PDA

View Full Version : Ticking sound

bcstrong
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
I am getting a strange ticking sound coming from the top of the engine around the intake manifold on my 96 cobra vert. can anybody tell me what this might be?

Thanks

Firme
08-29-2005, 01:21 PM
do you have any more details?

What rpm/at idle?
Does the ticking increase in rate with rpm?

the best way to find out the source of the tick IMO, would be a Mechanic's Stethoscope.

WOPONY98
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
I get the same ticking also. The sound decreases when gas is applied. So when RPM's are up no sound. When at idle I hear it big time. :(

1-QIK-SNK
08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
i know my 96 had a ticking when it set for a week or two. i would start it and would tick for about 10-15 sec. i freind of mine at kenny brown told me to try using synthetic oil and the ticking has never came back(knock knock) ;)

maybe you could try using some synthetic oil if you are not using it now.
just a idea. good luck

kerry m

bcstrong
08-30-2005, 01:17 AM
it seems loudest at idle and seams to disappear between 2500 and 3000rpm i think or it could be that the exhaust sound just overpowers it at that rpm. I am already running synthetic oil although i may be down a bit. i put in a bottle of that valve medic stuff and it didn't help at all same with the octane booster just to make sure it wasn't knocking from the fuel but i have heard engine knock on other cars and this doesn't sound like that.

ausie
08-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Not really sure... PCV's will make some noise but not very much unless you had the hood up. Also the EGR will click on and off and that is very noticable (sounds very much like the AC compressor clutch kicking in). If the vaccum regulator/switch is not working properly the EGR valve may be turning on and off rapidly which would result in "check engine light" eventually due to excessive EGR. I do know the EGR is somewhere located at the intake (usually near the back of the motor). IT could be a number of things and hard to identify. I am just adding my 2 cents for what ever it is worth. :spoke:

dewone
08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Could it be your fuel injectors, they make a tick noise also. Perhaps some fuel injector cleaner may reduce the sound. .02

Topher
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
I aswell have this ticking noise. Can hear it really good when the car starts up, the exhaust does drown out the sound at higher rpms, but I can hear it if I drive next to a wall. After driving for awhile it seems to go away. Sometimes I start the car up and it's not there. The ticking comes and goes in both hot and cold weather. Have tried flushing and changing oils, did not help. When I took the car to the local ford shop they said they could not hear any ticking, I assume it wasn't doing it for them that day. The ticking does get faster with higher rpms. Not sure if this is the same issue as some of the other peoples ticking noises.

This is really annoying to me, heh, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas? Even though it is hard to diagnose when you do not hear it yourself.

casey99COBRA
09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
I'd get it every now and then in the 99. i'm thinking it may be some kind of valve train noise.

bcstrong
09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah topher that is almost exactly the way mine is except mine doesn't come and go, it's always there. A mechanic i saw about it said maybe sticky/plugged lifter or bent rocker arm or something the only thing is i am wondering whtther this is just anooying and somewhat embarassing or if it going to end up causing further engine damage. I am planning on replacing the heads/valvesprings/pistons/bearings/rods, etc this winter to get ready for the supercharger bolt on next year so should i wait until the to deal with the problem or should i have them pull the valve cover on the side it's making the noise and deal with it now

ausie
09-03-2005, 10:21 AM
If I did not say this already (some where else in this forum) I had a similar issue with the 01 Cobra. It was not noticable until after I changed over to synthetic oil (several thousand miles after that is). Mostly when the engine was cold and would stop making the noise once at operating temperature. Idle was quiet but at 2000 to 3000 RPM it would tick only when under load. It was not piston slap nor was it detonation or ping. What made sense at the time, someone mentioned the hydraulic chain tensioner may be sticking and since the sound was comming from the front of the motor I thought that was a good assumption. I have tried many different oil weights 20-w50, 0-w30 5-w20 and had very much the same occurance. The tick stopped after changing back to conventional oil and did not return even after using synthetic oil again. I have read some where that other vehicles (corvettes) have experienced very much the same issue. One of the probable causes was the oil filter having a poor seep valve (that rubber flap that is supposed to stop the reversal of oil flow back into the pump once the motor has shut down.