PDA

View Full Version : Shifter install question

The Gord
09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
I just installed an MGW shifter in my 99 cobra, but did not install the shift stop screws. Is it necessary for me to go back and install them? Why?

Over the weekend I also installed the JLT true cold air intake and magnaflow x-pipe and cat-back. Since this was the first time I saw or drove the car, I ultimately determined that cobras rule. One other thing, my 3rd to 2nd downshift makes the motor whine a whole lot more than the other downshifts. is this normal for my 99?
thanks for all the help

dewone
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
On the shifter I would set the stops according to the instructions, Mine is the Pro 5.0 but they are alot alike, and it isn't that much trouble. Why with the stock setup there isn't any stops which could let you over shift the trans. People may argue this with me but I personally have done just that shifting to hard. That car never left third gear again ever. Sent it to the junk yard still stuck in third.

Hopefully the whine is just the rpm differance from the different gears going down. I haven't noticed this on mime, could be I'm not paying attention.

DC97Cobra
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Defanitely put the stop bolts back in and adjust them. The previouos owner installed a Pro 5.0 shifter in my car and never adjusted the bolts. The end result was a busted 3-4 gear selector plate and a cracked 1-2 shift fork. Adjust them now and save the headache for later. :thumbsup:

Cobra4me
09-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Just my .02 but mgw suggests strongly not to use stops. Since the tremec have internal stops

tazzracing1
09-08-2005, 12:16 AM
The t-45 does not have interal stops and it is a very good idea to use them to help damage to the trans. The t-56 how ever does have internal stops. I have the MGW and the stops are in, I would much rather be safe than sorry and have a large repair bill.

The Gord
09-08-2005, 09:39 AM
thanks for the help. Ill go ahead and install the stops.