PDA

View Full Version : Help

joebrink1
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I have a 2004 Cobra. I live in Baltimore Maryland. I was planning on taking my car to Amazon Racing to get a custom tune on their Dyno. I put it off too long and now they have moved.

Can anyone recomend a shop in Baltimore with a dyno that understands the SC Cobras?

Joe

InfamousSVT
09-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I believe Horsepower by Herman is somewhere in Maryland

Linn@Amazon
10-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Herman doesnt have a dyno..he uses the street to tune...Joe we can still do a virtual dyno tune for you at a dyno in gaithersburg....call me 864 332 0955

joebrink1
10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
InfamousSVT thanks for the information.

Linn thank you for the reply.

I do have a problem with the car now that I think I need to take care of before I get the custom tune. Just in case there is something major wrong I don't want to void the warranty. I have had the car in the local Ford shop a couple of times for a rough idle. Each time the dealer acknowledges that it is idling rough, but says that the check engine light is not on and there are no error codes stored in the ECU, so there is nothing they can do. As time goes by the idle gets rougher and rougher. It will vary 200 to 300 rpms. When it was new the idle was smooth at about 750 rpms and the tach did not fluctuate. Today when I left work I hit the accelerator pretty hard to merge into traffic and the car lurched and then seemed like it hit a stone wall (traction control was off). I don't know if this problem and the rough idle are related but I would like to get it fixed before I do any mods. I want to get a custom tune, pulley swap and mabey get the TB, Plenum and SC ported.

Anyone have any similar problems with a Cobra that you know of?

Joe

Big T
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
InfamousSVT thanks for the information.

Linn thank you for the reply.

I do have a problem with the car now that I think I need to take care of before I get the custom tune. Just in case there is something major wrong I don't want to void the warranty. I have had the car in the local Ford shop a couple of times for a rough idle. Each time the dealer acknowledges that it is idling rough, but says that the check engine light is not on and there are no error codes stored in the ECU, so there is nothing they can do. As time goes by the idle gets rougher and rougher. It will vary 200 to 300 rpms. When it was new the idle was smooth at about 750 rpms and the tach did not fluctuate. Today when I left work I hit the accelerator pretty hard to merge into traffic and the car lurched and then seemed like it hit a stone wall (traction control was off). I don't know if this problem and the rough idle are related but I would like to get it fixed before I do any mods. I want to get a custom tune, pulley swap and mabey get the TB, Plenum and SC ported.

Anyone have any similar problems with a Cobra that you know of?

Joe

I have heard of several others having this problem. In fact, I've been dealing with it since I got my car. Did your car stall? Eventually it will. Especially when stopping after a hard acceleration or comming into a turn while in neutral (very scary). I won't let my wife drive my car because of this. My idle will sometimes bounce up and down several hundred rpm's. As long as it doesn't drop too low it will not stall. My problem got worse the more mods I did. It happen only a few times before I got the superchips programmer. But got worse after the pulley swap. Supposedly the idle air control valve can be faulty. There is a computer flash that the dealer can do that will fix this along with replacing the iac valve. You may want to go to another dealer for a second opinion. A tuner can also fix it. I'm debating on a kenne bell or getting my eaton ported and then I'm going to get it fixed when I get my car retuned. Just be very careful that it doesn't stall on you going into a turn.

Linn@Amazon
10-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Joe....what CAI do you have?

joebrink1
10-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Linn,

I am still running the stock air box. The only mod I have to date is the Borla Stinger Cat-back exhaust.

Joe

Linn@Amazon
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
make sure everything is a tight fit and nothing is loose or popped apart..unmetered air will cause promblems..

ausie
10-05-2005, 06:34 AM
yikes, I had that feeling of the brick wall with a WOT and that is no fun at all. Cause was too running too lean and a CAI kit which whacked out the MAF. The brick wall was detonation which has happened many times. This was with my 01. At least it had a knock sensor to prevent too much damage.

As for the 04, never had any problems. I have had issues with a rough idle and hard starts previously but found that related to the stock PCV valve. Stalling issues may also be related to the stock PCV valve. Over time of heating and cool down of the plastic valve and snap fit 90 degree elbow will tend to cause it to leak. Replacing the PCV valve may eliminate some of the issues. I changed mine and have not had any start or idle problems since.
I have also had issues with the IAC on the 01 but it will cause a pending code if it is faulty or out of range but that does not mean it is bad. If you do have a vacuum leak it will appear as if the IAC is not functioning properly. That will definately add to rough idle as well as possible stalling between shifts.

Big T
10-05-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm going to check out my pcv valve. That would be nice if my problems were that simple. thanks

ausie
10-06-2005, 06:28 AM
you will definately know it is the PCV if you try to pull it out and only the elbow is removed and the rest of it stays in the valve cover. I used to hear a slight whistle when the motor is just idleing. It would go away if I pushed down on the PCV line or if I rotated the elbow.