PDA

View Full Version : Bassani mid-lengths not avail for a 98?

CobraJay
09-28-2005, 03:06 PM
It's me again,

I was looking at the Bassani website and find out if there were any headers avail for the 98? It only goes up to 97, and then 99-up. What's the deal with that? What's different with the 98 that I don't know about? :dizzy:

:teleport:

smashedheadcat
09-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I believe the only difference in the headers is the EGR stuff. I don't remember exactly what is different about them, but I'll look into it and post it up. As far as headers from a 96-97 working on a 98, they will bolt up. Give me a little bit and I'll figure it out for ya.

CobraJay
09-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks man. From what I can see, there's an EGR tube that wraps around the front of the engine, connected to both headers and up the EGR on the side of the intake man.

I guess there'd have to be some sort of EGR delete method? Program it out?

jsnake
09-28-2005, 07:27 PM
There is a air pump that hooks to the exhaust manifolds. It pumps fresh air into the exhaust for about a minute on start-up. Helps your cats burn the raw fuel when it's cold. If you don't hook that back up, the check engine light will come on. The Ford shorties come with the welded fittings to hook up the tubes. But, the right one is the only one that is welded in the right place. the left header will not hook up to the tube unless you make one. The 98 Cobra is the only one with the air pump. I took mine to get it dynoed and the computer fixed so the code would not come up anymore.

tcrews
09-28-2005, 10:47 PM
No, the '96 and '97 Cobras have the air-pump.....they just route the tubing differently than they did on the '98s. Headers for '96-'97 will work on a '98 you just have to rig the connection for your air-pump as it won't line up with the stock tubing.

jsnake
09-30-2005, 08:11 AM
I was told by Ford that you could not buy the tubing from any other year model to connect the air pump on a 98 to the headers that are supposed fit a 96-97. I bought a bellows type space heater natural gas line. I was going to cut a section out of the air pump tubing and weld a section of the flexible gas line in there. That way you still have the original nut for the fitting on the header and it's flexible enough to move around to hook it up. I didn't modify the tubing because I got a computer tune.

CobraJay
09-30-2005, 12:59 PM
hmmm.... sounds like theres awefully a lot to do to make the air pump/egr stuff to work with other-year headers. Since I live in FL though, wouldn't it just be possible to remove that stuff (and put it on later if I sell the car)? I don't have any emissions testing.

A computer tune would be needed, I'm sure, to disable the air pump/egr/rear o2's.

smashedheadcat
09-30-2005, 10:59 PM
EGR delete kits are $12 from Ford. It comes with the nut that caps the fitting on the header, and also a block off plate to go to the intake. Turning the EGR system off is easy for a tuner.