PDA

View Full Version : aluminum drive shafts

tazzracing1
08-09-2005, 08:45 PM
I want to get an aluminum drive shaft for my 97. Where can I get the best price or does someone have one for sale??
Please email me if you have one for sale.
tazzracing1@juno.com

Why Try?
08-09-2005, 09:13 PM
try www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/) just get the FMS (Ford Motorsports) one

The Gord
08-12-2005, 03:00 PM
how much HP can the aluminum driveshaft handle?

whitestang04GT
08-12-2005, 08:22 PM
$230 http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=456

tazzracing1
11-15-2005, 07:44 PM
installed aluminum driveshaft today. what a difference it makes now no vibration and no noise. The best deal I could find was through Summit Racing $138.00 shipped and took a day to get. :)

dewone
11-16-2005, 07:26 AM
To cool. What made you start looking in the first place.

WVSNS&
11-16-2005, 08:23 AM
I did the shaft and upgraded to the aluminum flywheel and clutch assembly as well. All I can say is incredible! My gas mileage went up(did I say that). At least around town it did. Zero rolling resistance or parasitic drag. Awesome!

tazzracing1
11-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I changed the gears which speeds up the rotation of the drive shaft and it ends up give you unwanted vibration. I need to correct the price though it was $238.00 shipped. I did so many searchs to beat the price from summit and could not find a better price. I would diffently consider change to an aluminum driveshaft if you are going to do a gear swap.

The Gord
11-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Ive heard that the vibration comes as a result of an improper gear install. Resetting the angle of the pinion is apparently the problem, or some sort of bearing/ring in the yolk of the driveshaft goes bad?

tazzracing1
11-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Ujoints can go bd. But remember when you change gears you also end up spinning the driveshaft fast than it was intended for and the stock driveshaft is also heavier. This seems to be an common issue when changing gears and like others I have heard from it occurs around 75mph +. I do know if it was an improper gear set up or pinion angle I would not have gears left in my car after a year of driving and if was u-joints it would be to include the others it would be all the time

psycho43142
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Pinion angle has nothing to do with how the gears are set up, more in how the differential housing is set in the car. Basically pinion angle is the differnce in the angle of your driveshaft in comparison with the angle of your pinion with the car at rest. The idea is that at full acceleration the housing has some wind up and you want to have a perfectly aligned unit(drive shaft and pinion) as any misalignment through the u-joint will be innefficient and cost you horsepower. You would be surprised what a difference it can make.

The Gord
11-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Pinion angle has nothing to do with how the gears are set up, more in how the differential housing is set in the car. .
This Iknow, but when they install gears in an IRS dont they remove the differential housing altogether? I could see how vibrations coudl arise if the differential housing were not set at the proper angle.

WOPONY98
11-26-2005, 02:29 PM
I recently added the Steeda Upper control arms (non-adjustable) and I have 4:10 gears in my cobra. Since adding the UCA, I get terrible vibrations at speeds around 85-90mph. Steed told me this is due to my gear ratio. They said if I had 3:73's or 3:55's I wouldn't have this problem. :mad: Needless to say once I get the car up to 100 then back down the vibration isn't so bad at 85/90mph. I will say this my woman loves the vibration.:eek: :D So good and bad I guess.

I will add the driveshaft aluminum in the next few months and hope this helps some with my vibration. I think my true answer here is to upgrade my rear end.

tazzracing1
11-26-2005, 05:13 PM
This is the the same speed that my problem occured and I'm running 373's it's cuased by changing speed of rotation of the driveshaft. I still have a hint of vibration but nothing to complain about. The new driveshaft will make a big difference, it should get rid of some of the noise you inherit with changing the control arms.