where i would like to be hp wise, im not really sure, it always starts with a few bolt-ons, right? :D for now anything over 300 would be good for me.

Why Try?
08-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks to all, i started thingking about it and knew this was the best place to ask.

I dyno'd with the club a while back and had around 276 rwhp, and around 279 tq, the on thing i have done to the car is installed the magnapack catback on it. Its soon to be paid off and i would like to start getting more mods for it, as well as work on some cosmetic areas, im just not sure where the best place to start is. As far as where i would like to be hp wise, im not really sure, it always starts with a few bolt-ons, right? :D for now anything over 300 would be good for me.If i was you and your working on cosmetic area's first then stay on that, its usally the cheapest area.....but make sure you think long term what you want (blower, N/A) because i have seen (and have myself) wasted money from doing something more than once, so just get a list of what you want. I mean if your looking for ideas, i would just lower your car with some H&R SS Springs, get Tokico Shock/Struts some CC Plates then tint the windows and maybe some rims.. after that its all motor and drivetrain, but like i said plan it out, remember that one thing leads to another when pushing power, if you get a supercharger with all the supporting items (MAF, Injectors, Fuel Pump, etc) then you'll be pushing out close to 400 at the wheels, that means clutch/flywheel up grade needed, after that you will need to beef up the rear end (auburn diff, 31 spline axles, etc) to hold that power, then after those hard launches look for the tranny to start going, so time to updrade to a TKO 500/600 or TREMEC T-56 then you'll be ok till your motor goes or you want to push more boost through your motor and you'll need forged internals, happy hunting and welcome to the endless pit, just for info purposes, i have put close to 9K in my car and am just getting cracked into it (signature) still need a built motor and new tranny and ill be good for awhile:thumbsup: if you have any more questions just hit me up and i can gladly help