PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Brake Pads

Paratrooper82d
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
I have been thinking about going with the Hawk Brake Pads. Are the ceramic one's better? Also, where can I purchase them from? Thanks.

sssvtcobra
09-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Paratrooper,

I use the Hawk HPS pads on all four corners and I love 'em. There's definately an improvement over stock. I have used the stock replacement's and a set from autozone, the most expensive top of the line model and I don't think they perform as well as the Hawks do.

Just my opinion.
Jeff

Paratrooper82d
09-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Jeff,

How is the brake dust on yours?

WVSNS&
09-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I have the hawk pads and think they aregreat! Not as much dust as some of the others.

John

InfamousSVT
09-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Richard, I've also heard good things about the Hawk pads!

Or if you just want great stopping power and are willing to tolerate the brake dust....................here: http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide-pads-ford.htm

Plus, SCMC vendor:D :D

sssvtcobra
09-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Paratrooper,

I don't have hardly any brake dust. Plus I wash my car once a week and don't drive it that much. So there is not alot of time for it to build up. But for what its worth I put autozone pads on my wifes honda and she gets more brake dust than I do.

beerkat
09-16-2005, 09:57 AM
If you are trying to pick a pad based on the amount of dust then you want a ceramic pad. Get a good quality one like NAPA they work as well as a stock pad for normal driving. If you do any type of "On Track" events then you want a carbon fibre type pad like Carbotec's. The more the braking power the more dust you will get.

I put the ceramic from NAPA on the front of my wife's BMW X5 and there is almost no dust and work as well as the stock that came on it. She would tell if she thought that they did not work as well.

nelsontc
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
My stock 03 cobra rear brake pads create to worst brake dust on. The 10 year anniversary wheels are hard to clean. Will the Hawks olve the brake dust problem on the rear and offer the same performance?

sssvtcobra
10-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Nelsontc-

I have the Hawk HPS pads, with slotted and cross drilled rotors both front and rear and I rarely see any brake dust. Although I don't drive my car that often and I wash it once a week. But when I do drive my car I drive it like it should be driven :D so I do use the brakes pretty hard. I also think there was a definate improvement on braking after putting these on.

Just my 0.02

ausie
10-18-2005, 07:03 AM
I have yet to need replacement pads for the 04 which is good since I expected the same wear as it was for the 01. However, what is disappointing is the rotors. Every time it rains or when I wash the car I get flash rust on the rotors. Thanks for the tip on the Hawk pads. Anybody have thoughts on rotors? Just wondering it the zink washed rotors would reduce the rusting.

sssvtcobra
10-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Ausie,

I have zinc washed rotors on my car, and I don't have any rust on them. When I do wash the car I do get flash rust on the pad surface but as soon as the pads hit the rotor it's gone. But everywhere else has been zinc washed. I mainly wanted them zinc washed for the rust where the disc's slip over the hubs. I hate having all the rust there. I bought new cross drilled and slotted rotors and then took them to a local shop here in town and they zinc plated them for me. I think it cost me $65.