PDA

View Full Version : Dragonslayers Be Ye Ready!

lorahcobra
08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
OK, all! For those of you looking for a little more excitement than driving in a circle for 60 seconds, join us as we ride the "Tale of the Dragon" Sunday morning September 4th. We will meet at the Krystal on Lovell Road at 6:30AM. Yes, I know it's early, but this is Labor Day weekend, after all. Dragon will be very crowded later and I'm sure there will be plenty of fast traffic awards ;) as the day goes on. There are several routes available after the "Dragon" ...we can discuss that at the show Saturday. There are also several "safe" speeds at which to enjoy the scenery :rolleyes: Personally, we are removing the Cobra R front splitter so we can hit all 318 curves at full throttle :eek: Let us know if you plan to test your nerve :thumbsup: , and as the Dragon says: "Ride Me If You Dare". :bounce: :bounce:

mojosvt
08-30-2005, 08:28 AM
WHat time do you guys think that you are actually going to hit the road. I am one of those crazy people that do enjoy driving in circles, however, I want to ride the dragon as well. :D Me and my friend will be heading down sat, and plan on stopping by the ted russel show, and then heading over to the dragon. But if we can run the dragon in the morning before the 411, and there be less people on the road, that would be even better. Just let me know what you think. Hope to hear from you soon, Mike

RF Cobra
08-30-2005, 11:04 AM
You'll have to be more specific as to where the meeting point is for those of us that aren't locals as to where the Krystal's is on Lovell.

We'll have our '04 and the in-laws '97 Cobras going on the Dragon. We are staying in a cabin in Townsend and will meet with the group. We ran the Dragon both ways last year and to me that was a lot more fun than just doing it in one direction. :D

Are you familiar with the waterfall on 210 (paved forest service road) off the Cherohala Skyway? That's a great place to get a picture of your Cobra on the bridge with the waterfall in the background. The guys that were on bikes with our group last year took us there. They didn't send me the one they took of mine. :( I saw the picture of Lisa's '03 though and it was incredible. So, we are planning to go there Sunday as a part of the Dragon Run. If the group wants to go I'll be glad to take a picture for everyone (and I will send it to you). :)

RF Cobra
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
But if we can run the dragon in the morning before the 411, and there be less people on the road, that would be even better. Just let me know what you think. Hope to hear from you soon, Mike

It takes a while to get there and back to 411. When we did it last year we didn't leave quite as early due to waiting for the fog to lift and we were gone most of the day and didn't get back until the afternoon.

TonyBolton
08-30-2005, 01:48 PM
It takes a while to get there and back to 411. When we did it last year we didn't leave quite as early due to waiting for the fog to lift and we were gone most of the day and didn't get back until the afternoon.I would imagine that the dragon would be about as fun to drive as sitting in traffic in Pigeion Forge at a RodRun, due to the Labor Day weekend traffic/events. If you think the 411 event is just a "circle tracK", you need to do more investigation. It is more of a road course, than just left handers. Why not give the 411 event a try this time. If you don't like it, you can tell us, and you could possibly get outta there around 1pm, and still have enough time to go sit/cruise on the Dragon.

RF Cobra
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
I would imagine that the dragon would be about as fun to drive as sitting in traffic in Pigeion Forge at a RodRun, due to the Labor Day weekend traffic/events. If you think the 411 event is just a "circle tracK", you need to do more investigation. It is more of a road course, than just left handers. Why not give the 411 event a try this time. If you don't like it, you can tell us, and you could possibly get outta there around 1pm, and still have enough time to go sit/cruise on the Dragon.

I guess you can imagine whatever you want. Traffic is pretty light in the morning, hence the reason for meeting at 6:30. :yup:

I never said anything about 411 other than to reply to Mike's inquiry about whether or not he would have time to do both on Sunday (probably not). The Dragon does not take that long to drive in and of itself. The drive to and from takes considerably more time though.

If you are directing your comments at me since Mike is doing 411, there is nothing for me to investigate. I stopped by 411 last year the day before the Dragon Run and watched for a while and was not impressed. I prefer real road courses and driving for more than a minute or less at a time.

Lighten up and drop the attitude please. I'm glad you like 411. A lot of people do. The whole point is for those going to have fun whether they sign up for 411 or decide to do the Dragon Run. :)

TonyBolton
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
I guess you can imagine whatever you want. I prefer real road courses and driving for more than a minute or less at a time. I just think you'd be embarrased by a guy in lesser vehicle, but I guess you can imagine whatever you want. :rolleyes: If you can't drive a short track, you can't drive a long track. And you consider "The Dragon" a a real road course? Then I have a real road course on my way to work, or to the grocery store.

If I hadn't already paid for the 411 event, I'd school you on The Dragon as well.

Lighten up and drop the attitude please. As for the attitude, I didn't have any until you poked your arrogant nose toward me, I was merely making a educated suggestion. Have fun dodging the Goldwing's and cruiser bikes up there.

Firme
08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
OK, lets all simmer down :) .

No personal attacks on the board please, take them to PM's.

mojosvt
08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Man, I am sorry that I opened that can of worms. I didn't mean that to happen, just wanted to get as much bang for my buck driven all the way down to TN. My buddy had never riden the dragon, and I figured if we are going to be down there, might as well give it a try. You guys are most likely right, there is no way that i will be able to get all the way over from 129 to 411 in the morning, before 9. Guess I am going to have to hop in line behind the goldwings on sat, and save the tread for sun on the track. Can't wait to see ya'll again.

Even though I am not blown, I will let you run all over me on sunday Tony:rotf: . Fill up that bottle! Because it is a blast to see you spray, makes me seriously jealous. See everybody in a few days, try to stay dry, and the gas tanks full, ha ha!

TonyBolton
08-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Even though I am not blown, I will let you run all over me on sunday Tony:rotf: . Fill up that bottle! Because it is a blast to see you spray, makes me seriously jealous. See everybody in a few days, try to stay dry, and the gas tanks full, ha ha! I appologize to anyone if I came off as "hard" as thought to be, but was merely trying to correct some preconcieved idea's about what the 411 event really is. Also, downing the hobby that I enjoy(I also open-track as well, so it's not like I am short track only)didn't sit well with me either.

I'm sure the guy meant well in his post, but given the opportunity to dodge on-coming traffic, or compete in a high speed/short on-track experience, I'd chose the latter.

Mike, It's been fun watching you improve since day one at the 411 event. You've improved everytime there I believe, if not every lap you've ran. You have a good head on your shoulders and are learning the limits of your car at a safe rate. It would be nice to see you handle the car with some stickier tires. Maybe not full on R-compounds, but just something in the 100-120 treadwear area.

I'll leave this thread, I'd rather not hijack their's when there is already a current thread on what I'm speaking of. Having said that, hope to see you at the event MoJo.

RF Cobra
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
No reason for you to apologize Mike as you did nothing wrong.

As I was saying, if you want to do 411 then you probably wont have time to try to run the dragon.

lorahcobra
08-30-2005, 09:27 PM
The comments from Tony are probably directed more at me. The original message of the thread was INTENDED as a challange to peaks people's interest, not a "put down" of what anyone likes to do! Some people like apples better than oranges or vice-versa, but they're both still good. One of the reason's we are driving the "Dragon" so early, is so we can stop by 411 later and watch. Our 'vert is simply not set up for autocross as we are still on basically a stock suspension. We ran the Dragon 2 weeks ago...got there on a Saturday around 10:00am and practically had the road to ourselves going...a bit more traffic coming back about 2 hours later. Most cuisers are pretty good about letting us by, though. Incredible amount of "smack talk" on the 411 thread but it is always good natured. Simply talking about a different drive, here; let's keep this one good natured, too. Thanks, and can't wait to see everyone! Steve :thumbsup: :bounce:

lorahcobra
08-30-2005, 09:40 PM
BTW, as far as directions to the Krystal, it's a couple of miles from Ted Russell's, but we can iron all that out at the show! And, we can pick up anyone we need to along the way. From Krystal, at that time on that day, we should be at Tabcat Bridge in 45 mins. or less. Steve :thumbsup:

RF Cobra
08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Looking forward to it Steve! :thumbsup:

We will see you bright and early Saturday morning at Ted Russell. :)

cobrabitn
08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Both venues are fun. The dragon to me is more dangerous because you may not be able to see oncoming traffic and there have been 18 wheelers on that road before. But running the dragon is always a blast.

I too watched an autocross in Charlotte that the SCCA put on and it looked terribly boring. The 411 is more of a mini road course, and if you ever tried it once, you would want to go back and do it again. It is much safer to run then the dragon and more challenging since you are going against the clock and a bunch of taxi cabs.. :rotf:

Just whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy it. Isn't that why we are all here for anyway?

RF Cobra
08-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Just whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy it. Isn't that why we are all here for anyway?
:yup:

mojosvt
08-31-2005, 08:36 AM
I thought you all where running the dragon on sunday, that is what you statedin your original post. If you all are running it on sat, might see you there. There is no way that I will be able to get down there that early, but we get over there at some point in the day, most likely when there is the most traffic:rolleyes: . Anywho, see you all in a few days, Mike

RF Cobra
08-31-2005, 09:38 AM
I thought you all where running the dragon on sunday, that is what you statedin your original post. Mike,

Dragon run is Sunday. The car show is on Saturday at Ted Russell. Steve and I will both be working at the show so we will both be at Ted Russell Ford bright and early on Saturday for the show. :)

Have fun at 411 and be sure to show those taxis how its done! :D

mojosvt
08-31-2005, 10:44 AM
I get it now... thanks for the clerification. Either way, see you sat. Catch ya soon

lorahcobra
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Tony, I agree with you. The Dragon can be very dangerous even if you are driving safely. Fortunately, there are very few "blind" curves, even though most are "hairpin". We will go over a few safety rules Sunday morning...if you follow them, your biggest concern will be "the other guy"...yes, you will have to drive defensively while, ahem, sightseeing. But then, alertness to the conditions applies whether you are on a public road or a track or AX or the dragstrip! Don't forget your video cameras! :cool:

RF Cobra
09-01-2005, 10:09 AM
In an effort to comply with the ruling body's request to conserve hay for our horses due to artificial shortages as a result of mass panic, ye dragon riders shall commence thy quest in conservation compliance by riding 1 mph slower than on previous runs...

;) :p

flynfink
09-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I'll be coming up from the other end of the dragon on my motorcycle Sunday AM. Would love to catch up with ya'll. Steve, give me a call on my cell Sunday AM. 704-307-6985

lorahcobra
09-01-2005, 11:51 PM
On the other hand, if we run faster, then we'll get to the other side faster, and therefore.....oh well, never mind! :flash: BTW, you might want to check out knoxvillegasprices.com to find the best price...I can assure you the best price will not be in Robbinsville! :eek: :jawdrop: Yeah, Jeff we'll give you a ring as we approach lift off....I mean the Dragon! :tomcat:

lorahcobra
09-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry, all. They have been working us to death at Denso and I have been ttrryyiinngg to get things together for this show and almost forgot. :o Don't forget your walkie talkies if you have them! Bring extra if you can. :thumbsup: Definitely do NOT forget your cameras!

flynfink
09-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Steve and Crystal - (and the reat of ya'll) - looks like the car and the Ducati are staying home this trip. I'll be camping in the Natahala area and hiking and bicycling. have fun and keep the runner on the road (your own side of the double yellow, too)

Fink

lorahcobra
09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Steve and Crystal - (and the reat of ya'll) - looks like the car and the Ducati are staying home this trip. I'll be camping in the Natahala area and hiking and bicycling. have fun and keep the runner on the road (your own side of the double yellow, too)

Fink
Enjoy!! :)

RF Cobra
09-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Dragon Run!

I can't believe Steve had to stop and ask for directions... (pic 2) :rolleyes:

RF Cobra
09-07-2005, 11:39 PM
More shots.

RF Cobra
09-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Final stop of the day.

lorahcobra
09-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, even I can get excited about the Dragon and forget where I am. ;) Ha! Ha! If you don't think that Dragon can put a few years on you, check out those "before and after" pics of Bill & Emmy Lou at the restaurant! :eek:

RF Cobra
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
If you don't think that Dragon can put a few years on you, check out those "before and after" pics of Bill & Emmy Lou at the restaurant! :eek:
:rotf:

I have a panorama shot I made of all 12 cars at the pulloff that I wish I could post on the board. (Firme?:spoke:) Due to the size (width) of the picture it is over 4 mb even on lower quality, so it is too big to post and I think it is too big to email also. :(

Oh, great job with the show Saturday! Since I opened my big mouth I guess I have to get the DVD done now...:eek: Never thought I'd get first place... :D

And yes there were several other cars in my class so stop that - you know who you are! :p :rotf:

svtmc-g
09-09-2005, 06:20 PM
MAN. I really wish I could've came! Of well, Next year I'll be living in Nashville and be debt free(save house payment and a Terminator payment :D ) Therefore I'll be attending many SCMC events. Looks like you all had a great time! Cheers:)
Matt

RF Cobra
09-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Picture of the group at the start.