PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to get a 4.6...

diablostang
09-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey guys,

I'm seriously looking at buying a 96-98 Cobra, but I'm totally unfamiliar with modding a 4.6 Mod motor... I've had 3 5.0's in the past, and currently have a 99 SVT Lightning, 5.4 obviously.. But 4.6 modding is new territory.

What're the normal mods to squeeze extra HP out of the 4.6 Cobras? I read up a little and read there are no aftermarket heads availible for the 4.6 Cobras?

What are normal mods other than the following?
Cams
Pullies
Exhaust

and other than the obvious supercharging or turbocharging, strokers, etc (more expensive things)

I'm used to the Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust etc for a 5.0, so I'm lost here :P

Thanks in advance!

Oh also, in looking for a Cobra to buy, what things should I look for that are wrong in the higher mileage cars? I'd like to buy a Convertible, so anything pertaining to that...

If anybody is looking for a Lightning, mine is for sale, can't buy a Cobra till I sell it. :(

'99 - 415 HP
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/fordboards/LatMormon34.jpg

tcrews
09-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Let's see....I owned an '88 GT (5.0), a '94 Cobra (5.0) and currently own a '97 Cobra (4.6) and a '98 Cobra convertible (4.6). I enjoy the 4.6 so much more than my 5.0s and not only do they make more power, it's made with a very smooth very well designed engine :)

No heads....really don't need any as from the factory they out flow almost every aftermarket head for the 5.0. No intakes...well there are a few but again not really needed. Cams...not really needed but there are tons available now. You can always port/polish the stock heads and intake if you want to make them flow more.

As for bolt ons.....the standard, exhaust, cold-air, underdrive pulleys, timing adjustment/chip, gears are always available and bring the car up to some decent numbers. Remember stock they are going to dyno between 250-265 rwhp.....with the typical above bolt ons you can get 300 and above rwhp.

They are just as easy to mod for the basic stuff (exhaust, cold-air/ram air, pulleys, etc..) and are only slightly more difficult for the biggies (cams, internal engine stuff, etc..) because they have extremely tight tolerances and some times require some slightly specific tools.

As for the more exotic mods (supercharger, turbocharger) well these engins just love boost......an easy 150 rwhp bolt on with a standard Vortech SQ blower.

Hope that helps....

tazzracing1
09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Ford makes a head and intake upgrade they are the only ones I have found. I agree with Tom on the power difference and the motor itself was well designed and built.

diablostang
09-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking about it, and realized that the 5.0, even with the H/C/I would just about hit what the 96 Cobra HP was... So after that, even in a 5.0, I'd have to go to the more exotic mods...

Now I just gotta find the right one, after I sell the L. I decided on a triple black 96-98 vert.. Gotta be that colorscheme :p I wanted a black last time around, but got a green since it had good mods... but I wasn't happy with the green, or a couple other things about the car, so I sold it.

CobraJay
09-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I also went through three 5.0's but I am still amazed at my 98....it's so smooth.... all that power on top, It feels like a rocket... my 5.0's were not really modded much, so they were all runnin out of breath on top. During cruisin, it purs like a kitten (stock exhaust still though ...err).

smashedheadcat
09-30-2005, 10:04 PM
I've got a triple black 97 cobra I can sell ya. Forged engine, '03 cobra front and rear suspension, x2c v.1 race transmission (5-speed), headers, blah blah blah and a vortech (aftercooled) for $17,000 OBO.... It's not in mint shape, but it's a pretty nice car. Goes 11's on nitto drag radials at 121. Goes 11.3' 11.4's on et streets at 124-125. I've got some things I need to do to it before it's up for sale though.

diablostang
09-30-2005, 10:13 PM
That's about 9-10K more than I want to spend, but thanks for the note anyhow. :)

I'd love to be able to afford that though, lotttta power there!!

Stavesacre21
10-01-2005, 04:02 AM
Goes 11's on nitto drag radials at 121. Goes 11.3' 11.4's on et streets at 124-125.
:woooah: :drool:

wow josh....i must say impressive. I knew you'd be runnin quick, but that's REALLY on the ball!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

smashedheadcat
10-02-2005, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=smashedheadcat]Goes 11's on nitto drag radials at 121. Goes 11.3' 11.4's on et streets at 124-125. QUOTE]

:woooah: :drool:

wow josh....i must say impressive. I knew you'd be runnin quick, but that's REALLY on the ball!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you. It's a very fun car to drive at the track. It leaves pretty hard.

Lights of speed
10-12-2005, 11:09 AM
4.6>5.0, 4.6s rule get one! i dont have one but i hope that a mustang 4.6 will be my next buy if not a newer L.