PDA

View Full Version : Hey, the throttle does stick to the floor afterall.

ausie
09-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I looked for the thread about the warning. Thank you whoever it was that posted it in the first place :thumbsup: . If I did not know in advace it was possible the outcome may have been much different.

On my way to work Friday morning while traveling up a long steep hill I was thinking that if I moved my foot farther up on the gas pedal I would be able to open up the throttle more. Since my driving habits are so routine I wonder how much of that finds its way on the drag stirp. When shifting from third to fourth is where I repositioned my foot and once in gear I pressed down hard on the gas. Wow I thought, it really does make a difference. Just before cresting the hill and having to slow down to make the turn at the top I let off the gas only to find out that only my foot moved and not the gas pedal. :( Hit the clutch and turned off the engine only quick enought that the RPMs hit the rev limiter twice. I was able to free the gas pedal and start the car up to slow down enough to make the turn at a much slower speed. When I got to work I decided to repeat the the gas mash to see if it would stick again. Yep. The carpet will hold the pedal at the bottom (just think this would not be an issue if the carpet was not notched out behind the gas pedal.) Time to trim and tape some carpet down before I get back on the track (I would hate for that to happen at the end of the drag strip).

redsnake99
09-10-2005, 09:10 AM
One of the requirements I have always encountered at SCMC sponsored track events is to remove all floor carpets, for two reasons. One, you don't want throttle sticking. Second, you don't want carpets flying all over the place endangering others.

:thumbsup:

wvmystichrome
09-11-2005, 11:16 PM
You have to remove all the carpet in the car to run in one of these events? Isn't that just a bit steep? I understand the safety issue of not wanting the pedal stuck to the floor but does it not require you to remove the seats, console and a lot of time just to remove the carpet? Just wondering from your answer above.

redsnake99
09-12-2005, 12:40 AM
I meant floor mats, not carpet. Yes the other would be extreme. :eek:

ausie
09-12-2005, 08:04 AM
taking out the carpet would reduce the weight by a few pounds. For now I will keep it in. As for the mats, I can see that as a possible requirement. Does that mean you can race with the windows down?

redsnake99
09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm not talking about boring drag strip sessions, I'm talking exciting open track road racing like at Road Atlanta, TMS, VIR, Watkins Glen, etc..

It does seem funny that at the drag strip I have to run with the top up and windows closed, but on the road course I have to run top and windows down.

:flash:

InfamousSVT
09-13-2005, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=redsnake99]I'm not talking about boring drag strip sessions...QUOTE]

:doubt:

Boring dragstrip sessions? Come on man the drag strip is fun too :D ;)

ausie
09-13-2005, 07:07 AM
taking on an open road course would be a great thing to do, but it is hard to do such when there are no tracks avaialble in the immediate area that offer street racing. I know they do have some activity at Nazarath speedway which is only a handful of minutes away from me. That would be something to look into. As for boring drag racing, I used to think of it that way until I tried it. The run time may be short lived but it is fun and addictive. Most of the local tracks including some of the old drag strips in the immediate location were closed down in the mid to early 80's if not sooner due to noise issues. That only leaves a handful of back roads and highways for enjoyment but at a slower speed than you would want to play with (since there is no room for dirver error). I see the cobra as a true multipurpose vehicle or DDR (Daily-driver Drag-racing Road-course). Basically the road coarse and drag racing go hand in hand. Acceleration down the quarter mile is similar to the straights in road coarse with the acception of a rolling puch as compared to movement from a dead stop. Braking is also important but I get most of the road coarse thrills on many of the back roads to and from work. You can still have fun on the streets but keep a good watch out for others (walkers, bikers, or other things that venture out in the middle of the streets).

kurtfriedrich
09-16-2005, 02:43 AM
I think I was the one who posted it first. When mine stuck, I took a knife a cut away a chunk. My dealer (Kirkland WA) gave me the run-around, and suggested I was a smoker and had burnt a hole in the carpet. Luckily, when I needed my next oil changed, I dedcided that place was never going to see me again, and I took it to the dealer in Bellevue WA. I told them what happened, and how the other dealer had contacted ford and gotten a "NO", and they said they'd try. They took a couple of digital pics, and in 15 minutes they got the clearance from Ford.

I took it back in about 2 weeks when the new rug was in, and I tried hard to explain that they should put it in differently, but they didn't. So I have a brand new carpet for the entire car (12,000 miles on my black 04), but it will likely do it again. I tried putting epoxy on it, but that didn't work out so good. I need to find some glue that they would use for indoor/outdoor carpet and try that.

THe problem is, just to the right of the gas pedal, there is a feable hook which is supposed to go thru a little hole in the top of the carpet. Its not really held on well at all. I think the problem comes not from the gas pedal, but rather your foot rubbing the carper on the right side, causeing it to come off of the hook, and then it gets jammed in the carpet.

You should contact Stephen McHenry Stephen.McHenry@nhtsa.dot.gov as he is collecting incidents, trying to get a recall from Ford.

Kurt

I looked for the thread about the warning. Thank you whoever it was that posted it in the first place :thumbsup: . If I did not know in advace it was possible the outcome may have been much different.

On my way to work Friday morning while traveling up a long steep hill I was thinking that if I moved my foot farther up on the gas pedal I would be able to open up the throttle more. Since my driving habits are so routine I wonder how much of that finds its way on the drag stirp. When shifting from third to fourth is where I repositioned my foot and once in gear I pressed down hard on the gas. Wow I thought, it really does make a difference. Just before cresting the hill and having to slow down to make the turn at the top I let off the gas only to find out that only my foot moved and not the gas pedal. :( Hit the clutch and turned off the engine only quick enought that the RPMs hit the rev limiter twice. I was able to free the gas pedal and start the car up to slow down enough to make the turn at a much slower speed. When I got to work I decided to repeat the the gas mash to see if it would stick again. Yep. The carpet will hold the pedal at the bottom (just think this would not be an issue if the carpet was not notched out behind the gas pedal.) Time to trim and tape some carpet down before I get back on the track (I would hate for that to happen at the end of the drag strip).

InfamousSVT
09-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Great info Kurt! :thumbsup:

ausie
09-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Great stuff, and thanks for the heads up since I was aware there was a probable issue which helped me save myself and my car. Every time I push the pedal down to the floor I had in the back of my mind about the sticking throttle. I was able to react quickly and keep my piece of mind intact. :thumbsup:

One thing I did notice when I notced out the carpet was that the gas pedal was very flimsy and easily bendable. Sure it was designed for the minimum load of the throttle cable and not as rigid as the brake or clutch arms. I may just have to replace it with one that is not as flimsy as the stock unit since I now have thoughts of it snapping in half from the stress of using it.

You could probably find double sided adhesive tape used by carpet installers to secure it into place. However, if you ever had to remove the carpet for any reason, it would be difficult to rip it out. It may not stick to the rubber matting that is linning the fire wall just behind the pedals. If the inner fold is bending over, perhaps a string or wire can be used to rig it up by connecting it to the passenger side from behind the console. Just a thought.

ausie
09-16-2005, 07:11 AM
just an afterthought, I did notice that the carpet has a rubber like material as a backing, perhaps a dab of RTV sealant may stick it to the floor (you may have to apply pressure to it for it to stick while the RTV cures). The trick to ahearing the carpet down would be in finding the proper adhesive. (the commercial grade adhesives would be best suited for the job )

sssvtcobra
09-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey since we are on the topic of gas pedals sticking to the floor. I checked mine out and I have a bump or a raise under my carpet of my '04. It's almost like there is something underneath it. I don't know what it is since I chose not to pull up my carpet. I was wondering if anybody else has this, if so, do you know what it is? It's like rectangular in shape, like it's a box or something.

Thanks

SVTcobra04
09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
maybe the low-jack box :D

sssvtcobra
09-17-2005, 12:46 AM
It's a possibility I guess, but don't you have to sign up for that. I thought it was some kind of theft recovery system or something.

ausie
09-24-2005, 03:49 PM
:eek: Went to the track last night. Track conditions were poor, could not hook up even with 20psi in the rears. The 4th race of the night was against a 2004 Corvette. I got him in the end and won that round. The last round same Vette, hmm I thought did not get enough? Sure enough same thing happened, he had a better reaction time than I did but overtook him at the 1000ft marker. This time I wanted to make sure I got as much out of 4th gear possible and kept the pedal down to the floor. After the trap, I found myself still accelerating even with the brakes on. Dang it, happened again but at 110mph and climbing. Had to shut the engine off and hope the steering wheel does not lock up and free the pedal before I hit the end of the track. Still had the car in gear but the ignition was off. This time the accelerator got burried in the carpet and not as easy as it was the first time to free it. This time I cut most of the carpet out and tucked the remainder under the rubber matt that lines the firewall. I sure as heck do not want to happen again. Also need to replace the cheezy throttle pedal assembly.

Kelvinator
09-25-2005, 03:39 AM
:eek: Very scary and dangerous problem that Ford needs to address.

ausie
09-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Here is the carpet fix. It will not stick anymore from now on (I can only hope) :thumbsup: . The last time it stuck, the accelerator pedal was bent due to its weakness when I was sort of standing on the pedal (hence the reason why I am looking for a more rigid replacement).

cobra2112
10-05-2005, 08:38 PM
This past Saturday I did my first pull on the dyno and the throttle stuck at half after letting it go from 6K. Scared the crap out of me. Thank god for the rev limiter or I would of had trouble. I had to turn the ignition off to stop it. My dyno tech said the cruise control cable was stuck. So be careful fellow cobra owners!:eek:

ausie
10-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I have seen some recalls on some vehicles just for that reason. It had something to do with the throttle cables becoming frayed within the cable guide.

Cobra4me
10-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I just hope Ford will do a recall on this issue before someone gets killed.
But I doubt it

04BlackCobra
10-16-2005, 01:43 AM
Jsut a heads up, I brought this issue up a month ago to my dealership about my gas pedal getting stuck under the carpet and last week Ford gave them the ok to replace my carpet. I got my carpet installed and the pedal doesn't stick anymore. The carpet actually goes up higher and looks like the made it longer up under the dash.

You all should contact your dealerships again about it.

Oh and a side note, the service manager had to ride Ford about it to get the approval, I think that's why it took so long.