PDA

View Full Version : accelerator (throttle) pedal assembly?

ausie
09-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Does anybody know of a good source for replacing the stamped steel throttle pedal assembly (throttle arm). I have seen some billet one's made for chevey but cannot find something for Mustangs. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Eric.

ausie
09-29-2005, 07:01 AM
So far the only thing I have found was made by Lokar. Not quite a direct replacement. It would not be too hard to fabricate a mounting plate to align with the pre existing bolts. This might be easier than I thought. :cool:

InfamousSVT
09-29-2005, 09:52 PM
What's wrong with your stock pedal?

casey99COBRA
09-29-2005, 11:58 PM
What's wrong with your stock pedal?
I believe he hammered it into the floor and bent it LOL.

ausie
09-30-2005, 06:14 AM
I put a kink in the pedal arm the last time I was at the track when it got tucked in under the carpet and trying to get it unstuck before running out of room on the exit under no power. I had inspected the assembly the day after. While it is connected it will bend to the right when you floor it. Also the arm became loose on the hing pin and would slide left or right which may cause binding. Eventually the kink in the arm above the pedal pad will cause the arm to crack.
It is probably okay for just driving (I did repair some of the slop in it). I know they designed it for the required force of the throttle cable which has essentially a feather weight requirement. I need something that will not bend when you push down on it and warp up against the rubber boot around the steering column. The factory 24 guage stamped steel arm should have been heat treated or designed better. Lokar does make throttle arm assemblies but will not fit directly into the factory studs. Making a plate will be a piece of cake that it will mount to.
http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/products/throttle_assemblies/images/csteelstndgr.jpg

The stainless steel model can be easily modified if needed where as the aluminum type may break if an angle is needed. Perhaps this is overkill but I want something that will not fail and stick to the floor or have to be re-bent back into its original form every few miles. I do know the Lokar assembly will require a new throttle cable which they have (I do recall seeing a cable assembly for mustangs from them on another site).

dewone
09-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Those look sharp. Photo the final install for us.

ausie
10-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I did some pricing for the assembly, $66.00 (jeggs) for the throttle assembly (I believe that also includes a brake pad and a small thing for the foot brake). I also found pricing for the OEM pedal assembly $69.00.

I will not only take pictures, I will sketch the dimensions of the plate I need to fabricate to include the mounting hole locations for the throttle assembly. Hopefully there will be no need to bend anything. Perhaps I am just looking for an excuse to make a new part for my car, as long as it serves a purpose why not?