PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive wheel for drag racing?

ausie
08-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Since I have became hooked on running my car at the track, I am looking for some inexpensive wheels to mount drag radials on them. Most of the light weight wheels are 15 inch or smaller. Has any body here ever use a 15 inch on the rear? I was contemplating on getting some factory wheels if I can find a good price.

NO 5 OH
08-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Since I have became hooked on running my car at the track, I am looking for some inexpensive wheels to mount drag radials on them. Most of the light weight wheels are 15 inch or smaller. Has any body here ever use a 15 inch on the rear? I was contemplating on getting some factory wheels if I can find a good price.

A fifteen will fit... but there are only certain widths with certain backspacing that will work. You'd need a 15 X 8 wheel with a 4.5 backspace. You WILL have to grind on the tie-rod ends (and possibly the top of the brake calipers) to make them fit.

The direct fit option would be a 16 X 10 with a 6.00 backspacing. You can get these from either Diamond Racing Wheels or from Bogart. The Diamond wheels can be had for about 125 a piece... you'll shell out big bucks for Bogarts though at around 400+ PER WHEEL. The Bogarts are very light weight but if you're not "living" at the track persay it's not worth spending the money. The Diamond wheels will work just fine and aren't expensive. Best tire size for those wheels is a 26 X 11.50 X 16.

Hope this helps,

Shannon

ausie
08-29-2005, 06:46 AM
That helps alot Shannon :thumbsup: I will have to check out the Diamond wheels. After my last experience with street tires (was able to get a good hook at the end of the day), I may wait until the end of season and get them in the spring. I found a set of Ford racing replicas FR500 17x10.5 which is also at a low cost. I may end up getting all 4 wheels and just swap the BBS wheels off the night before I go to the track. I was also searching for drag radials and most of them fit a 15 inch rim. I am not sure if I want that much roll in the tire just yet. I know there are other options like Nittos or BFG drag radials, Looks like Nittos will fit the 17x10.5 even if I use a back spacer that should be okay. I am not too picky how the car looks at the track but the FR500 wheels are the closest match the the BBS RK plasmas that it would be hard to notice the difference. I have some time to decide since there are only a two months left in the season to play with. I may just get them to save the tread on the new rears from any premature damage. I know reduction in unsprung weight would help, the FR500's are probably heavy.

InfamousSVT
09-01-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm going with a set of Centerline's for my "race" wheels! Delivered to your door for around $550 for all four. But if you get the 15x8 for the rear, you'll need to grind down the tie rod end to make them fit.

I'm going with the 15x10's in the rear and 15x4's up front............Solid axle though:D

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3635&prmenbr=361