PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable clutch cable, etc....

KCCobra03
09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey can anyone give me a heads up on installing my new quadrant, cable and adjustable clutch stuff. I have never dealt with so just wanted to know of any tricks. Looks simple. Also what type of aftermarket clutches are you running that is streetable. I have about 450RWHP and the OEM clutch isn't liking it. I am looking at Ram or Spec2,3. What your opinion?

blk04cobra1
09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
I have the Ram HD, it chatters a little, but not so much to be annoyed with...the Spec 3 Ive heard good things out of as well the Centerforce DFX...:thumbsup:

Big Daddy
09-15-2005, 01:33 PM
I have the Ram HD, it chatters a little, but not so much to be annoyed with...the Spec 3 Ive heard good things out of as well the Centerforce DFX...:thumbsup:

Well I ran a Spec stage 3 clutch and with no drag racing and normal daily driving it didn't last 20,000 miles on my car. Unless Spec has made some major changes in their clutches in the last year I wouldn't hit a dead dog in it's butt with one! JMHO!!

kilroy
09-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Last I read, the CF DFX will also necessitate a change to 26 splined input shaft. (~+$270ish)

smashedheadcat
09-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Do not go with an aftermarket clutch cable. Keep the factory one and go with a firewall adjuster and a new quadrant. The aftermarket cables are junk.

As for a clutch, with 450rwhp a centerforce dual friction would hold up easily to that. Once you knock on the 600rwhp range, a centerforce DFX clutch or Mcleod street twin clutch would be your best bet. Centerforce released a 10spline version of the DFX disk recently, so you will not have to change the input shaft. But, they recommend the 26 spline version as it will support more power.

InfamousSVT
09-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Do not go with an aftermarket clutch cable. Keep the factory one and go with a firewall adjuster and a new quadrant. The aftermarket cables are junk.

As for a clutch, with 450rwhp a centerforce dual friction would hold up easily to that. Once you knock on the 600rwhp range, a centerforce DFX clutch or Mcleod street twin clutch would be your best bet. Centerforce released a 10spline version of the DFX disk recently, so you will not have to change the input shaft. But, they recommend the 26 spline version as it will support more power.
Everything he just said! :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
09-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Ive got a Steeda Cable and quadrant now, it got rid of some chatter and helped a little on the shifts (will install the firewall adjuster soon too) :thumbsup:

Linn@Amazon
09-16-2005, 10:21 PM
we use the Fiore adjuster and quadrant with the stock cable when we do installs at the shop..top quality products..this is a must do with these cars...

smashedheadcat
09-17-2005, 10:55 AM
we use the Fiore adjuster and quadrant with the stock cable when we do installs at the shop..top quality products..this is a must do with these cars...

I helped install one on my old room-mate's 2003 cobra. That is very nice setup. I like how the firewall adjuster works with no set screw. It makes adjustment a snap and no tools required.

NewFoundPower
09-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Well I ran a Spec stage 3 clutch and with no drag racing and normal daily driving it didn't last 20,000 miles on my car. Unless Spec has made some major changes in their clutches in the last year I wouldn't hit a dead dog in it's butt with one! JMHO!!
I have seen your daily driving, drag racing would be eaiser on your car :rotf: .

-D

RR03Cobra
09-19-2005, 09:12 PM
It was a breeze to install these parts! I had never done one before installing mine. I bought the whole kit from UPR. I think it took me about an hour to take the stock stuff off and replace it. I agree about not replacing the stock cable. I had trouble with the first cable that I installed, it finally broke in about 6 months. UPR did replace it free of charge!! I have not had any trouble with the new cable. :thumbsup: You can do ittttt

KCCobra03
09-20-2005, 01:51 AM
How does the firewall adjuster work? Any instruction any where on the net? Does the firewall adjuster connect to the end of the cable at the firewall? Mine has a little loop that matches the adjusters little. Should they match? Any ideas on the getting the quadrant out easily? I'm a bigger guy and have crawled under there and it wasn't comfortable. Take the seat out?