PDA

View Full Version : home made PCV valve body

ausie
08-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I have been contemplating for some time to dress up the engine bay a little. I had bought a decorative PCV Valve from Cobra Valley but the problem was it required a larger hole than the valve cover had. I did not really want to take the valve cover off to drill it out but that would have been easy since my work has a full machine shop available at my disposal. Since I had several spare parts laying around the home, I decided to make my own. I was lucky to find some 2 inch bar stock at work (left over from a previous product we no longer manufacture). It only took me 5 hours of after work activity to complete. It was one of those "figure out how to make it while you are cutting the material" type deals. Not bad for a beginner on the metal lathe. Too bad we do not have the modern equipment where I work, I could just imagine what I could make if we did. A standard metal PCV valve is housed in the center, with a large "O" ring to seal off leaks. The assembly is clamped with 4 #10 bolts. It actually looks like it belongs where it is (much better than the plastic PCV valve). There is actually enough room to place a filter element below the PCV valve which may be the next thing I do with it. :thumbsup:

beerkat
08-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Looks good, Nice job.:thumbsup:

ausie
08-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks Beerkat. It was a bit difficult since most of the equipment was antiquated. Trying to find the correct end mill or drill bit was the difficult part of it since the lathe I am familiar with did not have a large enough chuck to fit the cutting tools. I started off by drilling the 4 clamp bolt holes, then eyeballed where the hose fitting should go. I could not tap the holes until I cut the part in half. I could have had the machinist do it for me but that would take out all the fun in making the part. Coring the part took the longest since I did not want a full bore at the same size diameter. I had a few issues with bit chatter but it did the job. After the car show I will take the part out and take more pictures of it, inside and out.

What I like best, the car starts right up without any hesitation. The old stock PCV valve was leaking at the neck where the 90 connects to the body of the valve. Besides that I like things a bit different than what can be found else where.

InfamousSVT
08-21-2005, 09:59 PM
So Ausie, when can see those on ebay for sale? :rotf:

Looks good man!:thumbsup:

ausie
08-22-2005, 07:06 AM
I never thought about selling them, :scratch: :smack: It was hard enough to make the proto-type at work without being caught (one reason I did it after work hours). I am surprised it actually turned out the way it did or that I did not snap a tap in one of the holes since they are blind (not all the way through). Perhaps drawing up the design on paper would be a good start and find a place that could make them at a reasonable cost. If I only had my own machine shop in the basement I would make them myself and probably other things too.