PDA

View Full Version : New Borla system

jjraiser
08-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I just installed a Borla cat-back system last weekend. I have to say, it is worth twice the money! The car sounds so great and you can really feel the power. It rushes to redline noticeably quicker. But, regardless of the power, and it is there, it sound awesome.

I can't compare it to other systems, so I'm no expert on what's better or not, but the Borla system is great.

Just a side note, I had the car on a lift for about 5 hours doing the exaust, cleaning, lunch, etc., and found that the differential was still warm at the end of the day. It never cooled off! :firebounc I don't know if I have issues or that's just the nature of these IRS rears. The exaust sits right below the diff and radiates heat, as well as no real air to cool the thing. I gotta believe this would be the weak link in any long road race/track event.

InfamousSVT
08-23-2005, 12:08 AM
I've heard of a bunch of people that love the Borla cat-backs.

I'm glad that you like the new cat-back and new sound. As for the differential..........If you were to do long track events or road racing I'd suggest looking into a differential cooler.

beerkat
08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I love my Borla also. I only spent two hours on the trade out, but I did not clean the underside either. I had an issue where the exhaust pipe hit the plastic sheet arouond the gas tank and melted it a little but other than that I have not had any other problems with them.:thumbsup:

A friend of mine who also has them said that he has put heat wrap aound the pipes in order to reduce the amount of heat in certain areas.:cool:

Linn@Amazon
08-23-2005, 07:03 PM
when we developed this system for Borla we polled our customers to see what they would like to see in a system for the 03 Cobras.. after proto typing for several weeks the Stinger system is what we came up with..the 40 hp gain was an added bonus...most guys loved the looks with the 4 " rolled tips and exhaust note..even after 2 years this still seems to be a very popular choice with the 03/04 Cobra crowd..it is one of the 2 systems that we recommend for the cars..

jjraiser
08-24-2005, 08:28 AM
I was considering the diff cooler system, but it's not cheap and I have a feeling not a simple bolt-in kit. However, the insulating heat wraps are a more practical application; great for areas near the differential. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the ideas. ;)

As far as the OE system, I never realized how quiet and tame SVT made the car sound. Granted, the Borla system will vibrate your eardrums to oblivion if you had to drive many hours on a regular basis, so I'm sure Ford was appealing to a broader crowd. That's why you gotta LOVE THE AFTERMARKET!!! :bounce:

Cobrizo
08-25-2005, 12:12 AM
I have the Borla catback on my cobra and I absolutely love it! Really deep and throaty, now the car sounds like the muscle it is.

jjraiser
08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Yes, and the sound in the 5,000 rpm range is pure bliss!

Cobrizo
08-25-2005, 03:52 PM
I totally agree, and I love the 4" rolled tips also. That was one of the first things I did, the car was just way too quiet for my taste.

Pam

Mirage
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
jjraiser~ Like I mentioned in a few other posts, although I've used Flowmaster for all of my past Mustangs, going with Borla this time for my Cobra was definitely a good decision. At the time Flowmaster didn't have a system for the '03 Cobra so since Borla did, that's the system I purchased. I couldn't be happier with the quality of the product, ease of installation and of course the sound. I'd certainly recommend this system to other Cobra owners without hesistation.