PDA

View Full Version : How to buy stuff through on these forums???

scootro
08-18-2005, 06:15 AM
How to buy stuff through on these forums???

I want to help people from not getting ripped off through our forums opinions on how and how not to buy stuff through our classifieds…

Pay options!!!!! (pay pal, money order, certified bank check) also mailing your money and things to know to track your money like sending your money order by certified mail. So you can get a tracking number and a signature when it arrives to the seller….

Questions to ask the owner (name, address, phone number, email address)

Do not do business through pm’s………always use emails. Their easier to print off or post on forums when you get ripped off to inform others about your un-comfortable experience with the seller…

The price of the item plus shipping cost

Anyone got anything to add?????????????? I tired of hearing about people getting ripped off… Sometimes I think buyers on these forums are just not informed on what the proper way to buy stuff from people you don’t know and it’s to far away to buy in person…

Please make this a permanent post……….. To inform everyone……..

Please post this post to the correct place in the forum

RF Cobra
08-18-2005, 12:05 PM
The appropriate place for this would be the For Sale/Wanted forum.

I am not aware of any problems relating to postings on our board to date.

While I have not bought anything from someone via our forum yet I would follow the following guidelines before I did.

I would never buy something from someone whose only post is an item for sale or they have less than 100 posts on the board if the sale is to be handled by mail. It would have to be a face to face transcation allowing inspection of the items to be purchsed prior to money changing hands.

I would check to see if they are an actual SCMC member, not just someone who has setup a screen name so they can post on the board.

I would look at their public profile. If they are unwilling to provide any information then that can be a warning sign. What they do post would need to be verifiable since just because that is what said, that does not make it true. I would also find other posts they have made to get a feel for their personality and temperment (I would probably not buy something from someone if they are always spouting off about something in their posts, constantly bashing others, or if they are always negative or argumentative).

I would ask fellow SCMC members that I know if they know anything about the person.

Personally I prefer to do business face to face, unless it is someone I have met previously and know them well enough that I trust them. It is too easy for someone to setup a free screen name and pretend to be something they aren't and misrepresent themselves and what they are selling. Pictures can be deceiving, do not always reveal everything, and can be manipulated.

The important thing to remember is: The SCMC is not responsible in any way for any items posted for sale on the board or the actions of the person selling the item. The only items the SCMC has any responsiblity for are those items sold by the SCMC in the store. Do not assume anything just because they posted on our forum. All posts and their contents are the sole responsibility of the poster. Any misleading or fraudulent posts should be reported immediately.

And last but not least, CAVEAT EMPTOR - Let the buyer beware!

Lumpydogs
08-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I have bought, sold and given away things on this board without any
problems what so ever. Just thought I would add that. :D

smashedheadcat
08-19-2005, 10:51 PM
One thing I always do is search all the user's posts in the for sale/wanted forum. If it's an expensive part, then I'll PM some of the people that have dealt with the seller in the past. To date, I've purchased many items on these forums and never got ripped off.

cobrabitn
08-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll say this much...if someone ever comes on this board and puts something up for sale and rips a member or someone else off then I want to know about it as they will be banned from ever coming to this board again. That's one thing we won't tolerate, a thief! :mad:

smashedheadcat
08-20-2005, 12:40 PM
I'll say this much...if someone ever comes on this board and puts something up for sale and rips a member or someone else off then I want to know about it as they will be banned from ever coming to this board again. That's one thing we won't tolerate, a thief! :mad:

Werd! :thumbsup: