PDA

View Full Version : Denso Irridiums IT22 finaly made it into my Cobra

ausie
09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
:thumbsup: Holly hanna. I did not expect to notice them this much. :D I have about 12k miles on the clock and was not really impressed by the SC4.6 mil when compared to the NA 01. Sure there was a huge difference between the two but I just thought I was used to the acceleration forces that I did not notice much between the two. First impressions is what I find hard to forget. The 01 really impressed me from day one but the 04 did not. I could tell the difference but it just did not explode off the line like I expected it to, untill now. The stock plugs out of the 04 are similar in design to the Denso's (reduced electrode at the tip, I expected the flat style but was surprised to find differently). The stock plugs looked okay after removal but I did notice they were missing every now and then which was probably steeling power and slowing down the acceleration a bit. The new Denso's went in last night, what a difference even without getting into the boost. Very crisp throttle response now. Took it out on the highway to finish off the re-learn process, SWEET :thumbsup: I should have done this much sooner. If I cannot break that dang 13 second barrier to bump up to the 12 second club it would have to be the driver (me) at fault. I know they cost alot, but I had great results with them in the 01 so why not try them out in the 04? I had removed the air silencer some time ago and did not notice any improvement (one reason I put it back on but then removed it at the track just to see if any improvement in time would occur). I guess I will just have to see if there is any significant improvement at the track to justify if there is any gains or if I am just imagining it.

InfamousSVT
09-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Sweet! Are those plugs the same heat range as stock or colder?

Let us know what your results are :)

ausie
09-09-2005, 07:24 AM
The IT22's are one heat range down from the 03 (IT20) recommended plug and 3 ranges down from the 01 recomended plug. Denso I assume attempts to match the stock heat range, however if the stock plug on the 03 is the same on the 04 it will be one heat range colder. My pullies and tune are still stock so I did not see any reason to reduce the heat range below the recommended plug. All I can claim for now is that I can tell the difference in throttle response and acceleration. I cannot wait until I get to the track but may wait until next week to do so to give the new parts some settling time and the ECU a chance to complete the re-learn process (not really sure how long it takes). Only at that time will I be able to put to test the claim on the package "a 0.7 second advantage to reach 150km/hr when compared to the standard plug".
I will post scanned images of before and after timeslips once I get to the track. I have a total of 8 runs so far which I have also been logging into a spread sheet to map my improvements.

casey99COBRA
09-17-2005, 03:30 AM
what are your 60 ft times aus? If you aren't doing it already just keep your foot on the gas an don't let off till you have passed the 1/4 marker :P after about 7 passes on the track (getting the fill and what i needed to do) i was going from high 14's to low 13's in 5000 ft elevation with the 99 cobra. Now i'm doing 11's with my new gt with alot more power hehe.

ausie
09-17-2005, 10:22 AM
My 60ft are not very good, I am stuck in the 2 second region (2.014 was one of my better times) blame it on RT and too much wheel spin, surprisingly no wheel hop yet considering with most runs I have spun the tires. Air pressure seems to improve traction but have not found the happy medium. I am hoping to hit the track this sunday if at all possible. Friday was lousy with rain so that pushed it off to the test and tune day tomorrow. If the weather holds up for this Sunday then I will see if there is any improvements. I doubt that I will make it into the 11's with the stock pully and street tires. Yeah I know my progress is slow but I am attempting to see what simple changes will make any difference first before modding and tunning the car. I am sure reducing the weight a bit would help (rear seat delete and the spare tire etc...) but I would rather keep it as it came off the assembly line for my initial runs since I am just getting used to the straight line fun time. I could probably do much better without the helmet since that forces me to sit differently than I normally do.

I guess I will have to wait until I get on the track to see if there is any improvements or not. I will try to get as many runs in as possible so I can rule out any driver error. I have yet to run on a Sunday test and tune which is different than the Friday nights street legal drag racing. Sundays they run everything, Friday is restricted to street legal only.

casey99COBRA
09-18-2005, 02:39 AM
pulley the *****!

ausie
09-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Looks like I am only a pully away from running in the 11's. Since I do not feel like adding a roll cage yet. Most of the tracks in my area require a roll cage if you run 11.99 and quicker. Finnaly running in the 12's with a best of 12.597 , 110.16 mph. I wonder what slicks would do, but the street tires are getting a great bite at the launch. (see the drag racing section for my results)

kilroy
10-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Looks like I am only a pully away from running in the 11's. Since I do not feel like adding a roll cage yet. Most of the tracks in my area require a roll cage if you run 11.99 and quicker. Finnaly running in the 12's with a best of 12.597 , 110.16 mph. I wonder what slicks would do, but the street tires are getting a great bite at the launch. (see the drag racing section for my results)
Congrats on the new best! :thumbsup:

Next time you go to the track ask the operators if they didn't lower the E.T. requirement for a cage to 11.49. NHRA/IHRA/NMRA... have all done so last year.

You won't believe what a Jekyll/Hyde machine you're driving once you pulley :spimpin:

ausie
10-17-2005, 07:03 AM
I was hoping to make some changes to the Cobra this year including the gas pedal swap. Unfortunately my Exploder needed some TLC. Had to replace the rear axle assembly (probably could have done that myself but seeing the condition of most explorer's and or navahoes of that year in the junk yards was not pleasing) at least it came with a warranty. Decided to do the usual rust inspection (the chasis needed it bad). Found the rear shackles were rusted through. Talk about an easy repair but hard to find replacement parts. I am still planning on replacing the gas pedal assembly in the cobra.

As for the Denso's, still working great and the new pep is still there. I would definately like to pully it just to feel the difference. Note: removing hood liner will definately improve supercharger scream in the cabin (windows open). More than likely due to the plugs since they have a quicker transient repsonse than the stock plugs. I can only imagine what a tune would do in just timing advance. Pully, idlers and tune will have to wait for tax return. I will also need to get some tires and wheels for just track use (thinking of MT's).