PDA

View Full Version : Looking for simple, cheaper way to get more exhaust sound

kurtfriedrich
09-16-2005, 02:53 AM
In the good old days of 57 chevys and T-birds (sorry to say I was there!) folks would just swap out the muffler with a "glass pack" and get some serious sound. I don't really want to sound like a truck with no muffler, but the stock pipes are just too quiet. Has anyone just swapped out the stock mufflers and put on some Flowmaster Super 40s or some such and left all the rest of the pipes/cat etc in place? I assume the stock mufflers are welded to the pipes, and would have to be cut away?

Will this screw up my mixture/power or will the ECU take care of it?

thanks
Kurt

sssvtcobra
09-16-2005, 03:57 AM
You can just swap out the mufflers if you want with no problems. But I suggest that you do a full catback setup. That way you increase flow and release some backpressure. The stock pipes are either 2.25" or 2.5" can't remember right off hand. Also they are not mandrel bent. Where as the catbacks are mandrel bent so you don't have the wrinkles in the bends. If you like the glass pack sound I suggest something like the SLP loudmouth 1 or 2, Magnaflow w/the magna packs, or the borla stinger setup.

You can also swap out the catback and not have any problems with the ecu or anything.

Hope this helps.

InfamousSVT
09-16-2005, 04:26 AM
Agree with the above statement.

I had the Flowmaster Super 40's welded into mine and the sound was a little bit louder than stock, but it really didn't do it for me, so I went with a full exhuast system.

The SLP Loudmouths I are going to be the best bet for a loud throaty sound and then the Loundmouth II's. There cat-backs are really that expensive and they are all mandrel bent stainless steel.

Good luck which ever way you decide :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
09-16-2005, 10:05 AM
I'd have to second the SLP's...they are loudest out there for a relatively low price ($499)...the best sounding IMO are the Bassani's ($749)...

NC03BlkSnake
09-16-2005, 11:00 AM
The cheapest route would probably be to weld in some single chamber flows. I have the MAC Catback on mine and I love the sound. Price was relatively cheap compared to the other options out there too. Some people put a stigma on MAC products, I have never had a problem with them. If you're looking for the old Muscle car era sound, the single chamber flows are probably the closest thing you'll find. These modular motors just don't have the loping that the older cammed cars had.

Greg

NewFoundPower
09-16-2005, 11:32 AM
I really like my set-up. The bassani cat-back made a WORLD of difference.

-D

99CobraCrazy
09-17-2005, 12:41 AM
I really like my set-up. The bassani cat-back made a WORLD of difference.

-D
I agree, in the beginning I put a couple of flows on "ella" and it did sound better than stock. When I decided to start trying to milk some of the untapped power from her I decided to go with a full cat-back Bassani system; sound is AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

beerkat
09-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Has anyone just swapped out the stock mufflers and put on some Flowmaster Super 40s or

Too Bad that you are on the other coast from me. I have a set of '03 pipes with the flowmasters on them that I would like to git rid of. I put the Borla cat-back on.

kurtfriedrich
09-18-2005, 01:41 AM
Too Bad that you are on the other coast from me. I have a set of '03 pipes with the flowmasters on them that I would like to git rid of. I put the Borla cat-back on.
So which flowmasters did you put on, they make 3 flavors in the 40 series alone (Standard, Super, and Delta)? Do you think they hurt, helped or no change on the car's performance? Were they too loud such that you had to avoid cops carefully? Are they welded on to the pipes or just hose clamps?

thanks
Kurt

beerkat
09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Kurt I bought the pipes with the flowmaster welded in place. I do not know what series they. They only said flowmaster on them. I have attached a picture of them. They gave the car more throat, but not to loud. I did get a drone sound at 2000 rpm. I did not notice ant real gains in power.

DukeNukem
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
SLP Loudmouth cat-back best money I have spent on my 03 Cobra, the sound is awesome!!!!!!:thumbsup:

ausie
09-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I can agree that the stock exhaust is too quiet. I have the SLP kit that you cannot buy anymore since they went modular with it. Just for smiles and grins, I was considering putting on the old stock 01 cat-back I still have in my basement. Heck, it is in better shape than the stock 04 set up since the 04 was all rusty and only had 200 miles on it before I took it off. As for the SLP, it is not all that bad but will cost about $500 clams. Yep, the stock pipes are 2.25 inches but at the bends it is more like 2.0 or 1.9 since they are not mandrel bent like most aftermarket exhausts. The SLP kit uses 2.5 inch. There are others out there that may be 3.0 inch. Also the guage of steel used may be heavier than the factory for longer life as well as higher grade of stainless steel that will not corrode as quickly as the stock components.