PDA

View Full Version : Sti vs Svt

D. Blitz
08-29-2005, 02:04 PM
My brother recently purchased a 2005 Subaru wrx Sti. He is very happy with the car and has already been bitten with the mod bug. I have loved mustangs since i was 14 years old... and thought that the Cobra Svt would be a great car. Just wanted to know before I empty the bank account... what mods if any should I have to do to have the satisfaction of seeing him in the rear view.

Thanks,

David

Firme
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
The Cobra and STI are both nice cars. Its one of those different strokes for different folks deal. I personally love the Cobra :cool: . Both cars can be made fast with $$ thrown at them.

As far as the Cobra, what year Cobra did you have in mind? An 03/04 factory supercharged Cobra can be made to be a monster with the right mods. The previous years, take a little more to get up there. It really depends on what mods he has, as to what you would need to "see him in the rear view".

D. Blitz
08-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for you post. As far as the Cobra goes I would like to find 2004.

As far as his mods on the Sti...
-Borla Hush w/ downpipe
-K&N Cai
-Engine Management Tuning
-Sway Bars
-Springs
...as far as I know.

Thanks,

David

93KingCobra
08-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Personally to see him in the rear view I would say go with..

X-pipe
Catback
CAI
2.76 Pully w/idlers
MGW shifter
Make sure you get a good tune from someone reliable.....

That should put you WAY out there with no problem :thumbsup:

kilroy
08-30-2005, 12:06 AM
stock for stock you'd hand him his arse easily from a roll (yes, I have experience). The reason STi's pull really low 13s at the strip is they have an ungodly launch with their AWD. Be on your toes at the strip & again, no worries stock-for-stock.

a pulley, tune, CAI, & cat-back will turn your car into a different beast. :thumbsup: If your brother is modding, so should you.

Happy hunting!

D. Blitz
08-30-2005, 10:55 PM
I appreciate the advice. Hopefully with some of these new mods I can bring the trash talking to an end:D

Thanks,

David

blk04cobra1
08-31-2005, 09:35 AM
I think you'll be OK...if it's from a roll, dont worry...from a dig, ehh just make sure you launch it well :thumbsup:

D. Blitz
08-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting. I have heard a fairly general consensus that as long as its from a roll, there shouldn't be any problem. But from a stop it might be a little more difficult.

Any suggestions on rims and tires that will help me out, without sacrificing all ability to drive in the rain.

Thanks,

David

blk04cobra1
08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
I think the BFG KD's are the softest radial with rain drivability (all though Ive heard they still dont handle too well in the rain)...Ive got the BFG drag radials and with 600+rwhp, they grip like a civ on the dry pavement...Ive said it before, if this were my daily driver, i'd have two sets of rims (one with radials and one with drag radials)...

D. Blitz
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
I appreciate the advice. While it would be nice to be able to leave a set of drag radials on full time, I simply can't justify it as this car would be my daily driver. I think the BFG KD's would however be fine.

With that said, I hate to be an annoyance but any suggestions on sizes?

Thanks,

David

blk04cobra1
08-31-2005, 09:47 PM
stock rims...275/40/17 just like your stock F1's except better, you can fit a larger one, but that's what i'd suggest...if you got up to a 18X10, then I would get 295's or 315's...

these are the KD's http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetakd.jsp

or the new tread (which im getting next week :bounce: )
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetakdw.jsp