PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust help!!!!!

svtmc-g
08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Hey fella's. I found a BBK o/r x-pipe and a Flowmaster(american thunder) catback for sale. $100 for the x and $150 for the Flows, both used but in perfect shape.I know this will flow better than my stock set-up but will it sound good as well? I dislike some of the exhaust set-ups on stangs that sound high pitched and V6-like. I want the deeper rumble. It's ok if it wakes the dead when i get on it. You all have more experience than I. Please help. what should i expect from a set-up like this. HELP
Matt :bounce:

CobraJay
08-14-2005, 07:35 PM
I had the same setup but on a 95 Stang 5.0. A BBK x-pipe will sound TERRIBLE with Flowmasters. Even the Bassani X will sound just as bad. Because of their X design. You should get a nice sound with a Dr Gas or similar x-pipe design with the flow's. I also tried that setup with BBK long tub headers and the pitch from the Flow's was sweet (on the 5.0). I don't know about the DOHC as I don't have one yet but I am looking for a Cobra.

svtmc-g
08-15-2005, 04:49 AM
good to know. My cobra has the different factory cat-back with resonators.(recall change) I wonder what an x-pipe would sound like with that or the Flows with my factory h-pipe. Anyone? Just throwin out ideas.
Matt

dewone
08-15-2005, 07:53 AM
H pipe will be louder. The X pipe provides better HP Gains. Its up to you.

kilroy
08-15-2005, 08:38 AM
I had the same setup but on a 95 Stang 5.0. A BBK x-pipe will sound TERRIBLE with Flowmasters. Even the Bassani X will sound just as bad. Because of their X design. You should get a nice sound with a Dr Gas or similar x-pipe design with the flow's. I also tried that setup with BBK long tub headers and the pitch from the Flow's was sweet (on the 5.0). I don't know about the DOHC as I don't have one yet but I am looking for a Cobra. Sound is a personal preference. Some like what I do not & visa-versa. Having a few combos over the last few years I have a little knowledge on the subject matter... Hit this link (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40967&highlight=marbles)& look for "kilroy" posts & follow along. Bottom line is that unless you like really ratty sounding exhaust on decel, stay away from a offroad x-pipe / chambered muffler combo. If you have cats - the sound isn't near as pronounced. Also, no matter how hard you try, a DOHC will not sound like an OHV motor. X-pipes on cammers tend to make the car sound even more exotic, imo.

For deepest rumble, I'd go h-pipe & straight through muffler like a Borla/Magnaflow/Dynomax Ultra-flow.

It's been said h-pipe shows more TQ where x-pipe shows more HP.

svtmc-g
08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
well, I definately want the x-pipe more for hp gains. My car has straight through mufflers already with the factory H-pipe. And i LOVE the way it sounds, I'd just like a little more volume. From what you've stated kilroy, I'd be better off just putting on the x-pipe. I would eventually get an slp loudmouth.(the slp looks exactly like what I already have?)The only argument I've heard is that with an x-pipe and straight-through mufflers, you lose alot of back-pressure which I heard steals your low-end torque. I don't want to lose any low-end torque at the same time. I'd rather gain a bit. True?
Matt

kilroy
08-16-2005, 01:27 AM
well, I definately want the x-pipe more for hp gains. My car has straight through mufflers already with the factory H-pipe. And i LOVE the way it sounds, I'd just like a little more volume. From what you've stated kilroy, I'd be better off just putting on the x-pipe.I didn't read that from what I typed... If you want volume, remove the cats. Before you do - read on...
For deepest rumble, I'd go h-pipe & straight through muffler like a Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax Ultra-flow
I would eventually get an slp loudmouth.(the slp looks exactly like what I already have?)The only argument I've heard is that with an x-pipe and straight-through mufflers, you lose alot of back-pressure which I heard steals your low-end torque. I don't want to lose any low-end torque at the same time. I'd rather gain a bit. True?
Matt Matt - Sorry, initially I thought you had an 03-04. Due to the blower's need for a little backpressure to generate boost, its exhaust needs are a little different than a N/A DOHC.

For example, if you put LTs on a N/A car you're all but guaranteed 20-25 rwhp/tq while the same is not true with Terminators. If the car is not highly boosted they can lose torque.

If you want loud without losing the torque you have now, I'd do LTs with an O/R h-pipe and a straight through cat-back. You'll have gained power across the board & the h-pipe will retain more of the lower rumble you're looking for compared with the x-pipe. For N/A cars, LTs are a must have. :thumbsup:

Cobra4me
08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Kilroy how would a magnaflow catback and catted h pipe (not stock) do for first sound, hp, torque on my 04. Or if possible give your recommendattions on the exhaust setup that would work well on the 04. Sorry not trying to steal the thread.
Robk

kilroy
08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Robk, unless you're highly modified (+boost) leave the stock exhaust manifolds on & run hi-flow cats(aftermarket) for a little backpressure. I prefer straight through mufflers as they make more power & tend to be lower in their exhaust note. Midpipes tend to yield +10-15 & cat-backs a little more. I installed Stingers @Team Ford & they alone gave me +28rwhp/tq when bolted up to the stock H(within 40 minutes of the stock pull on the dyno).

Cobra4me
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Robk, unless you're highly modified (+boost) leave the stock exhaust manifolds on & run hi-flow cats(aftermarket) for a little backpressure. I prefer straight through mufflers as they make more power & tend to be lower in their exhaust note. Midpipes tend to yield +10-15 & cat-backs a little more. I installed Stingers @Team Ford & they alone gave me +28rwhp/tq when bolted up to the stock H(within 40 minutes of the stock pull on the dyno). I dont know if you answered my question or not. I dont plan on changing the manifold. My question was around the midpipe and the catback. Magnaflows with hpipe (non stock) vs X pipe. thanks for your input

kilroy
08-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Midpipes tend to yield +10-15 & cat-backs a little more.You should see an easy +30rwhp with mid-pipe/cat-back. I saw that alone with my stingers. You mention non-stock H. Are you removing 2 cats from the stocker or going MRT. Honestly, I have't looked around & thought MRT was the only game in town for 2.5" h-pipes... Still, you should see a ~10-15 from that swap.
My advice to you is call reputable shops who have performed these swaps & get the info from the horses mouth - like I have. From there you can make a very informed decision on what's best for you.

I only have personal data on my setup from stock - stock w/stingers - then bassani catted X/stingers. I don't want to sound like a parrot & repeat what's already been typed on other forums especially when I can't confirm its truth. This is what my catted Bassani/Stingers sound (http://gt500forums.com/movies/cook.wmv)like. I will say that the only reason I didn't put an H-pipe on my car is that when I was looking the stainless MRT was not out yet.

Edit: Although not a true apples-to-apples comparo, my '98 Cobra which remained N/A, the O/R H-pipe sounded better with flowbastads than did the O/R X. The power difference was negligible between the two.

Cobra4me
08-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I was throwing out possibilities. the mrt midpipe is pricey I think around 550, but it is a nice choice. I also think Mac makes a catted Hpipe. It looks like the prochamber with cats. I have tried the catted xpipe route on my na cobra 01 and it was ok but not great. It had magnaflows on it thus my first question

ososlow99svt
08-17-2005, 08:07 PM
may be too late, but i have a bbk off road x pipe with 40 series flows and personally love the sound, nice rumble at idle ,clean (but loud) when cruising, and seemed to gain h-power and torque

ProfChaos
08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't consider myself to be "the voice of experience" on many matters, but in this case, I make an exception: If the off-road x-pipe eliminates the catalytic converters, you are likely headed for trouble in terms of your Cobra's computer calibrating within operating specs.--MIL eliminators or not.

On my '96 Cobra, I have a Bassani x-pipe that was orginally mounted on a Saleen Mustang, and, in spite of the MIL eliminators being installed properly, I can't for the life of me get the computer to sync: No matter how many times I disconnect the battery (to reset the computer) and take it easy for the first 25 miles-or-so, the car's ECU won't calibrate within specs. After 15-or-20 miles, the "Check Engine" light comes on again, and the car runs like crap. MY MIL ELIMINATORS WILL NOT WORK IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE BASSANI X-PIPE. :mad:

Solution: Do it right the first time, and save the headaches: To avoid problems with the computer calibrating with an x-pipe mounted, I recommend that, for Cobras not being driven on race fuel (which eats catalytic converters), one go for the full system, as it should be: Full-length headers (optional, for rumble and hu-rumph), Flowmaster low-restriction catalytic converters (mounted at 45 degree angles so you can use the OEM O-2 wiring harness without an adaptor kit), Bassani x-pipe, Flowmaster low-restriction mufflers, and Magnaflow straight tips. The car will still sound plenty cool with the low-restriction mufflers and cats, and it will be legit as far as emissions tests go, including in those states that use mirrors to inspect the underside of the car for the presence of catalytic converters.

Just my two cents.

--Professor Chaos

CobraJay
08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Which flows do you recommend? I like the high-pitched mellow tone it makes without a lot of the low drone.

tcrews
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
After 15-or-20 miles, the "Check Engine" light comes on again, and the car runs like crap. Unfortunately everything in your post was based on incorrect information. While your check engine light could continue to go on/off even with Mil-eliminators....at no point will your cars performance change because of that....period. The rear O2 sensors only measure if your catalytic converters are working, if they are no check engine light.....if they aren't (because of an offroad pipe) then the light turns on. No performance changes, no affecting the computer or engine in any way what-so-ever....period. The ECU can also not "learn" the aspects of an offroad pipe and adjust, either the rear O2 sensors measure appropriate levels and signal "functioning properly" or they measure inappropriate levels and signal "catalytic inefficiency" and trigger the check engine light ONLY. You could also have issues with the rear O2 sensors so that the voltage variation the MIL-eliminators are trying to work is still outside of "acceptable" levels and the check engine light goes off. Replacing the rear O2 sensors could help.

Front O2 sensors - affect the ECU/Engine performance.

Rear O2 sensors - do nothing except monitor the effectiveness of your catalytic converters. Cats = no light, bad Cats (or Offroad)= light.

Mil-eliminators are designed to pass a signal voltage to the ECU that says "catalytic efficiency A-Okay" and not trip the check engine light. That's it.

tcrews
08-23-2005, 10:45 PM
You should see an easy +30rwhp with mid-pipe/cat-back. True on a supercharged engine, not true on a naturally aspirated engine. Expect on a '99 Cobra to see 10-15+ hp increase....maybe.

(edit) - was in reference to the original poster......who has a NA '99 Cobra

kilroy
08-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Agreed. I caught myself in post #11 & PM'ed Matt. :thumbsup:

WOPONY98
08-29-2005, 09:48 PM
I to have had my experience with exhaust but I would tell you if you want straight up WOW sound. Put whatever you want for your mid pipe (X or H) Free flow or High flow Cat. Just whatever you do put the SLP LOUDMOUTH Catback on the end. I have a Magnaflow High Flow X-Pipe and SLP Loudmouth Catback on my Cobra and I can tell you it is louder than a free flowing exhaust. It is the standard exhaust set up in my city.

svtmc-g
08-30-2005, 08:56 AM
That's what I'm currently getting my money together for. No matter what I do there will be a Loudmouth coming out of the back of my snake!! Long tubes with a Loudmouth should be quite evil sounding. Just the way I want it. :D
Matt

ProfChaos
09-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Which flows do you recommend? I like the high-pitched mellow tone it makes without a lot of the low drone.

From what I gather from cruising the Forum, the "right" exhaust components can sometimes be largely a matter of taste. Even so, I have the Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow 2.25"/2.25" mufflers, and they absolutely rock with the Bassani X-pipe. :jason:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3383

Further, Flowmaster's Webpage commentary on the 40 Series muffler is as follows: "The 40 Series Delta Flow is a milder-sounding street and strip muffler that generates a powerful, aggressive sound outside the vehicle, [and] a lower interior resonance, while improving your torque and horsepower." ("Milder" must mean less abrasive, as the 40 Series are, by no means, quiet.) :D

The proprietor of Grand Muffler in Smyrna, GA--a Mustang/Cobra enthusiast who owns a Chip Foose "Elanor" replica--recommends the 40 Series Flowmasters, claiming that they "will make that Cobra sound like it should sound"--as opposed to the somewhat brassey-sounding Borla mufflers that were on the Cobra when I got it. I agree: Lorena the Cobra does sound much better now than she did with the Borla mufflers. (I can hardly wait to get the BBK full-length headers installed--for that little extra grunt and ha-rumph.)

Lastly, let me add that Flowmaster also recommends the 40 Series for "late-model performance cars", which would include us. :fordflag:

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

svtmc-g
09-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I like Flows as well, I am passing on them because i feel the quality leaves much to be desired. Every set of Flows I've heard sound good up to the higher rpm's. then they rattle. If it's dual chamber, it rattles eventually. I met a fella who had a Mach 1 with brand new dual chamber flows and just like all the others......rev it and the higher rpm's make the thing rattle.....sounds terrible. Met a guy a while back(a black 99 cobra 2 years ago)he had JUST put his on a couldn't get rid of that metallic rattle. "black97 snake" has the flows. His rattled something fierce...sounded like a demon was in there!haha(fixed now....no offense bro:-))Other than that they sound great!! Love the rumble...hate the rattle.
Matty Mc-G