PDA

View Full Version : new...but no Cobra yet...

CobraJay
08-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi. I am Jason. I am thinking about buying a white 98 Cobra, but I have been looking for a blue one with no luck. There are many blue ones out there for sale, but i don't like the black interior. I would prefer tan or gray. I had a 95 GT with black interior before and it didn't feel like it was for me. I had a 95 GTS before that one with gray int., but it was burned down to the ground by a jeep that caught fire next to it at my apartment complex.

Well anyhow, I see this is a nice forum and I hope to learn a lot from here with my first Cobra DOHC.

BTW, did any blue Cobras come without a black interior?? The white one I am looking at has tan. Thanks.:)

dewone
08-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Usually when buying a used car you don't shop for color. Your looking for the best car for your money. Just look at each available vechicle for it's own merits and spend your money wisely.

CobraJay
08-15-2005, 02:25 PM
THanks. I'm already going to look/buy at the Cobra I mentioned tomorrow or Wed. I already spoke to the seller and he says it's in pristine condition.

tcrews
08-15-2005, 02:26 PM
All '98 Bright Atlantic Blue and Chrome Yellow Cobra's have black interior.

If you want tan interior (the only other color choice) you'll have to get a white, red or black Cobra.

Cobra's had two options, Tan cloth/leather or Black cloth/leather. Later in the run of '98s......Leather was standard. Still, Blue and Yellow only had one color option for interior....BLACK.

AirForce1
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
regardless of what cobra you get you will love it.:thumbsup:

I bought mine of of ebay when it was one yeas old and i drive it only every other weekend. but every time i drive the cobra im lovin every minute of it.:p :D

CobraJay
08-21-2005, 12:22 AM
OK, I just got back from Tampa to pick up the white 98 Cobra. I am happy and upset at the same time.

The good: Why haven't I gotten this car earlier

The bad: The seller said this thing was completely f'n stock. I test drove it and it felt stock (I didn't go all the way up in the RPM's)....but I didn't take it on the highway until after the deal. As soon as I was up to about 80MPH on the highway on my way back to south FL, the tach reads 3000 freakin' RPM's in 5th. What's worse, it doesn't even have an aluminum drive shaft so I was vibrating really bad. So I get home after the 300 mile trip, and the tranny sounds strange, but it shifts just fine. 1st gear is a little noisy, is this normal? I basically wanted an un-abused car.

As far as I could tell, the rest of the car is dead stock, down to the exhaust. But it has a K&N filter in the factory air box.

Also, after owning two 95 GT's, this 98 Cobra seems to have VERY loud road noise, especially from the back. I don't remember the GT's being like that at all. Are your Cobra's like that too?

tcrews
08-21-2005, 03:34 AM
You've got gears and a K&N, not really all that far from stock and doesn't mean the car's been abused. A stock car can be abused just as easily. Gears are one of the first mods (required really) so you've already got that out of the way. These engines love the RPMs so don't fret over 3,000 rpm @ 80mph, the car loves it. Sounds like 4.30 gears so those are just PERFECT!! Great all around gear and really nice on the 1/4 mile.

Reindexing the stock driveshaft could cure your vibration issues. Aluminum driveshafts are just lighter, not balanced better. As for noise, could be a "okay" gear job instead of a "great" gear job when the rear gears where swapped.

CobraJay
08-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Oh Trust me, I'm not mad at all about it having gears already, just not a balanced driveshaft. Couldn't that create damage to the tranny/rear end after a while? After the non stop drive home, I finally come to a stop, but first gear became very noisy...

I opened her up on the highway up to about 115 mph and I soon as I let off the gas, the vibration was very violent.

Aside to all that, the car is cherry. Now, to go outside to get the bugs off of the front:D

smashedheadcat
08-22-2005, 06:19 AM
The vibration could be a few different things. First thing I could do is check to see if the wheel weights fell of of one of the rear wheels. Also, the tranny whine could be loose driveshaft bolts (where it goes to the rear). It can happen. I would check those things first, and if all looks good, take it a shop you trust and have them re-index your driveshaft for you, and see if that helps. Also, maybe get your rear tires rebalanced. This would be a good place to start I think.

CobraJay
08-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks Josh. Hey, do these cars come with spacers behind the rear wheels? I have what it looks like 1" - 1.5" spacers.

smashedheadcat
08-22-2005, 11:44 AM
You're welcome Jason. These cars do not come with spacers, but it isn't that uncommon to see them installed in the rears. Biggest reason is to make the rear wheels/tires sit flush with the rear fenders. It gives it a more "beefy" stance. The the other way to get the better "beefy" look is actually run a wider wheel (17x10.5) rear wheel. So you have an aftermarket set of spacers.

Stavesacre21
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
I opened her up on the highway up to about 115 mph and I soon as I let off the gas, the vibration was very violent. I was in the same boat as you jay. I hate to tell you, but if you haven't heard by now, the T-45 is a total peice of @#$%. I was in the same boat as you...single owner, old man...blah blah blah. Car drove flawless (bone stock), and saw no problems. Didn't matter.

Apparently he didn't know how to drive.

New T-45 and clutch - $2300 installed

There is a huge, long post on my problems in the 4.6L forum. Hope it doesn't come to that with you.

P.S. - Never, under any circumstances, go to AAMCO

CobraJay
09-04-2005, 02:21 PM
OK I just installed a FMS alum. driveshaft and lots of the vibration disappeared (pheau!!) But, also wanting to know what gears I had, I turned the rear wheel and watching the drive shaft turn, not even a full 4 turns. It has to have 3.73's :( Well what am I going to do. I guess it will have to stay that way for a while since gas prices are crazy. But I'll do 4.30's later on.

First few things on the list is to put on the 180 hypertech thermostat. Where is it anyway? Behind the alternator? I couldn't see it.

Other things it needs are a new clutch, make sure I have emergency funds for a new tranny because this one sounds terrible. sub frame connectors, Bassani cat-back, lowering springs/shocks, the other usuals.

Oh, I'm missing the tower brace!! :mad:

tcrews
09-04-2005, 05:16 PM
First few things on the list is to put on the 180 hypertech thermostat. Where is it anyway? Behind the alternator? I couldn't see it.

Other things it needs are a new clutch, make sure I have emergency funds for a new tranny because this one sounds terrible. sub frame connectors, Bassani cat-back, lowering springs/shocks, the other usuals.

Oh, I'm missing the tower brace!! :mad:
Thermostat change is a pretty useless mod unless yours is failing. It's not going to do you one bit of good.

As for the strut tower brace, '98 Cobras did not come with them from the factory.

Stavesacre21
09-04-2005, 10:58 PM
As for the strut tower brace, '98 Cobras did not come with them from the factory.And by the way it sounds from most people, it's not really very useful unless you've got a vert, and/or plan on doing serious autocross