PDA

View Full Version : Installed Metco 2 lb Lower Pulley Kit

RR03Cobra
08-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks to Ron(Metco) and Rick(Amazon) for their matchless work on the snake.
Adding the 2 lb lower definitely increased the bottom end tq :bounce: Feels like a different car!! The Metco crew did a great job installing the kit and Rick did a fab. job with a tune. I can't wait to put it on the dyno and let Rick dial it in!
Does it seem to everyone that ever since Amazon has appeared, cars are getting faster? :flash:

blk04cobra1
08-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Im thinking about going with a 4lb lower...what did it set you back, if you dont mind me asking?

InfamousSVT
08-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I put the 2lb lower on mine a few weeks back.........now with the Amazon tune in it, I'm loving it. Can't wait to get it on the dyno to have Rick really dial it in :D

kilroy
08-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Does it seem to everyone that ever since Amazon has appeared, cars are getting faster?That's an understatement :D

InfamousSVT
08-15-2005, 12:07 AM
That's an understatement :D
Very True :thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

NO 5 OH
08-15-2005, 02:33 AM
I put the 2lb lower on mine a few weeks back.........now with the Amazon tune in it, I'm loving it. Can't wait to get it on the dyno to have Rick really dial it in :D

*clears throat* Now who was it that put that lower on for ya there Jason */clears throat* Wasn't that a very nice install of them for you too :D

Remember... always give credit where credit is due young padiwan ;);)

Shannon

InfamousSVT
08-15-2005, 02:41 AM
Ok, I guess a bad choice of words...............but I HAD the 2 lb. lower put on mine a few weeks back. :D

ausie
09-06-2005, 06:25 AM
Changing the lower pully can lead to some hidden problems. You may need to change the alternator pully so the RPM of the alternator does not spin too fast (most alternators have a maximum RPM that can be sustained before it no longer functions properly). Also have the alternator voltage monitored and data logged when you get tuned. A drop in voltage will reduce fuel pressure and will lower the injector voltage resulting in a lean condition. The alternator output should not drop below 13.8Volts, if it does it will thow everything out of whack in the tune since the change in voltage will bee seen everywhere. With the stock set up, at idle the output voltage of the alternator is 14.4v. Just an FYI. :thumbsup:

Dave B.
09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Please allow me to ask this,,,,,,,I have a 2.76 pulley, plus other goodies,
I was told the 2.76 pulley already heated up the air so much as to be inefficient even with the OEM lower pulley,

thats why the other superchargers do so much better with the same boost numbers,,,,,,now we come along and spin it all even fast and yes I have a Gordsford heat exchanger to help with that issue,

my question is whats the differance between using a 2.76 pulley then leaving all the OEM pulleys on, vs using a 2.93 pulley and changing the lower to a 2 or 4 LBs pulley,,,,which is the better why to go??

InfamousSVT
09-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Dave B.

Either way you go you are going to get the same boost numbers. Some people say that you get a little more torque with the lower crank pulleys. No matter which way you get boost, boost is boost!
Some people like the lower pulley because once the kit is on it's just a matter of unbolting and bolting up a bigger ring for more boost. Rather than use a pulley puller take the pulley off then press on another pulley on the supercharger.

Just a matter of preference I believe. Although, using a really small supercharger pulley without the idler you will get more belt slip.

Larger supercharger pulley = more belt wrap (less slip)

Dave B.
09-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Makes sence to me,,,,,but what about the point the other guy made about it over reving the Altenator?

InfamousSVT
09-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Makes sence to me,,,,,but what about the point the other guy made about it over reving the Altenator?
This is very true! When purchasing the lower crank pulley system, when deciding on which pulley size you will be using you will need to purchase a pulley for the alternator as well, so that you don't over spin it!

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/ford_mustang_cobra.html

They have two different size alternator pulleys depending on which size lower you are going with.

3.20" overdriven alternator pulley (2-4lb lower)
3.50" overdriven alternator pulley (6/8lb lower)

Hope this helps!

ausie
09-07-2005, 06:20 AM
I am just making a point so when you get your Cobra tuned to have the tuner data log the battery voltage so you do not have any problems down the road. I know there are alternator pullies for that purpose to prevent overspinning the alternator. However if the voltage drops off during the tune it can be corrected if it was data logged. I am sure most tuners will do this but not all of them. Since I am in the market for some bolt on upgrades I usually end up finding mistakes made by others that had discovered some problems. Here is a link I found interesting.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34527

InfamousSVT
09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
I've read that as well Ausie! Very good thread to read up on for those looking to do the crank pulley! :thumbsup: