PDA

View Full Version : wheel lock help

svtmc-g
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey all. Need help. tried to take off my stock '99 wheels to paint my calipers and the wheel lock adapter has been used and abused. Can't get the slightest grip on the nut to torque it loose. I get it on the nut, apply pressure and it slips right off. I believe these are factory installed option(came with car when I bought it used). What do I do. Aside from not being able to paint the calipers, if I get a flat I'm screwed. Will Ford have any of these in good shape? Any tricks? Can they use my adapter and make it work 4 times just to switch to normal lugnuts?
Matt

Rick@Amazon
09-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi Matt, I use a Snap On wheel lock remover set at the shop. Most all tire shops have them. Take the car over and for a couple bucks they'll remove them for you.;)

Rick

cobrabitn
09-09-2005, 09:18 PM
My friendly Ford dealer took mine off for free....if you have a good relationship with them, it only takes a few minutes. :thumbsup:

1-QIK-SNK
09-09-2005, 10:13 PM
you should have a id tag on the lug wrench or in with the spare aome where. the id tag has a code on it to tell them wich one you need. at least thats what they did when the mechanic at kenny brown lost mine. they had me a new one that same day. good luck

kerry

smashedheadcat
09-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Local ford dealer removed mine for me for free.

ausie
09-10-2005, 09:11 AM
almost sounds like an impact wrench was used on it. :( Some tire shops will use impact wrenches on the wheel locks which tends to damage the key. I had a shop strip the key on me and it took 5 hours to remove the locks. This was well over 10 years ago. If you still want to use the wheel lock nuts, get a regular set of nuts so you can remove the lock nuts prior to taking the car in. If they key is factory, there should be a paper card with the lock ID number on it (the engraved number on the key is the patent number and will not identify the key cut). If you do not have the McGard lock ID card best to have the locks removed and buy another set or just use regular wheel nuts. Thinking of this is a good reminder to buy another key just in case (cost is $10.00).

redsnake99
09-10-2005, 09:19 AM
99's did not come from the factory with wheel locks, to my knowledge. I added mine from aftermarket later. I have two keys, one which I keep in the console, one in my workshop at home.

:thumbsup:

svtmc-g
09-11-2005, 09:53 PM
As usual, you guys are the best man. I, luckily, have the I.D. tag for the key. The nuts are a little messed up as well as the key. I guess I'll buy a whole new set, I may just keep them off. If someone steals my rims, I'll just get my Anthracite FR500's a little faster with insurance money. :thumbsup: haha
thanks again fellas
Matt

svtmc-g
09-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks again. Took the Cobra to the Ford dealer today. They took them right off for me.
Matt

RF Cobra
09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
You can order just a new key if you don't want to buy a whole new set. I had the replace the key on my Tbird a few years ago due to dealer using impact wrench with the key. They shipped it pretty quickly.

I'm not sure if it is any cheaper to get just a replacement key, but I would hope it is.