PDA

View Full Version : trouble with my cobra

hondapoison
08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
hey everyone,
i just bought my first cobra and it had a check engine light come on the code is a pending code not a trouble code, it is code P1443. evap vacuum system - purge or vmv fault. i think it means there is a vacuum leak i was wondering if anyone has had any troubles like this or known of anything like this and if anyone has any answers thanks.

smashedheadcat
08-18-2005, 10:59 PM
hey everyone,
i just bought my first cobra and it had a check engine light come on the code is a pending code not a trouble code, it is code P1443. evap vacuum system - purge or vmv fault. i think it means there is a vacuum leak i was wondering if anyone has had any troubles like this or known of anything like this and if anyone has any answers thanks.

I really don't have much expirience with this code, but on my dad's old corvette, he had something similar. It turned out being the gas cap cover wasn't tight.

nckissfan
08-18-2005, 11:50 PM
sounds similar to that. How long has the light been on? Same tank of fuel? Did you run low on fuel, or park on a hill? My light came on after I parked on a steep upgrade. After 30 or 40 miles of running around, it finally went off.

tcrews
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
It's pretty common, the canister that handles converting gas "fumes" back into a liquid and sending them back into the fuel system just dies.

Mine did on my '97, my friends did on his '97 and a few guys I know with '96, '98s have had the same problem. It's about $70 or so in parts.....labor I have no idea.

Could be as simple as a loose gas cap (not likely but is a possibility) or the system (evap vacuum system - purge or vmv fault) has failed. It will not cause any problems for you if you don't do anything...other than your check engine light being on all the time.

hondapoison
08-20-2005, 04:08 PM
my light went off last night and then came back on again after a while so its not a permanent problem i guess but i will look into what everyone has said. thanks