PDA

View Full Version : Warranty-Schmarranty

ProfChaos
09-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Today, I was kicking tires on an '03 pewter/gray Cobra with 38K miles, and the salesperson actually made the claim that the warranty on the car was void because the previous owner had added a cold air intake. He also made the claim that the same applies to adding a K&N filtercharger: K&N added = void warranty.

Is this BS, or are they really that anal retentive about performance modifications on supercharged Cobras under warranty?

Thanks for your help.
--Professor Chaos

Big T
09-23-2005, 10:10 PM
sounds like B.S. to me. As far as I know, If something goes wrong with a car it would have to be proven that the mod that was added caused the malfunction or failure. Things like exhaust and cai shouldn't cause a problem. Something like a pulley swap and a chip would be a harder case to defend. The salesman may just be full of it or just misinformed.

wvmystichrome
09-23-2005, 10:54 PM
The only 2 SVT dealers in this part of WV told me the exact same thing also. They said that changing the air filter to anything other than Motorcraft voided the warranty. Any parts changed on the car had to be Motorcraft. I think it is BS but you can't argue them they hold all the cards. Hope this helps as I had the same question and researched it myself.

jack
09-23-2005, 10:59 PM
IMO The dealer in this case i would not deal with. If they are going to be that hard to deal with move on or find another dealer in your area to deal with on the warranty. If they are that hard, think if you had a motor go down???

RF Cobra
09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Ford does not want reusable filters used that require oiling like the K&N and thus they have the ability to void the warranty for using them so that is probably where he is getting that from. This is due to warranty claims from people that apparently thought the filter had to be bathed in the oil to the point that it caused damage to other parts from the oil being sucked through the intake system. It all depends on how strict the dealership wants to be in following Ford's warranty rules.

However, it is already out of warranty anyway since the warranty is 3 years or 36k miles.

Today, I was kicking tires on an '03 pewter/gray Cobra with 38K miles, and the salesperson actually made the claim that the warranty on the car was void because the previous owner had added a cold air intake. He also made the claim that the same applies to adding a K&N filtercharger: K&N added = void warranty.

Is this BS, or are they really that anal retentive about performance modifications on supercharged Cobras under warranty?

Thanks for your help.
--Professor Chaos

bbrence
09-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Car salesmen are generally clueless......about everything....including the cars they are selling. [they're turnover rate is astronomical] Talk to the Service Manager before you abandon this dealer.

As someone else has already said, the car is out of warranty anyway....3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first.

Most Ford dealers will not void the warranty for a cold air kit, and certainly not for non-Motorcraft parts. If they did, you could very likely get it overidden with a phone call the a Ford zone office.

ProfChaos
09-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Ford does not want reusable filters used that require oiling like the K&N and thus they have the ability to void the warranty for using them so that is probably where he is getting that from. This is due to warranty claims from people that apparently thought the filter had to be bathed in the oil to the point that it caused damage to other parts from the oil being sucked through the intake system. It all depends on how strict the dealership wants to be in following Ford's warranty rules.

However, it is already out of warranty anyway since the warranty is 3 years or 36k miles.

That's a very good point--thanks---and was probably why the salesperson had such a cavalier attitude in describing the situation. He also mentioned specifically that the previous owner had earlier voided the warranty by adding .411 gearing and that the dealership was currently replacing the rear-end (with OEM, obviously)--that it was "horked" and needed replacing. For my purposes, stock gearing works better anyway, but, since I'm about to be blessed at a level I'd never have predicted, I'll soon be able to afford an '07 Shelby...And, should I go through with getting the Shelby (quite likely if I can get one at MSRP), I will--as soon as possible--install a K&N and have Grand Muffler of Smyrna, GA install a Mo-Fo of an exhaust system: She'll need to breathe; she'll need to shout from the mountain tops, and she will scare children and small furry creatures. :D

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

MidLifeC
09-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Put that salesman to work - tell him you want a Cobra with an automatic.

ProfChaos
09-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Put that salesman to work--tell him you want a Cobra with an automatic.

That's a good one, MidLifeC. :rotf:

And, I could also request that he throw-in a "board-stretcher." ;)

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

blk04cobra1
09-24-2005, 10:51 PM
these cars came with a warranty?????? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

RF Cobra
09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Put that salesman to work - tell him you want a Cobra with an automatic.:rotf:

Or you can print out one of the many ads on Blue Oval's website that claims they will get you the "best" price on a 2005 SVT Cobra and ask the salesman to find you one of those.

If I did not have the '04 I'd probably be interested in the '07. I'm happy with what I have and don't want to spend the money. My son on the other hand wants me to buy one so he can have the '04 (he's only 5-1/2).

Cobra4me
09-25-2005, 12:36 AM
:rotf:

Or you can print out one of the many ads on Blue Oval's website that claims they will get you the "best" price on a 2005 SVT Cobra and ask the salesman to find you one of those.

If I did not have the '04 I'd probably be interested in the '07. I'm happy with what I have and don't want to spend the money. My son on the other hand wants me to buy one so he can have the '04 (he's only 5-1/2). Smart kid you got there, setting up his ride for the future;)

wvmystichrome
09-25-2005, 01:23 AM
:rotf:

If I did not have the '04 I'd probably be interested in the '07. I'm happy with what I have and don't want to spend the money. My son on the other hand wants me to buy one so he can have the '04 (he's only 5-1/2).

My daughter just turned 4 in June and our 04 Cobra is hers. She asked her mother where I was going to ride when she started driving. Mom said in the back seat. She said where you riding. Mom said in the trunk where I can't watch. You just got to love the young ones that are already hooked on the good stuff.

ausie
09-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Most of it is BS. They may even claim that the oil is not motorcraft and that voids the warranty as well. so the car no longer has the basic warranty due to the milage. It was the sales person's fault for trying to steer you away from it by making that statement. However, if the car has been modified to the point it required a tune and if it was not tuned properly I would be concerned.

The last time I was at the drag strip, a ricer blew up because the person just added a larger turbo to it without getting it tuned, wound up blowing the motor at the end of the track on their second run. A lesson learned does not mean it was a good result in the end. :rotf:

ProfChaos
09-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Most of it is BS. They may even claim that the oil is not motorcraft and that voids the warranty as well. so the car no longer has the basic warranty due to the milage. It was the sales person's fault for trying to steer you away from it by making that statement. However, if the car has been modified to the point it required a tune and if it was not tuned properly I would be concerned.

Yesterday, I returned to the dealership to look at the '03 in question. (I love the pewter-over-gray-leather combination--Tampa Bay Bucaneers fan.) :)

I wanted to see what was under the hood--primarily to see if the car has strut-tower braces--, but also to see if there is indeed cold air injection, as the salesperson had stated earlier. As it turns out, the car apparently has nothing aftermarket under the hood and there are no strut-tower braces and no cold air injection, but it does have something that rules it out as a worthy vehicle, as far as I'm concerned: The hood latch is either bent or loose and won't latch consistently. As we finished looking under the hood, it took the salesperson three attempts and a little nudge to get the hood to latch properly. I suspect that--in addition to having a horked rear-end--the the car was wrecked and then traded-in. For me, this scenario makes sense of why the salesperson shoveled all of this irrelevant warranty BS in my direction: his shoveling all the warranty BS is likely just a "red herring", a distraction to get my mind off of the real issue: the worthiness of the car. According to the salesperson, the previous owner of the car is a law enforcement officer, and he reputedly traded-in the '03 pewter-over-gray Cobra for an '04 Cobra of a different color scheme. I suspect that there are a few key points, however, that the salesperson omitted from the alleged scenario: I suspect that the real story actually goes more like this: "The previous owner wrecked the car, had it repaired, then traded it in for the '04 Cobra of a different color scheme."

I'm not going to chance this one. I love the pewter-over-gray-leather and the '03-'04 supercharged Cobras, but I'm blessed enough to be able to afford an '07 Shelby, if I want one. Thus, I choose to not even take a chance that this '03 Cobra might have been wrecked-then-dumped-off by someone who did her wrong. Why else would he trade-in an '03 for an '04? Would an intelligent person take a bath on what is basically the same car merely to get another color scheme? I think not: A tricked-out custom paint job would cost less than the bath this guy took by trading-in an '03 for an '04 Cobra. Unless he was a fool--and most law enforcement officers are not fools--, he did not trade-in the car merely to get a differently-dressed, slightly-newer-but-otherwise-identical car.

I'm not even going to run a Carfax report on this one. (Carfax reports don't protect against the car having been wrecked then repaired without a police incident report or an insurance claim.)

The last time I was at the drag strip, a ricer blew up because the person just added a larger turbo to it without getting it tuned, wound up blowing the motor at the end of the track on their second run. A lesson learned does not mean it was a good result in the end. :rotf:

Forged aftermarket pistons were invented for a very good reason, I assert. :D

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

RF Cobra
09-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you made the right decision. They only time I have ever sold and bought another one just like it but a year newer was for the reason you mentioned. The 94 Tbird we had got hit by some (apparently drunk) moron from Ohio in a Dodge Ram on I-77 within 2 months of buying it. He never stopped and we watched as he nearly ran over a half dozen others off the road while making his get away. He caught the front wheel with his rear bumper and it sliced through the front fender. We had the Ford dealership do all the repairs. It was fine at first but then that wheel started locking up for no reason when you put on the brakes. They couldn't find a cause or fix it so we ended up replacing it with a 95 that had more options but it was the same color.

Anyone that has met our son at any of the club events we've gone to will tell you he is an 100% SVT Cobra fan. One of his favorite things to do is to watch the boost gauge and tell me "Go faster so I can hear the supercharger Daddy!" He also thinks we should have a Cobra vert too for cruising in the mountains. So much for retiring some day. ;) :rotf: