PDA

View Full Version : 13K miles, need new tires, looking at wheels too

nelsontc
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I've hit 13K miles and my Goodyear F1s are bald.

I have two options:

1. Just replace the tires. I'm considering going with the Avon tires for $126 each. I understand that they are excellent for the price as compared to replacing the tires with the stock Goodyear tires
2. I would like to get chrome 2000 Cobra R wheels 18x9.5. Any ideas where I can get the wheels at the best price? I would prefer the OEM Ford wheels. That way I would get both the tires and wheels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

ausie
09-23-2005, 06:45 AM
I would almost recommend Toyo Proxes T1-R's but depending on your driving habits, they will only last one summer (8k to 10k miles) on the rear. I am not sure how long they would last if you were to rotate them since my fronts and rears are not the same size widths. They are far more expensive than the Avon tires (by about $80 - $90 more) but not as costly as the Goodyears or BFG's. Unfortunately you cannot buy Toyos or even Nitto's through tire rack.

blk04cobra1
09-23-2005, 08:57 AM
I would go with the new BFG KDW2's...awesome tread pattern and wear, very good in the dry and rain (wouldnt know about the rain though, car doesnt see it)...Also, as for rims, please stay away from the Y2k's...there are so many other options (FR500's, Saleens, OEM's in 18's, etc)...just depends on how much you wanna spend...good luck :thumbsup:

beerkat
09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Nittos 555 ZR street. and stay away from chome if you want to have your own look.

InfamousSVT
09-24-2005, 01:27 AM
...... and stay away from chome if you want to have your own look.
:D :D :D Black Wheels on the way for me :D :D :D

nelsontc
10-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I ended up buying Nitto 555Rs. Maybe next time I need tires, I'll be able to buy 18 inch wheels. I bought the tires at discounttiredirect.com for $166 each, free shipping. They were shipped out of Ohio. I took my wheels off the car loaded them up and bought them to tire company and had the old tires taken off and the news ones put on and balanced for $20 ea. The other stores wanted $25 each. I took a ride today and I like them. I haven't decided yet if I like them better then the original Goodyears. Them might be. I defintely like the look of the side walls and the side wall is beefy protecting the wheels.

ausie
10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Not a bad deal on the tires.

Just a reminder when looking for wheels, some aftermarket wheels may require special mounting equipment to mount tires to them. If the wheel is flush and has no lip at the edge (basically that is needed for traditional tire mounting machines) you will need to find a shop that has the reverse mount equipment. Not too many shops have this type of equipment. Also, the same wheel cannot get the hammered on weights either. They must be the adhesived backed type that mount onto the inner surface of the wheel.