PDA

View Full Version : Rita... not looking too good for us!!!

jimmysidecarr
09-20-2005, 04:07 PM
In 7 hours she goes from a tropical storm to a catagory 2!!! :eek:

I think the car show may get rescheduled...EDIT.. DUH!!!

I think I feel a road trip coming on!!!

I understand Dallas and Austin have some nice hotels...lol I may find out!!!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3%2Bshtml/144728.shtml?5day?large

Firme
09-20-2005, 05:02 PM
The car show is next weekend though Jimmy :doubt:

Codes
09-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Yea, Dallas does have some nice hotels. But good luck getting one, as far as I can tell everything from here to Dallas is booked solid from Thur to Sunday. Havent checked Austin yet. If you guys find anything please post up.

jimmysidecarr
09-20-2005, 06:04 PM
The car show is next weekend though Jimmy :doubt:

DUH!!! :shtowned: :doh2:

bobbys97r
09-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Im jetting out to seattle

97whitevert
09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
ok you guys.. don't be heroes and 'wait it out' GET OUT, i heard that it is projected to become a 3 or 4 when it hits!!! :eek:

Codes
09-20-2005, 07:03 PM
ok you guys.. don't be heroes and 'wait it out' GET OUT, i heard that it is projected to become a 3 or 4 when it hits!!! :eek:
Thank you very much, I hate when you see these people at the beginning when they are all gung-ho "WOOO WE IS HAVING US A HURRICAN PARTY!!" and waiting it out and then after they are the ones that on top of losing everything have family members die because they didnt get out and then they start searching for pity. Sorry for the rant.

Butcher
09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Thank you very much, I hate when you see these people at the beginning when they are all gung-ho "WOOO WE IS HAVING US A HURRICAN PARTY!!" and waiting it out and then after they are the ones that on top of losing everything have family members die because they didnt get out and then they start searching for pity. Sorry for the rant.
But...but....but we ARE having a hurricane party..ummm..at my lakehouse hidden behind the tall pines and rolling hills of east texas. If anyone needs a couch or floor or bed to hunker down in, sincerely call. I have room for hell at least 20 or so, and if your legs are shaved, hell, I can probably get another 50 in on top of that. :rolleyes:

Jimmie

jimmysidecarr
09-20-2005, 09:36 PM
But...but....but we ARE having a hurricane party..ummm..at my lakehouse hidden behind the tall pines and rolling hills of east texas. If anyone needs a couch or floor or bed to hunker down in, sincerely call. I have room for hell at least 20 or so, and if your legs are shaved, hell, I can probably get another 50 in on top of that. :rolleyes:

Jimmie

Jimmie
You freaking crack me up!!!
I have no doubt you are doing just that!!!
But if this BIOTCH RITA decides to swerve up there ...... do take care!!!!

And make sure you have plenty of two stroke chain saw mix for those TALL PINES!!!
I have 10 in my little 3/4 acre yard... I just hope they all stay put!!!

The Walmart next to work ran out of water at lunch time today :eek:

I guess I'll just stock up on Shiner!!!...lol .....and my own filtered water... while it's still pumping....gotta love that Tupperware!!

If I do bugger off it will be away from Rita.... and where ever she is heading!!!

I don't need any pine trees falling on my mobile adrenalin generator... :p

Keep it real bud!!! and keep one eye propped open... in case she swerves.

Bartman01
09-21-2005, 12:46 AM
The Walmart next to work ran out of water at lunch time today :eek:

Friendly tip:
Don't buy water. Buy colapsable water containers (I know they make 5 gallon ones) then fill them up if needed.
If you are staying, also fill up something with water for flushing toilets in case you lose water pressure. If you plan on filling your tub, leak test it. Most tub/sink stoppers dont really hold water - they let it slowly (or quickly) leak out.
Also think about how you are going to cook your food with no power.
Stockpile the ice from your icemaker in the freezer so you can keep your perishable food in coolers.
Use this as an opportunity to make a list of things you need in a 'hurricane kit'. Then check/repleninsh that kit every year at the beginning of hurricane season. Living in Houston, you will evenutally need it - if not for a hurricane, then for one of our normal big storms.

jimmysidecarr
09-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Friendly tip:
Don't buy water. Buy colapsable water containers (I know they make 5 gallon ones) then fill them up if needed.
If you are staying, also fill up something with water for flushing toilets in case you lose water pressure. If you plan on filling your tub, leak test it. Most tub/sink stoppers dont really hold water - they let it slowly (or quickly) leak out.
Also think about how you are going to cook your food with no power.
Stockpile the ice from your icemaker in the freezer so you can keep your perishable food in coolers.
Use this as an opportunity to make a list of things you need in a 'hurricane kit'. Then check/repleninsh that kit every year at the beginning of hurricane season. Living in Houston, you will evenutally need it - if not for a hurricane, then for one of our normal big storms.

Excellent advise!!!
I have already started filling tupperware and rubbermaid screw top containers with my own filtered water :thumbsup:

If power fails... I'm out!!!
Load up the canned food, rammen noodles, water, dog food, DOGS, Guns, ammo, two ways, bedding, medicine, gas cans, camera, clothes.... and what ever else I don't want a pine tree to fall on or I think I might need with me!

I may not need to do any of this CRAP!!!

And I may have to do all of it!!!

97CasperCobra
09-21-2005, 01:40 AM
bought a case of 20-20oz water tonight, some canned food, frozen chicken and have some other stuff since I went grocery shopping yesterday. I'm filling up my gas containers with gas tomorrow and getting some gas/oil mix for the chainsaw just in case.

If anything the gas will still be on(hopefully) so I can cook on the grill and stove. Gonna fill up coolers with water and other "tubberware". Good thing we have a deep freezer so I can throw frozen stuff in there to "preserve" :thumbsup:

Admiral
09-21-2005, 07:11 AM
CAT 3 already, this Rita might get ugly fast...............

Admiral
09-21-2005, 08:25 AM
CAT 3 already, this Rita might get ugly fast...............

CAT 4 now, man this thing is getting ugly fast...................

svtmc-g
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey there! Just wanted to drop you fellow texans(i lived in Spring...spent enough time there(4 yrs) and loved it...ok so I'm not a true blood texan...I love Texas)ANYWAY....I hope hope you all that stay make it through ok. I'll keep the 'ol finger's crossed and say a prayer. My father in law still lives in Spring(Trailing Vine, off of Aldine Westfield)He may be fleeing Spring and coming up here!! I hope you all are OK!!! Rita got REAL ugly REAL quick!!Matt

P.S....Someone just had to say.."Shiner"...I miss that stuff....and Blue Bell too!!!!....mmmmm...Beer and Ice Cream

03 cobra toy
09-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Run for the hills :bounce:

AustinSVT
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
hope it rains like a mofo this weekend up here in CenTex, my waterbill and grass need the relief :cool:

Josh968
09-21-2005, 01:47 PM

What hills?

jimmysidecarr
09-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Good luck!!!
As of right now I-45 north is a freaking parking lot... barely moving!!! :eek:

Jesse99
09-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey guys.. Well it's been a while since I been on.. Anyway, If ya'll need a place to stay.. My house is open to everyone.. As long as ya don't mind sleeping on the floor.. Bring your sleeping bags or air mattress.. Trust me you won't be bored.. Just bought a house this year and I have a game room and theater room.. Let me know something.. Edmond, Larry, Rachel, Carl, (Wow this is going to be a long list..) Just let me say Everyone :D :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
09-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey guys.. Well it's been a while since I been on.. Anyway, If ya'll need a place to stay.. My house is open to everyone.. As long as ya don't mind sleeping on the floor.. Bring your sleeping bags or air mattress.. Trust me you won't be bored.. Just bought a house this year and I have a game room and theater room.. Let me know something.. Edmond, Larry, Rachel, Carl, (Wow this is going to be a long list..) Just let me say Everyone :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer, we have not decided what we are going to do, wife and friends are batting down the hatches at the bay house right now. We may go to our ranch which is North of H-town and ride it out there. Say a prayer for us, this thing is a monster and isgrowing bigger by the minut :(

Admiral
09-21-2005, 04:36 PM
CAT 4 now, man this thing is getting ugly fast...................

CAT 5 now, time to get seriously ready folks......................

johnbasf
09-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Good luck to all of you. Be safe and get out of harms way....

93KingCobra
09-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I know I am heading out of hear...packing up the Cobra on the trailer and going to my dads house...Everyone stay safe.....

Butcher
09-21-2005, 05:42 PM
In 7 hours she goes from a tropical storm to a catagory 2!!! :eek:

I think the car show may get rescheduled...EDIT.. DUH!!!

I think I feel a road trip coming on!!!

I understand Dallas and Austin have some nice hotels...lol I may find out!!!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3%2Bshtml/144728.shtml?5day?large Anyone needing somewhere to stay, CALL ME. I'm in Beaumont, and I'm riding the storm out with my pitbulls. However Karon is heading up to the lakehouse. This is going to end up being a serious asskicker of a situation, and it's definitely not going to be healthy in the Houston area.

I'm serious people. Grab your valuables, and head for the hills.
My telephone numbers are 409.898.1344 at home, and 409.658.1940 on my main cell. Anyone needing somewhere safe to stay dont think twice about it, just call.

Jimmie

Bartman01
09-21-2005, 07:33 PM
More tips: Fill some large containers (milk carton, oj carton, etc) with water and put in your freezer tonight. Then if the power goes out, put them in the fridge (or large cooler) and you have an old fashioned ice box.

If you fill the tub, use vasoline to help seal the stopper - or use some heavy plastic/vinal backed with vasoline to cover the drain and put some weight on it.

If you put plywood on your windows SCREW it down, don't nail it. The wind can get under it and pull it off if it is just nailed down.

If you don't cover your windows, and they aren't tempered, tape them up in a X or * pattern to control broken glass shards flying around.

msmap
09-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Signing off, all. Cobras are bedded down and buried under cover and stuff in the garage. Taking the truck, makes much better sense at this time. Leaving Amanda behind as she will be at Ben Taub for awhile :) Stay safe everyone, wouldn't help to say a prayer, either :)

99CobraCrazy
09-21-2005, 08:30 PM
We've decided to load up the cobra on the 'lo-boy' and pull it behind the F-150 and my wife is following in our Explorer. Been needing a 4 day weekend. Everyone stay safe! We're OUT!

cobrabitn
09-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Man...I am so praying for you guys and gals. I hope that thing dies down before it comes a shore. Keeping my fingers crossed you all won't get a direct hit! :(

Oh and if you haven't gotten out by now....please leave ASAP! :(

JBoden
09-21-2005, 10:51 PM
House is boarded up - Cobras put to bed, water jugs are filled, generator is standing by

dogs already sense the barometric pressure drop

Hang on folks - this is going to be a wild weekend :eek:

fordcobraman
09-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Wish I could have left...no place to go....riding this out in sugarland with the family....good luck to everyone....I hope everyone and your family makes it out ok...along with your rides....May God watch over all of us....Hope to be back on come Sunday...Monday....hell...whenever.....yall be safe...I'm out!

cobrapace94
09-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Well I'm getting everything ready. The wifey is being flown to Bartlsville OK for work in the AM, Conoco Phillips has to keep trading oil & gas so they are sending traders & some IT people there. Right now, I'm planning on staying & watching the storm since I'm on the north east side of Houston. If it turns north, then I'll pack the car with things & 3 dogs & head to my parents in Trinity then possible to meet the wifey in OK.
It's crazy out on the streets now.. A 1 hour drive now takes 3-6 hours.
Wish all good luck on what ever you do, stay or get out of Dodge.

Firme
09-22-2005, 12:30 AM
well, unfortunately, working for a bank and being a network admin, I gotta secure servers. :(

Been running Disaster recovery backups all day to send off out of state, our disaster recovery has been invoked, :( and the 18 wheelers are on standby to roll into town on Sunday or Monday, at which time, I will be reunited with my backup tapes to be ready to have a mobile date center ready. Unless the datacenter does not sustain any damage.

Guess I'm gonna have to ride it out in Missouri City/ Sienna. Hope the 500 year flood plain does its job. Tried to get some plywood, but Home Depot was out earlier, and after lunch, Hwy 6 is a Hurricane evacuation route, and was a parking lot, so I couldn't get out of the community.

Good luck all, and stay safe. Get out if you can, and if you are in the surge section A, B, or C, you better be far from your home by now. They are predicting Galveston will be completely under water.

97CasperCobra
09-22-2005, 05:12 AM
After helping pack the Tiki house for 9 hours and then spending 6 hours on the road to get back to the Frank's house I'm pooped. I'm glad I filled up my step-dad's Lexus last night and my Focus this morning....EVERY gas station we saw on the feeder of Beltway 8 was out of gas and every one I saw from 1960 to The Woodlands was out as well.

Good thing about this is classes were cancelled at Sam for the rest of the week....I had a Bio test on Thurs. :D

Mephisto
09-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Unfortunately, I must take care of the four assed monkeys.

We hope we have enough diesel, dry-ice and liquid nitrogen.

My family unit has already made it to Fort Worth, so that it a big load off my mind.

Cobra is tucked away with a full tank. I will most likely end up siphoning into the Jeepy Jeep. Looks like I will get my wish of testing the Jeepy Jeep in high water situations.

Twice Bitten
09-22-2005, 10:27 AM
After helping pack the Tiki house for 9 hours and then spending 6 hours on the road to get back to the Frank's house I'm pooped. I'm glad I filled up my step-dad's Lexus last night and my Focus this morning....EVERY gas station we saw on the feeder of Beltway 8 was out of gas and every one I saw from 1960 to The Woodlands was out as well.

Good thing about this is classes were cancelled at Sam for the rest of the week....I had a Bio test on Thurs. :D

Mike, Thank you for your help. :thumbsup: I hope everyone has good memories of the Tiki House, becuz I do not think there will be anything left ! :( :mad:

svt tam
09-22-2005, 10:34 AM
If anyone wnat's to come up to Lubbock, I got room for ya.

97CasperCobra
09-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Mike, Thank you for your help. :thumbsup: I hope everyone has good memories of the Tiki House, becuz I do not think there will be anything left ! :( :mad:

Don't mention it....after everything ya'll have done for me and all the parties we've had at the house I'm glad I could help.

I hope the best for EVERYONE....hope we can all dig down and make it out of this safely. :thumbsup:

97whitevert
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
please take care all..... stay safe.....

our thoughts and prayers are with you ! :(

jimmysidecarr
09-22-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm staying also, after seeing the roads... even secondary north bound roads are just creeping....
I'm about 80 miles from the coast... I'll just be dodging tree limbs... anything else not nailed down I have stashed away... Cobra is sharing the garage right now...
No point in adding to the traffic snarl... most of them are coming from a far more dangerous location.

I-45N is finally moving better since both North and South lanes are being used to get out... still slow... still cars all over that have over heated or run out of gas but I did see at least 4 stations that were still pumping along Cypresswood between Kuykendahl and east beyond the train tracks(3 hours ago)...

Praying for the best...
Stay safe...

cobrapace94
09-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm staying.. Would rather be at the house instead of on the parking lot, I mean road. Just chilling now, got everything outside taken care of. Cobra is tucked away in the garage & have 2 cars full of gas in case I venture out.
Stay safe.... :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
09-22-2005, 05:17 PM
It's amazing.....people are coming off I-45 into the Woodlands to find alternate routes, but there are NONE. Some are just driving around...and we all know how confusing the Woodlands can be. :(

The Focus is in the garage....the Cobra's still on jackstands unless i get the rear end out, bushings replaced and can put it in the garage...but that's unlikely. Looks like it may get "better" as far as the brunt of the storm but we'll still get a lot of high wind and a TON of rain. See you guys soon. :thumbsup:

Bartman01
09-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Just got back from Oklahoma City this morning, and we are staying. My in-laws might be staying with us too after giving up on trying to get home today. One thing I noticed was that the build sites around here still have piles of wood and trash on them. Can anyone say law suit when that stuff peppers another home?

kencobra
09-22-2005, 11:30 PM
We are in the "C" zone but we are either staying or going over to relatives house not in flood zone. I was going to leave the Cobra up in the parking garage in the medical center ( work ) but decided I would rather try and keep it safe at home. Probably try to put it up on ramps and jack the rear up to put some blocks under the rears, just in case.

God bless and for those that don't believe maybe its time to start now.

Andy M
09-23-2005, 01:22 PM
South Central Folks in Houston area:

Please stay safe where ever you are. We have decided to stay put. We have adequate supplies with a ton of non-perishable food and water, and I have a 5000 watt generator with about 30 or more gallons of gasoline available. So we are ready to ride out the storm and be ready to live for a week or two if need be. I hope it does not come to that, but we are ready.

Please stay safe everyone!! May God bless us all!

raven69david
09-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Well it looks like you all will get out of it pretty unscathed in Houston sans the usual rain and a little wind that comes with a hurricane. I'm glad the hurricane turned north and away from a densely populated area like Houston. Sucks for the people up north though, but at least it's dying down some. Hopefully it will be category 3 when it hits land. That's the best we can hope for.:(