PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for an 04?

ausie
08-31-2005, 07:46 AM
It has almost been a year since I have had the 04. I have noticed a few things that this Car will do that my 01 did do not (which includes just about every other car I had owned) besides the obvious. I am just curious if anybody else has noticed similar behavior with their terminator.

1. AC does not shut off under hard acceleration when set to AC max. Some of you may disagree with me on this one, but I would notice the surge once the compressor clutch disengages.

2. Top speed is not electronically limited. :D I suspect this may have something to do with the slightly different tire size having a 0.8% error. I have burried the speedo needle (well below the 160 mark). It was the adrenaline rush that caused me to slow down. :thumbsup:

I bought this car new from the Ford dealer and to my knowledge it has the factory tune.

beerkat
08-31-2005, 09:26 AM
I do not have the nerve to try and bury my speedometer on the street. I do think that you are right about the A/C, However most time when I am driving hard it is on the track and I have the A/C turn off.

RF Cobra
08-31-2005, 09:55 AM
I know my AC disengages on the "normal" settings but I have never had a need to put it on the max setting so I don't know.

It could be possible the limiter was removed on the '04 (maybe by an employee without approval?). It is also possible the speedo might not be very accurate at the top end of the scale and the tire difference you mentioned could be increasing that inaccuracy. I can't remember who it was, and if they had an '03 or '04, but someone posted a while back that the limiter kicked in at 160 on their speedo. I have not had mine on a track yet where I could open it up all the way so I've not gone over 120 yet.

I've heard from Ford that the reason for the limiter is that the car can become unstable over 160 because the spoiler is not providing enough downforce. I also know there are guys that go faster than that on the track with the stock spoiler so who knows how much truth there is to Ford's statement. :scratch:

Maybe you got lucky and got a factory freak. :D

wvmystichrome
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
My A/C on my 04 blows so cold it doesn't have time to warm up under hard acceleration. I probably just have not got on it long enough and probably won't. I just turned 940 miles or so on mine ao I really have not had the chance.

ausie
09-01-2005, 07:57 AM
The only time I had the car to that speed was when I was playing with a GTO. I had not realized just how fast I was going until after the GTO could not keep up. After looking at the speedometer I noticed that the needle had exceeded 160. That was on a highway with barely any traffic. A bit hair raising but was a blast but not something I would do over again on the road. As far as stability goes, it felt normal, smooth and not unstable at all. It is possible that I may have come close to the speed limiter but that should have been at 155mph not above 160. With the error of the tire difference the actual speed with the speedometer at 160 the correct speed would be 161.3mph. :eek: I have not tried to do that again except at the drag strip but I know the car will not go that fast in a quarter in stock form.