PDA

View Full Version : 4th SVT, first Cobra...

_SVT_
08-27-2005, 04:27 AM
Yes! I finally bought my dream car. I have wanted a Cobra since I was 15 (ten years ago), but had no idea that they would be so sweet by the time I actually got around to buying one (390/390 stock!). 03 Silver Conv. w/11K miles.

I have owned 2 of the Gen 1 Lightings and I currently own a Gen 2 Lightning. I just paid it off, so my wife said I could get the Cobra. My wife drives an 04 Expedition EB. Yep, all Fords. The only non Ford was my first car (72 VW Super Beetle:).

I am familiar with the SCed 5.4 2V, but the SCed 4.6 4V is all new to me. I have a few questions and I hope some of you can help me out.

I was wondering what "vendors" and "brands" you all reccomend for the following -

-Air Filter
-Upper Pulley
-Spark Plugs
-Tuner
-Exhaust

Also, what other mods would you all reccomend for getting the best bang for the buck after completing the above mentioned? I put a full Roush suspension on my L and lowering shackles to give it a nearly balanced front to back look and with Nittos it handles better than the Cobra. The Cobra isn't bad, but I would like it to at least out handle my L. Any suspension suggestions?

THANKS! I appreciate any of your responses.

Trent

RF Cobra
08-27-2005, 07:41 AM
As far as vendors go, be sure to check out our vendors page. That's a good place to start. If you haven't already joined the SCMC, do so and you will get the discounts that are shown on the vendor page. :thumbsup:

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/mechandise/vendor.htm

Congratulations on your purchase. I've had my '04 for just over a year and have loved every minute of it. Oh, and the 390 hp/tq thing, that's underrated on both counts. Enjoy! :D

Big T
08-27-2005, 06:01 PM
We are a ford only family also. I use ngk tr6 spark plugs gapped at .035. Most people like the jlt cold air kits. I have the bbk kit mainly for the bling, but had to cut it straight to avoid a bend before the mass air meter. It was screwing with my idle. There are lots of good pulleys: billetflow, south florida pulley headquarters... Make sure you get an auxillary idler kit when you get the smaller pulley so you don't get alot of belt slip. I used the superchips microtuner from modular madness and I'm very pleased. As far as bang for the buck, the tuner and pulley swap was the best for me. I'm going to get my blower ported soon (about $500). This is said to be a very good mod after the pulley change and is said to get another 40/40 rwhp/tq. Most people can remove the eaton by themself and ship it off with no problem. I haven't done any suspension changes yet. Have fun and congrats.

Linn@Amazon
08-28-2005, 09:29 AM
CAI-they are all about the same performance wise just make sure they are a straight in air source and not pulling from the fendor..this causes turbulence in the air flow and may cause idle and surging issues
-Upper Pulley-----RR it is the original patented ultra grip pulley with ALL the features not just some.these cars suffer from belt slip which means boost loss
-Spark Plugs---NGK TR6s..they are inexpensive and work great
-Tuner--either reflasher is a good product with basically the same capabilites.and only as good as the tuner who programs them..look for a tuner who specializes with and really knows the 03/04 Cobra and will give you good performance and drivability with his programming
-Exhaust-----is a very personal choice and depends what you are looking for it to do for the car..performance wise the Borla stinger or Bassani

Also, what other mods would you all reccomend for getting the best bang for the buck after completing the above mentioned? ? you may want to consider an aftermarket HE (Gordsford or Afco) it makes everything more efficent and is a good basis for adding a ported blower which is a very good bang for the buck mod and generally the next step when the car starts to feel slow again ;)

_SVT_
08-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am already used to the speed of the stock Cobra, since I have been driving a mildly modded Lightning for the past couple years.

I think I will start by ordering the Borla exhaust, predator, 2.75 pulley, and CAI. Once I have "gotten used to" the speed I will probably go with the aftermarket Heat Exchanger.

Thanks again!

NO 5 OH
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Yes! I finally bought my dream car. I have wanted a Cobra since I was 15 (ten years ago), but had no idea that they would be so sweet by the time I actually got around to buying one (390/390 stock!). 03 Silver Conv. w/11K miles.

I have owned 2 of the Gen 1 Lightings and I currently own a Gen 2 Lightning. I just paid it off, so my wife said I could get the Cobra. My wife drives an 04 Expedition EB. Yep, all Fords. The only non Ford was my first car (72 VW Super Beetle:).

I am familiar with the SCed 5.4 2V, but the SCed 4.6 4V is all new to me. I have a few questions and I hope some of you can help me out.

I was wondering what "vendors" and "brands" you all reccomend for the following -

-Air Filter
-Upper Pulley
-Spark Plugs
-Tuner
-Exhaust

Cogratulations on the new purchase... I have a vert as well and it can't be beat for looks and performance. As far as suggestions for the above I'll give you a few pointers ;)

-Air Filter: JLT makes some of the nicest kits out there. He either makes a full cold air (mounts in the fenderwell) or a ram air depending on what you want. The fenderwell kit DOES WORK as the mass air is positioned before the bends in the piping up to the throttle body and works fine. I have his "true cold air" kit on my car with a S&B 9" powerstack filter.
-Pulley: Reichard Racing makes some of the best out there... there also is Doug from Billetflow. You can do a small upper only or get a lower to be able to run more boost with less belt slip. The lower is a bit pricey (somewhat) but to me it's a well worth the benefits type thing ;)
-Plugs: NGK TR6. Gap them around .032 to .035 for best performance.
-Tuner: If you're wanting a "handheld" the newest version of the SCT flasher is top notch. It will datalog parameters and hold up to three tunes (I believe). I had the older 9100 flasher that did hold three tunes... but I got tired of it taking so long to load when changing tunes I went with a SCT 4-position chip. Now all I do is flip the switch and can change on the fly :)
-Exhuast: That's a matter of personal preference, depending on what type of sound you like. I like my MAC set-up... but it's a personal taste. Magnaflow, Bassani, Borla, and SLP all make quality exhaust components for the newer Cobras. Use your discretion :D

Also, what other mods would you all reccomend for getting the best bang for the buck after completing the above mentioned? I put a full Roush suspension on my L and lowering shackles to give it a nearly balanced front to back look and with Nittos it handles better than the Cobra. The Cobra isn't bad, but I would like it to at least out handle my L. Any suspension suggestions?

I have a lot of Maximum Motorsports goodies on my car... and it handles superbly for as much horsepower it has. I've really done nothing more than change the springs, and changed virtually ALL the rubber bushings in the car to "stiffen" it up more. I'd say springs, bushings and subframe connectors (fulll length) would be a good start.

Hope this helps,

Shannon

Cobra4me
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Linn@Amazon]CAI-they are all about the same performance wise just make sure they are a straight in air source and not pulling from the fendor..this causes turbulence in the air flow and may cause idle and surging issues
Explain are you saying that you shouldn't use a cai that mounted inside the fender example JLT??

Linn@Amazon
08-28-2005, 09:36 PM
just to clarify..that would be the only exception...good data with the JLT and no issues..

Cobra4me
08-28-2005, 11:43 PM
not trying to steal the thread but what intake if any would you recommend for my 04. I haven't put one of mine and I am confused on the different types ie: RAI, CAI and the different makes

blk04cobra1
08-29-2005, 08:49 AM
CAI's usually yield better numbers than RAI b/c the air charge going in to the intake is cooler (which produces more power)...most of the CAI brands yield similar increases with the JLT yielding the most (20+rwhp). I had a MAC straight shot on mine and it yielded 18rwhp.

Rick@Amazon
08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
What we found on the dyno was cai's with bends cause turbulance, making a unstable airflow across the sensor. This causes stalling and surging in some cars. The maf needs a good straight laminor airflow which will keep the output voltage consist and linier as the flow increases. Look at some of the fastest cobras in the country. They have a filter right on the maf with no cover. In data logging we found 1-2 deg at most in IAC2 between the two locations. The intercooler is what keeps it that tight.

Rick