PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

dewone
08-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Just paid 2.69 for 87 octane for my truck here in Ohio. Was pump-in away and finally said $60.00 is enough Grumbs I still had half a front tank before I started.

nckissfan
08-17-2005, 12:22 PM
is there a Sam's Club around you? They have lower gas prices. I filled up yesterday, 93 octane, it was $2.58. If I didn't have a Sam's membership, it would have been $2.63. I think 87 octane was running $2.45

crutch95
08-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Gas is getting so high that the cobra is not going out much with it only getting 8 gpm thats not to good for me. so needless to say I will not be driving it much.

wvmystichrome
08-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Same around here in WV. I am on border with Kentucky which has 15 cents less per gallon gas but the same price as WV stations. ???. Went from $2.45 per gallon to $2.59.9 a gollon yesterday. Seen article in our yesterday's newspaper that the editor watched one local station change their display 3 times in a period of a few hours. Started at $2.35 then $2.62 then $2.65 and then back down to $2.59 where it stayed. I think we are being ripped off. I was in TN week before last and filled up the Lincoln and gas was $2.15 per gallon regular and about $2.30 for premium.

cobrabitn
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
I paid $2.54 a gallon for 93 octane this week. SC State gas taxes are the cheapest in the country. :)

ausie
08-18-2005, 05:00 AM
The gas prices do not bother me that much when it comes to the Cobra. My other vehicle gets an average of 13mpg and it only has 160hp and that is driving conservatively. I average about 16 to 18 mpg with the Cobra and a lead foot so I cannot complain. I would rather drive the cobra anyway.

beerkat
08-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Gas in Myrtle Beach is one of the Highest in the state. 93 is $2.73 or higher.

Like ausie my Cobra is the most fuel efficent of the cars/trucks/boat that I own. The Lightning and BMW X5 both use 93. Since I own a boat I can make myself feel good about the cars. I have to buy gas at the dock and it is over $ 3.00 a gallon lot of places and that is for 87 or 89. At crusing speed I burn about 25 gallons of gas an hour. My boat is a dock ornament most of the time now.:(

wvmystichrome
08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Gas in Myrtle Beach is one of the Highest in the state. 93 is $2.73 or higher.

Like ausie my Cobra is the most fuel efficent of the cars/trucks/boat that I own. The Lightning and BMW X5 both use 93. Since I own a boat I can make myself feel good about the cars. I have to buy gas at the dock and it is over $ 3.00 a gallon lot of places and that is for 87 or 89. At crusing speed I burn about 25 gallons of gas an hour. My boat is a dock ornament most of the time now.:(
I can understand why. Man, I am glad I don't have a boat. If I lived near a waterway I probably would, no definitely would, want one.

wrenchturner
08-19-2005, 01:12 AM
I can join this club. cobra does ohh so much better than a lifted 85 3/4 ton suburban.. LOL even with the cobra using super and the burb using regular.. its still no contest in prices.... super here in lovely central mass ranges from 2.75 a gallon to 2.96 depending on where ya look....

ausie
08-19-2005, 09:46 AM
It is about the same price where I live : $2.73 a gallon. The closer to work I go, the gas price also increases. Gas prices were already up that much before the price increase (closer to Philadelphia the higher the gas price ). My guess the price will drop after the Labor day Holiday, then rise back up before heating season begins. I was contemplating getting a desel truck to replace my 4-13mpg Ford Exploder. (yes I said 4mpg which is what it gets when you use the throttle or go up a hill , due to lack of power and too much weight).

beerkat
08-19-2005, 10:48 AM
My wife and I have been thinking of getting an older civic or something that burns 87 and gets around 20 around town. Since most of our driving is stop and go and within 30 miles of home it would make a big difference in the out flow of cash for gas.

dewone
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I've been riden the bike as much as I can. 44 mpg The same station I got the 2.69 is at 2.47 today what a swing, I think they charge what they want when they want. Sounds like across the country you could pay about anything. May just convert the ol truck to french fry oil.

BadPny
08-22-2005, 10:52 PM
We just ran the Cobra out to the Bad Lands and Black Hills of S.D. from Chicago, Il. We paid any where from $2.71 to $2.89 on the trip. Running at 85 mph we got anywhere from 23 to 25 mpg. I guess stock gears are good for something!
We found some roads which would give the Dragon a run for the money. Rt 16A had 20 miles of curves, tunnels, and 2 cork screws using wood bridges. Needles highway and Spearfish were fun.
I still feel gas is cheap when adjusted for inflation over the years. Unfortunitly, I can still remember .30 gas. Gas around Chicago is going for $2.99.99/100.

ososlow99svt
08-25-2005, 07:25 PM
around here it's about $2.80 for 93 octane. the sams club down the street from me always looked tempting until i heard that the gas had water in it. one of the guys at the parts store said that people have been coming in with problems with their fuel systems and every one of them had got their gas at sams. may have been a bad rumor or something but i didnt want to chance it.

Stavesacre21
08-31-2005, 09:57 PM
HA! I just topped you ALL! At the Shell gas station here in Lima, Premium 93 is a shallow $3.49 /gallon.

I've never let gas prices really get to me, but i must say, it's getting mighty close to winter-storage time here....only a few months early :(

thanx katrina

InfamousSVT
08-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Regular 87 octane is at 3.49 a gallon here and the premium is 3.99 a gallon right now!
According to the news once the stations run out of gas they won't be getting any until Saturday!.........that's 3 days without any gas. Good thing I have a POS daily driver that's full. I guess I'll be setting at the house this weekend. My parents are driving up to New York this weekend. Can't wait to see that gas bill :eek:

johnbasf
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Is anybody else tired of the oil companies raping us. They use any excuse in the books to raise the prices. :mad: The average profit from the last quarter was over 30% for the oil companies. I'm going to start a campaign to vote out ALL the representitives who don't have the nads to help us out. :mad: :mad: :mad: My daughter is at college and can't even get gas tonight. :mad: :mad:

Stavesacre21
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
I am standing beside myself! This is jsut unheard of it. According to a friends i have in the oil industry, we can all expect a merry christmas this year of right around $5 for unleaded.

I'm exstatic! :eek:

InfamousSVT
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
We need to do something about it. Start a protest of something..............soon I'm going to have to get a parttime job to pay for the gas to get to the first job :(

Stavesacre21
08-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Well if their already OUT of gas in parts of NC and SC.....sounds like a protest is manditory now. I can't believe this!

Bet those oil executives are gonna be swimming in lakes of money this month :mad: :mad: :mad:

johnbasf
08-31-2005, 10:59 PM
We can all protest with the power of "the vote". Get them out and get somebody in that will stand up for us. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The oil companies can kiss my a**. :mad:

They made a killing here today when they raised the price 50 cents a gallon. That gas was already in the ground when THEY started the PANIC. Chevron stop shipping gas yesterday. :blast:

cobrabitn
08-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Why don't you ask Mighty Mouse in the White House what he's going to do about it? :rolleyes:

johnbasf
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Why don't you ask Mighty Mouse in the White House what he's going to do about it? :rolleyes:

Ask an "OIL MAN" to help against OIL companies?? :rotf:

Stavesacre21
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Wait a second guys....i've got the perfect answer! why didn't i think of this earlier.

I'm just gonna make my own fuel! I'm not goin down without a fight! ;)

:blast:

dewone
09-01-2005, 09:51 AM
I said earlier that you can convert your cars, trucks to french fry oil you just stop at McDonalds and they pay you to dispose of the used fry grease. Read an article the other day about some company that can send the conversion kits to you. Not suggesting this for the Cobras but your lesser cars you know that ricer or beater car.

kilroy
09-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Well if their already OUT of gas in parts of NC and SC.....~ With many gas stations in G'ville area drying up, I searched a little and came across a few sites which may help in locating the better pricing out there..

In South Cakalaki, try SC Gas Prices (http://www.southcarolinagasprices.com/index.aspx)
If traveling, Gas Buddy (http://www.gasbuddy.com/) will locate similar sites for other states.

Hope this helps... & may the gougers go down in flames!:mad:

smashedheadcat
09-01-2005, 11:37 AM
I filled up yesterday morning for $2.98 per gal (93 octane), yesterday night, gas prices rose to $2.99 for 87 octane! :eek:

RF Cobra
09-01-2005, 01:45 PM
The sad thing is that it is really starting to look like we will spend more money on gas than on the cabin we will be staying at this weekend in TN for the Ted Russell show and dragon run. :eek:

Firme
09-01-2005, 01:53 PM

:nono:
Hey now, lets not turn this thing political, especially on a non-political board. All it does is polarize people on a topic that does not belong here.

I seem to recall gas prices doubling somewhere between 1992-2000 as well.

I know there are plenty of people on here that work directly in the oil business, in the oil industry capital, that could give insight on how little any politician can do for short term prices. As a matter of fact, its a real eye opener to find stuff out from people first hand instead of the stuff that misled me on TV/News.

No matter how big the oil supply of crude oil is, it has to be processed to turn into gasoline for cars. The limiting factor on supply is refineries. The number of refineries goes down by each passing day, and new ones cannot/are not being built because of how restrictive environmental and other laws on them are. The ones operating are grandfathered from those laws. The supply goes down, demand stays the same or goes up, prices go up. The oil companies don't care, because the restriction actually help their profitts, because where they took money and rolled into new refineries, now that money is not being spent, and going into the profitt margin. I know its easy to blame a politician when it fits people’s agenda, but what’s laughable is the tirade that would be drawn from changing environmental laws. Alternatives are not something that would fix the problem over-night.

There are many instances when a friend in the business has gotten back from working on natural disaster damage to oil supply lines. The line damage has caused the supply line to be shut down, supply cut back, shooting oil prices up. But when that person turns on the TV, there is just regular BS, but absolutely no mention of the damaged line that actually caused the price hike.

I wonder what this hurricane did to the supply lines running across the states affected. That is a great example of what would shoot gas up 15+ cents overnight. But you won’t hear about it on the TV as the headlines and catchphrase. There is a tiny blurd at the very bottom of page on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.impact/index.html

Yes, the prices are outrageous. No, there is NO short term miracle answer.

Just sharing, by no means wanting to debate anything.

AirForce1
09-01-2005, 02:48 PM
:nono:
Hey now, lets not turn this thing political, especially on a non-political board. All it does is polarize people on a topic that does not belong here.

I seem to recall gas prices doubling somewhere between 1992-2000 as well.

I know there are plenty of people on here that work directly in the oil business, in the oil industry capital, that could give insight on how little any politician can do for short term prices. As a matter of fact, its a real eye opener to find stuff out from people first hand instead of the stuff that misled me on TV/News.

No matter how big the oil supply of crude oil is, it has to be processed to turn into gasoline for cars. The limiting factor on supply is refineries. The number of refineries goes down by each passing day, and new ones cannot/are not being built because of how restrictive environmental and other laws on them are. The ones operating are grandfathered from those laws. The supply goes down, demand stays the same or goes up, prices go up. The oil companies don't care, because the restriction actually help their profitts, because where they took money and rolled into new refineries, now that money is not being spent, and going into the profitt margin. I know its easy to blame a politician when it fits people’s agenda, but what’s laughable is the tirade that would be drawn from changing environmental laws. Alternatives are not something that would fix the problem over-night.

There are many instances when a friend in the business has gotten back from working on natural disaster damage to oil supply lines. The line damage has caused the supply line to be shut down, supply cut back, shooting oil prices up. But when that person turns on the TV, there is just regular BS, but absolutely no mention of the damaged line that actually caused the price hike.

I wonder what this hurricane did to the supply lines running across the states affected. That is a great example of what would shoot gas up 15+ cents overnight. But you won’t hear about it on the TV as the headlines and catchphrase. There is a tiny blurd at the very bottom of page on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.impact/index.html

Yes, the prices are outrageous. No, there is NO short term miracle answer.

Just sharing, by no means wanting to debate anything.

:stupid:
In the air Force if someone does somthing rong the officer gets the blame even if he had nothing to do with the situation. you see everyone wants to blame the person with power. GW is doing every thing that he can about the only thing he can do was take oil from the reserve.

dewone
09-01-2005, 03:03 PM
I was just lookin to see what others paid in the country. Folks do have options.

johnbasf
09-01-2005, 05:59 PM
A Cabinet That Looks Like (Corporate) America

by Bill Mesler, Special to CorpWatch

Bill Clinton once famously vowed to create a “cabinet that looks like America.” George Bush has created a cabinet that looks like Corporate America. In the past, the term revolving door referred to government officials leaving office to work for the very corporations they had regulated. Increasingly, the highest of government officials arrive directly from the executive offices of powerful corporations. Lobbyists are appointed to the jobs whose occupants they once vied to influence. Those who regulate and those supposed to be regulated have become almost indistinguishable.

Here are a few egregious examples: Related Story:
Financing The Election
Soft Money Out, Bundling In
Corporate Backers Spend More, Get More

Andrew Card, Chief of Staff
A former chief lobbyist for General Motors and CEO of the American Automobile Manufacturers Association, Card led the industry’s $25 million campaign against tighter fuel emission standards, as well as its fight against the Kyoto Protocol. When Card got his new job with the administration, General Motors threw him a lavish ascension party on the roof of the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. Two months after taking office, the Bush administration withdrew from Kyoto. Nearly four years later, fuel emission standards remain unchanged.

Gale Norton, Secretary of the Interior
The nation’s foremost custodian of parks, beaches and public lands is a former oil lobbyist. Her clients included Delta Petroleum, an oil-interest, and NL Industries, which was being sued over childhood lead-paint exposure. She also headed the Coalition of Republican Environmental Advocates, funded by Ford Motor Company and BP Amaco. The group advocated abolishing the Endangered Species Act. Under Norton, the EPA stripped the Bureau of Land Management of power to block mining operations that are environmentally unsound or damage on Native American cultural sites.

Elaine Chao, Secretary of Labor
A former director of five different companies, including Dole Food and Clorox, and an executive at Bank of America, Chao used to work for the Heritage Foundation where she helped the think tank denounce affirmative action. She was a Bush “Pioneer” in 2000, bundling over $100,000 Under Chao, the Labor Department reversed OSHA rules protecting workers from repetitive stress and tried to get Congress to eliminate overtime protection for millions of workers,

Condoleza Rice, National Security Adviser
Rice sat on the boards of broker Charles Schwab, insurance giant Transamerica Corp., and Chevron, where her name now graces a 130,000-ton oil tanker.

Donald Evans, Secretary of Commerce
One of a plethora of cabinet officials with ties to the oil industry, Evans was chair and CEO of energy giant Tom Brown Inc. and a Bush Pioneer in 2000.

Steven Griles, Deputy Secretary of The Interior
Griles is a former coal industry executive and lobbyist for the American Petroleum Institute, the National Mining Association and the Sunoco oil company, among others. Griles was involved in a well-publicized scandal when he tried to insert himself in an EPA dispute over natural gas extraction from coal beds in the Powder River Basin in Wyoming.

Ann M. Veneman, Secretary of Agriculture
Veneman was a director at Calgene, creators of the Flavr Savr tomato, the first genetically modified food sold in supermarkets. Calgene became part of Monsanto, which later became part of Pharmica. With Veneman on board, the Bush administration has pushed to open up foreign markets to genetically modified foods.

James Connaughton, Chairman of the Council on Environmental Quality
Bush’s top environmental advisor is not only a former lobbyist for ARCO (Atlantic Richfield Company), Alcoa and General Electric, he also worked for the powerful Chemical Manufacturers Association, the powerful trade association representing some of America’s top polluters. With Connaughton in the administration, the chemical industry has pulled off one of the most remarkable feats of corporate influence in recent history: despite an EPA warning that a terrorist strike on any of 123 of the nation’s most dangerous chemical plants could kill or injure more than a million people, a bill tightening security among the plants has never even come to a vote on the Senate floor.

Mark Rey, Undesecretary for Natural Resources and Agriculture at the Dept. of Agriculture
Rey lobbied for timber industry groups like the American Forest and Paper Association and the National Forest Products Association. The industry was pleased when the Bush Administration pushed the so-called “Healthy Forests Initiative,” increasing logging in 11 national forests in the Sierra Nevada, and by new rules limiting public comment and litigation opportunities on logging issues.

Jeffrey Holmstead, Director of the EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation
A former attorney at Latham & Watkins, Holmstead represented the Chemical Manufacturers Association in air toxics litigation. He has since helped write new regulations scaling back the Clean Air Act.

Firme
09-01-2005, 07:18 PM
once agian, lets keep this non-political. No one is about to enlighten or sway anyone politically on here.

nckissfan
09-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I agree with Firme:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
09-01-2005, 07:49 PM
I wonder what this hurricane did to the supply lines running across the states affected. That is a great example of what would shoot gas up 15+ cents overnight.
I know a friend who works for the BP line that transports oil, which includs all types.....train, truck and pipe. According to him, 2 days ago, he said that from Loiusiana up to about Tennessee, and s far over as the Carolinas, a whopping 91% of the pipes weren't even functional. There's a bunch of technical jargen as to why their not, but he said that we would be epecting a huge surge for awhile. Now i'm not sure exactly how long this is the case (heck, more could even be functional by now), but that's just from our Premcor/BP plant here in Lima, OH.

Not to add more madness to the masses, but it's straight from the inside....something you won't read in the papers or hear through the media (because it's supposedly "confidential information"....as you can see, i'm keeping quiet :D )

cobrabitn
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
First off this is the lounge and as long as you go by the rules that are set up for this bulletin board and do not flame someone then your opinion can be read.

Read the rules below for when you register in case you have forgotten:

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of SCMC Message Forum will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of SCMC Message Forum, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

None of the posts were obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. Calling someone "Mighty Mouse" is hardly a political statement. I did not post my opinion in detail about our fearless leaders. Making a short statement for some one to get an answer to a question is hardly political.

If you want to get into politics then we can take it off board but from the short of what I have read, let's just agree to disagree on our opinions on how the country should be run.

jack
09-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Today on the way home regular was 3.29 and the others were 3.47 and 3.59. This was in Knoxville.

Firme
09-02-2005, 01:00 AM
First off this is the lounge and as long as you go by the rules that are set up for this bulletin board and do not flame someone then your opinion can be read.

Right, thanks for re-assuring me that I was able to state my opinion and that its a good idea to take political discussion to off the board. :thumbsup:

Calling someone "Mighty Mouse" is hardly a political statement.

don't forget the smilie -> :rolleyes: <- that went with it.

cobrabitn
09-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Well I would have used another smilie but you never got us any new ones. :rotf:

As long as it is harmless and not getting too out of hand, then no need to take it to heart. :thumbsup:

Politics can be dangerous but friends can respect each other's opinions without starting a feud when discussing it intelligently. As for me, I just like to call him Mighty Mouse! After all, he did come "to save the day" right? :D

Big Daddy
09-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Well today in Asheville I paid 3.48 a gallon for 93 Octane. The supply of gas is dwindling here in the mountains and many stations are already out of gas. They aren't sure when they will get more. I've heard that the pipe lines that supply parts of the east coast are down do to the Hurricane. So even if the refineries have oil to process the problem is getting the gas from the refineries to the depots that serve the gas stations. I guess for the short term $4.00 a gallon is going to possible, I would say that in six months the prices will come down to the $2.50 a gallon range but IF we ever see sub $2.00 gas again it won't be for a long time.

Firme
09-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Well I would have used another smilie but you never got us any new ones. :rotf:

hey now, :doubt: I tried http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10270, but I will look for a Mighty Mouse smilie for ya ;)

As long as it is harmless and not getting too out of hand, then no need to take it to heart. :thumbsup:

Politics can be dangerous but friends can respect each other's opinions without starting a feud when discussing it intelligently. As for me, I just like to call him Mighty Mouse! After all, he did come "to save the day" right? :D

I didn't take it to heart, that is why I didn't directly respond to any of it and talked about the oil industry itself. ;) I agree with you on the friends bit, and especially the dangerous bit, but I wasn't speaking in terms of myself here, like I said, there are many others on this board, that this hits close to home for, and I was saying that to keep it from going there, before something unintentional did come out of it, and someone took it the wrong way.
:p

ausie
09-02-2005, 07:38 AM
If you had a diesel truck or SUV the option to beat the price hike would be to run Kerosine. You cannot legally fill up at a kerosine pump but you can fill up from a private tank or from canisters. Kerosine is grade 1 as compared to diesel fuel which is grade 2. One benefit is you do not pay taxes on kerosine which is one reason it is dyed purple so the authorities can check the fuel tanks on trucks (big rigs). If you get caught you get fined, but it is less likely to find that in a residential vehcile than a commercial rig.

Over the long run, sure the increase in fuel prices does hurt the bank account some. I can manage but it will not slow me down.

Stavesacre21
09-02-2005, 09:39 AM
I can manage but it will not slow me down.
I've sharded the enthusiasm, but I'm finally starting to feel this a lil more. It'll never completely stop me from runnin her, but it's certainly got me putt-ing around in the Probe a whole lot more :eek: :mad:

The news showed an Atlanta gas store that was up to $6.09 a gallon for 87. Now that officially wins the award of the most outragous price of all time!

svtmc-g
09-02-2005, 10:05 AM
They said Atlanta was having BIG gouging probs, since most stations are out of fuel.

I'll tell you this about the whole gas thing, even before the strom. Shell(and their subsid.??) posted earnings this year, already, and they made more earnings this year than ANY company EVER!!!! It was on talk radio a while back. That is utterly rediculous. It proves why gas was so high in the first place. We're paying a fortune(before the storm) and it proves there's no darn reason for it when they, again I say, made MORE money than ANY COMPANY EVER!!! That's the biggest bunch of ANY BS EVER!haha That thoroughly ticks me off. They give these full-of-hole reasons why gas has to be so high, and it's ALL horse crap. It's all lies. It's all about the corporate punks making MORE money, that's it. scary. And there's NOTHING we can do about it, unless the whole country stops driving for a week. people say "write your senator". just make sure you donate $100,000 to their campaign so they'll listen!

Well, I'm still driving my snake everywhere. I filled up both cars and my two gas cans monday afternoon at $2.47/gallon. I just have to keep my heavy foot out of the loud pedal! It's such a hard thing to do isn't it.
Matt
Sorry for the random gas hostility, it's just comedic to me.

RF Cobra
09-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Be careful about what you hear on talk radio. If they were talking about earnings as in gross sales then yes, of course they were the highest ever. Higher costs mean higher sales prices, as you know. If they were net earnings (sales minus costs) then there might be concern. People continue to by vheicles that only get single digit gas mileage or barely into double digits. Which results in more sales and thus increased profits. The only real way to "get even" is for everyone to go out and buy a hybrid that gets 60+ mpg. However, I will not be one of them and I am not saying you should do it either. :)

I would imagine the talk shows are using gross earnings numbers since the goal of those talk shows is to enrage people to get them to call in.

I'm not defending the gas company by any means. However, I do know Shell stations here have been selling gas for only 5 cents per gallon or less over cost. We have one right up the road from us that has typically priced their gas only a cent or two above their costs since the prices started going up like crazy. They rely on the convenience store sales for their source of profit. Yesterday I bought premium gas at that very station and paid 15 cents per gallon less for premium than all the other gas stations in our area are charging for regular gas! Now I know I am going to have to pay through the nose this weekend in the mountains. The media is largely responsible for fanning the flames and creating panic with the general public. People went crazy here when the media said "NC is not getting anymore gas before next week" and ran several gas stations dry thus further increasing the price of gas (supply and demand). The reality is, there is no real shortage in NC and gas shipments have already resumed in NC as of this morning. It's a crazy world we live in, that's for certain.

RF Cobra
09-02-2005, 10:41 AM
All I want to say is I applaud your efforts. You have done a lot better at trying to keep the peace than our moderators have as of late. There has been more and more uncalled for unecessary personal attacks, slander, outright lies and use of profanity etc. on the board as of late (sometimes I have to stop and look as I think I have strayed onto SVTP by mistake). All of which are directly in violation to the SCMC board policy.

Keep up the good work! :D I'd hate to see this board have to go to requiring everyone who posts be a member of the SCMC as I think we would lose a lot of valuable information and I doubt anyone here has the time to read and preapprove every submission before it is posted to the board. Clear policies posted on the board as a reminder and moderators that will put an immediate stop to violations when they first start is what is needed. Your methods have been most diplomatic and polite from what I have seen. :thumbsup:

hey now, :doubt: I tried http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10270, but I will look for a Mighty Mouse smilie for ya ;)

I didn't take it to heart, that is why I didn't directly respond to any of it and talked about the oil industry itself. ;) I agree with you on the friends bit, and especially the dangerous bit, but I wasn't speaking in terms of myself here, like I said, there are many others on this board, that this hits close to home for, and I was saying that to keep it from going there, before something unintentional did come out of it, and someone took it the wrong way.
:p

beerkat
09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Patch and I have been think about getting a hybird car for a while. Now we gone a head and have a salesman trying to find us one. We are going to keep all of the other cars we have so i guess our driveway will look like a car lot from now on.

I paid $3.29 for 93 yesterday at Walmart. Having a car that burn 87 is going to help and if it gets the 49 miles a gallon that it claim it will really be nice.

RF Cobra
09-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Hybrids can be very beneficial and I agree with their benefits. I just didn't want anyone to think that I was telling them they had to go out and buy one. :)

Well, we are off to TN for the show and weekend activities.

We are taking a handful of credit cards to insure that we are able to buy enough gas for the trip! ;)

beerkat
09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I think that those people you can afford to a buy a hybird should. Just because you can afford to operate an H2 or some other gas guzzler does mean you should not do sonething to help curb consumption of fuel If demand for gas deceases the price comes down. We as American need to start rethinking some of our driving habbits. I love to burn gas as much as the next person but I am willing to try and do my part at burning less.

One of thing that bugs me is when I go to fill up my Lightning or X5 and I can only buy $50 worth of fuel before the pump shut off.:mad:

johnbasf
09-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Edmond, my post are JMO. I won't get into a debate about politics on this board. :thumbsup:

Why do they jack the price way up? Americans are going to buy gas regardless and the Oil Companies know that. Jacking the price up to slow down consumption doesn't work. I will say this, the Prius is looking good to me. :D I can see me passing Tony at the next track event. :rotf:

Stavesacre21
09-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I do know Shell stations here have been selling gas for only 5 cents per gallon or less over cost. We have one right up the road from us that has typically priced their gas only a cent or two above their costs since the prices started going up like crazy. They rely on the convenience store sales for their source of profit. Yesterday I bought premium gas at that very station and paid 15 cents per gallon less for premium than all the other gas stations in our area are charging for regular gas!
WOW :eek:

I'd love to see that kinda turn for Shell gas around here! Our sounds like it's similar (in the fasion that a carryout is attached to it), but the gas, well, lets just say that unleaded at Shell is usually right about the same price at premium at Speedway down the road. And that kinda sux, especially since our speedway usually goes up almost 15 cent PER grade, Obviously when you get into the $3 marks and so it, it's not as big of a deal. Reguardless, i always thought it was normal to pay more for Shell gas upfront, because their premium 93 "V-power" is supposedly the cleanest and best burning gas money can buy. I think that Shell even claims that there are add-in synthetic cleaners in their V-power stuff. Anyone ever heard the same? Sometimes i really wonder if their gas is as clean as they say, or if maybe it's bogus and their just claiming so they can charge more. Who do you all hear has the best gas?

Firme
09-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Why do they jack the price way up? Americans are going to buy gas regardless and the Oil Companies know that. Jacking the price up to slow down consumption doesn't work. I will say this, the Prius is looking good to me. :D I can see me passing Tony at the next track event. :rotf:

John, if you want something economical, go with a diesel VW, they get better mileage than the hybrid ( I believe they get 45mpg with the new direct injection diesels that sound as quiet as a gas engine) and you pay less premium for the diesel ($500 more than gas engine I believe). I was shocked to even see the news "panel of experts" say that hybrids are good for making a statement, but aren't there yet in return of investment on gas savings. Meaning the higher price you pay for them is going to take up to 7 years to make back in gas saving over buying a regular gas model of the same car.

beerkat
09-03-2005, 10:16 AM
While I was car shopping the other day I looked at the VW diesel and they are rated at 33 city I do not remember what the Hiway was. the Civic that I am hoping to get is rated at 48 city and 47 Hiway It is also less expensive that the VWs are by a couple of thousand dollars.

svtmc-g
09-03-2005, 10:44 AM
I've had 2 Civics. Good little cars. I have owned 5 Hondas, and they're fuel consumption ratings are pretty close to what the sticker says, except for the Element. Those things are gas hogs, due to aerodynamics I would bet. I went on my usual trip to Houston and I only got 21 mpg on the highway!!! In a 4 cyl.! My Cobra gets the same gas mileage as the Element!! thats crazy huh? I'm gonna get an old Civic hatchback for winter myself. "They" are already projecting gas to be $5 a gallon by next summer. I almost don't believe it, but last summer "they" warned $2.50 a gallon for this summer, no WAY i thought....they were right. LOTS of V8 sports cars for sale around here!

I also may go with a little VW diesel because you can make your own bio-diesel fuel for roughly .70 a gallon(saw it on "Trucks")!!

HEY STAVESACRE 21.....I used Shell gas for a while to see if it burns cleaner...It must...it improved my MPG by a considerable margin! Well, in a 4cyl. I gained roughly 6-7 mpg and noticed a little extra kick in the power. I just always forget to go there(not a too convenient location)
Matty Mc-G

ausie
09-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Hybrids are a neat idea, but not economical in operating costs. Most of which were geared towards city driving since they charge the batteries by using the electric motor as a brake. That is where the technology gains its advantage with stop and go traffic flow. They seem to fall short when it comes to urban or country driving where there may be little traffic or long periods of driving like on the highways. They have made some progress in Hydrogen vehicles but fueling one of them is something I would fear due to its explosive properties when the gas is released rapidly. Also, it would be too expensive to produce hydrogen from H2O in the quantities required so once again dependance on petrolium products for hydrogen production is still there. Alcholol would be a good fuel but the issue of evaporation sort of reduces the effective use. The issue with diesels in the US is the lack of refineries. Most of our oil is rich in sulfer and since the US has not built a modern oil refinery in a very long time, the diesel motor vehicle has not been a big seller hear. Most of the European diesel engines will not operate well in the US due to the sulfer content in the fuel oil. It will take a few years for the technology of the hybrids to mature into a economic and low cost alternative for transportation. I am trying to do my part in reducing fuel consumption. One is not using my SUV unless it is mandatory to do so (snow, ice, or severe weather conditions that would make it worthy to use such a vehicle). I have also changed some of my driving habits with the Cobra and attempt to be more conservative with the throttle. For some reason it is good that I have not modified it yet even though I want too. I would expect the gas guzzler tax to be put back onto the cost of the new shelby cobra GT500 as it was in effect on the 03 when it first came out. That was something I did not have pay out on with the 04.

beerkat
09-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I agree with you aussie in the the hybrid car are for city driving. That is most of what we do here at the Beach. For the long haul stuff we have the X5, it is also my tow vehicle now. I have been trying to use the shift point on the Cobra and keep the rpms at or under 2000. I can get almost 18 around town and 20 something on the highway. My wife has also slow down to help save fuel. The whole nation is going to need to chage it driving habbits to do any long term good.

casey99COBRA
09-03-2005, 10:15 PM
$3.07 for 91 octane in SLC UT. I got a whopping 6 gallons for $20.00 :eek:

Bartman01
09-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Do some research on Hybrids before running out and buying one to "save money" or "protect the environment". Especially do some research on the energy and scarce resources required to produce the batteries. Then do some research on the environmental impact of disposing of said batteries. Finally do some research on the expected lifespan and costs of the batteries.

Right now, auto manufacturers are selling them at a loss (probably to meet CAFE standards so they can sell more profit making gas-guzzling vehicles). Even at that, some studys I have seen suggest that gasoline would have to exceed $10 or more a gallon before current hybrids cost less to own and operate than a conventional vehicle.

Haven't sorted out fact from fiction on this myself, so I don't claim to know what I am talking about. Just saying that based on the info that I have heard, hybrids are a lot like leases. They sound good, and may be right for some people - but you want to go into one with both eyes open.

dewone
09-07-2005, 09:16 AM
All time most expensive fill up for me. I even have a boat that at the marinas gas prices are always expensive. This time I just filled the truck at what seems to be a reasonible price looking at what some of us have posted.
87 octane Paid 2.99.99 ok 3 bucks a gal. Fill up came to $89.00 WOW

Insofaras jumping to the Hybirds. I also think about the different asssembllys that make them run. More parts to go wrong, repair, replace, and or figure out whats wrong. I'm not one to shy away from a repair challenge, but thats a whole new learning curve. That also puts the dealerships back into the black box mentality. In other words if you can't speak their speak they will gouge you on repairs every chance they get. They have proven it in the past with the introduction of the computers to run and monitor our vechicles. Once people began learning more in the general public. Guess what the price to repair dropped. I'm not saying not to get one or that the new technology should be feared. Just it's not for me with the high sticker price, and slow return in gas savings, and like Bartman01 stated I haven't done any reasearch to understand them electromechanically....

beerkat
09-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Well we bought a Honda Civic Hybrid. It cost about $3000 more than a regular Civic equiped the same. Car came with the standard 3 year 36,000 mile warranty that most other cars come with. The battery has a longer warranty on it something like 10 year 80,000 miles on it. I might be off on the battery. I have not gotten to drive it a lot yet, only 200 miles, but it rides nice and is very quite. I have not burn hlaf a tank of gas yet and it has a 10 gallon tank and runs 87 oct.:thumbsup: I am going to drive it from the beach to Gattlinburg, TN the middle of the month so I will let you know how it does. If I have time I will run the Tail of the Dragon with it while I am there.:rotf: It does have one thing that takes a little getting use to and that is when I come to a stop the engine shut off until I release the brake and it starts up again, kind of like a golf cart. We got it for around town and I think that for that it will be a great addition to the fleet of cars we already have. My driveway looks like a car lot:D

ausie
09-08-2005, 07:25 AM
engine shuts off when come to complete stop. I guess that puts an end to warming it up in the winter time. As for the hybrid part of it, most use a DC electric motor. Electric motors have been around just as long as the automobile if not longer. Reliable (probably more reliable than the motor in the Cobra) but to make the same power as the Cobra and not wiegh as much as a dump truck not likely. One reason why the hybrid electrics are a great idea is that they managed to use the electric motor as a generator to charge the batteries. Also the gasoline engine has an alternator or possibly two alternators to also supply a charge to the battery source. From what I recall the Toyota Pyris (?) was the most inovative and economical hybrid on the market. There is more to it than just adding an electric motor to the mix, variable geometry transmissions (gear-less) are also what makes it work. They may not launch like a rocket off the line but what economical vehicle does? Vehicles like the Cobra are basically classified as pleasure vehicles and not marketed as a primary transport. In my case the Cobra is my economy vehicle since I still have a gas guzzling SUV as my alternate transportation.

RF Cobra
09-08-2005, 10:01 AM
WOW :eek:

I'd love to see that kinda turn for Shell gas around here! Our sounds like it's similar (in the fasion that a carryout is attached to it), but the gas, well, lets just say that unleaded at Shell is usually right about the same price at premium at Speedway down the road.
I guess it depends on location. What is funny is that is how the Texaco stations operate around here. They typically charge 20 cents per gallon or more than everyone else even when located right next door to another gas station. What really gets me though is that everytime I go by one there are always people buying gas from them even though they could have bought it 100' away for less. :crazy:

beerkat
09-08-2005, 10:49 AM
The Civic hybrid use a CVT (Continuous Varialbe Transmission ) like the Pirus. The Civic has the electric motor located between the gas engine and the transmission. It's main purpose is to help with acceleration. The battery that runs that motor is located between the rear seat and trunk. It recieves it's charge when you brake. It can get some charge from the engine if it gets to low, I think. The engine has it's own battery like any other car. If that battery goes dead you can not start the car. The Civic has a 1.3L in line 4 for it gas engine.

I looked at the Pirus, or tried, I talked with a saleman and he said that it would take at least 4 weeks to get one. It main difference form the Civid is that at speeds under 15 mph it is all electric. The saleman show me an article from C&D and it asid that Pirus real world fuel economy is closer to 44mpg and not the 60 it claims. I guess if you drive any car hard you could reduce the fuel consumption numbers.

I know that I have said this before but at some point it has to come down to using less gas and not just saving money.

RF Cobra
09-08-2005, 01:59 PM
If Ford would just update the Super Stallion to the '04 design or maybe the '05 as an SVT Cobra and we could run it on alcohol all the time and use less gas... :bounce:

What gets me is people like one of our customers who uses natural gas to heat his small outdoor pool when better options are available. In the summer it uses over $350 in gas a month to heat the pool. I don't even want to think about how much gas it will use in the winter.

CobraSusie
09-19-2005, 01:48 AM
South Haven, Michigan last night....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/VenomInside/DSC01498.jpg

ausie
09-19-2005, 07:48 AM
I paid $3.05 per gallon at Mobil last night. $2.87 would have been nice to see at the pump. At least that picture is promising lower prices.

dewone
09-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Just passed a station $2.58.9 gal 87 octane here in Ohio.

Big Daddy
09-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Premium here is 2.88.9 and regular is 2.64.9. Charlotte near Lowes Speedway was 2.89.9 and 2.65.9. Not to bad seeing as last week it was 2.99.9 for regular down from a high of 3.24.9 two weeks ago just after the Hurricane. :thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
09-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I've got one that'll have you compacting yur britches with fecal material....

Speedyway, Dayton OH - Unleaded - $2.39

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I do believe that is actaully cheaper then it was BEFORE the huge price hike! :scratch: :lurk: :crazy:

Way to go gas industry.....you've managed to make absoultely no sense once again :clapping:

Come on...lets give um a hand! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

sssvtcobra
09-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Paid $3.07 2 days ago here in Oregon for supreme @ 92 octane (Chevron). Oh well. I'll just ask for a raise to compensate for the gas prices. Who knows mybe I'll get lucky :D

dewone
09-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Down to 2.48 in Ohio. Yes I too would like a raise to help compensate for the increased cost to get to work.
Just step on this box.

beerkat
09-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Well I went and filled up the Honda this morning. 87 oct. is $3.01 a gal and 93 oct is $3.21 at BP. I could of sworn that yesterday it was all under $3.

dewone
09-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Enlight of Rita, prices jumped back up to 2.79 from 2.48 at most stations. Found 1 before she hit at 2.69 thought I got a deal. Still cost $78 to fill the truck. Last year it was $40-$50 to fill this year looks like $75-$90. Ouch