PDA

View Full Version : Pull Supercharger

KCCobra03
09-23-2005, 07:33 PM
OK, I want to pull my Eaton off and put on a Ported and Polished one. How hard is it? Need to drain the intercooler, etc, any real tricks? It will save me about $400 doing it myself so more $$$ to put towards the re-tuning, new plugs, new belt, new MAF if needed, injectors, etc...... of my car. What do ya think? I have great mechanical skills just not a mechanic. Yes, I do understand stuff have had dirtbikes forever

InfamousSVT
09-24-2005, 01:24 AM
It's not very hard at all. Trevor (other member) and I took my stock blower off the car in about an hour. Yes you need to drain the intercooler fluid.

Be VERY VERY VERY careful when taking the intercooler off the stock supercharger, the bolts holding it on are very small and if you apply too much force to them you will break them (I did it to mine). Make sure you don't bend any of the gaskets and don't over tighten the bolts to the lower intake. It shouldn't take more then 5 hours, but just give yourself plenty of time and pay attention to detail. Becareful for the vacuum lines and fuel rails.

Since you are just swapping out with a Ported Eaton, it'll be much easier sense the vacuum lines and everything can be kept on the harness (driver side of blower) Relieve the pressure on the fuel rails before taking it off.
Make sure you have the intercooler pump (front of lower intake) off and pull the tubes out that are connected to the intercooler. There really isn't any need to take off the lower intake, but some people think it's easier.

Good luck :D

MidLifeC
09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I have been involved with two swaps. Label all the parts and hoses, take plenty of pictures.

The trickiest parts were:
Removing the intercooler(from the SC) - use a torch and heat the side of the intercooler, that will melt the loctite (2 person operation). Use red loctite on reassembly.

Watch the O rings when you re-install the coolant tubes.

Proper torque sequence and amount when reassembling the lower.

Good luck!

ausie
09-25-2005, 09:41 AM
you will need a second set of hands to remove the supercharger assembly and when you re-assemble it. From what I recall after reading about the swap, the assembly is heavy and difficult to remove/install when bent over the engine bay.

kilroy
09-25-2005, 03:21 PM
OK, I want to pull my Eaton off and put on a Ported and Polished one. How hard is it?
Some directions (http://www.stiegemeier.com/blower_removal_instructions.html)

Pay particular attention to step 22. Those bolts are also torque to yield & you may wish to drop by Ford to pickup another set for the re-install. :thumbsup:

KCCobra03
09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
I remember seeing these instructions now but you get so busy and so many websites later I didn't even think of about it. Thanks for the link.

Rick@Amazon
09-27-2005, 08:47 PM
With those intercooler bolts I like a little heat then give them a tap. I also use only a 1/4 drive ratchet (less torque). First turn it a hair tight then loosen them. Replace them with new bolts and remember to use loctite (red). As Kilroy said replace all TTY bolts with new ones from ford. Very cheap insurance.

As far as the intercooler I clamp of the coolent lines going into the intercooler manifold neck. This way you don't have to drain the system and it will be easier because you don't have to prime the pump and bleed out all the air pockets.

Good Luck

Rick