PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak question

96MysticSVT
10-04-2005, 09:29 PM
I was changing my oil tonight and noticed a small hole (it looks like a weep hole the size of a ball point pen tip) on the opposite end of the cylindrical area of the engine where the oil filer attaches. There was a drop of oil coming from the hole, does anyone know what the purpose of this hole is? It's so small I never noticed it before.

Here's some background on my car if you need it, it's a 1996 Cobra with a basically 100% stock engine with 76,000 miles on it.

96MysticSVT
10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
After some investigating I found a post on another board about this hole. I'll have to see if the O-ring in my car is bad too. I would have to find this AFTER changing my oil!

Question:
I have a 97 Mustang GT. Over the winter I started the engine and went to engage first gear I lost all of my engine oil in about 5 minutes. Fast forward three months to today when I finally isolated the oil leak. On the oil cooler/filter housing there is what looks to be a factory drilled hole directly on the underside of the housing. The hole is approximately the diameter of a paperclip. That is exactly where my oil is leaking from. Any idea why it's leaking from there, or if there may have been a tiny plug in there before the blowout, and it's just some type of over-pressurization protection? Thanks in advance.Answer:
That paperclip size hole is a weep hole. I had the same problem with my 98GT streaming oil out of that hole a few months ago. I too didn't know what it was. After checking it out, I found the problem. If you take off the oil filter, you will notice the shaft it mounts too has an opening for a hex head tool. Unscrew this oil shaft out and about half to three quarters of the way down you will notice there is an o-ring on it. I found mine to be smushed somehow. I replaced it and walla!! The oil leak is gone.

Firme
10-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for posting your finding Matt :thumbsup:

dewone
10-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Thats good to know in advance in case it happens to you.

wrenchturner
11-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Just had this happent to me in my 01 cobra. Funny enough it was the day after I changed my oil in my shop. (wonder if I overtightened the filter causing it to crush the O ring or if SVT is right. I thought I remembered reading about it on here, but wasn't sure. If you call SVT on it they will tell you after some research on their end. That its the oil cooler being bad. I ordered one anyways (good working in a shop and if the O ring fixes it I will just return the cooler) Sucker isn't cheap at 190 my cost for it...plus the coolant and oil and all...I'll make sure I post here when i figure it all out though. To give a further heads up on it all......

Yellow98Snake
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Did replacing the O ring fix the leak?

I think I may have a similar problem with my 98. I haven't been by the dealership to see how much the O ring costs. Is there another gasket or seal that I should also look at replacing at the same time?

wrenchturner
11-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I tried the O-ring and it just kept on pooring out the hole. So (cough) I ended up changing out the oil cooler...easy enough to do.. and 190 bucks later it was all fixed. Things not cheap.

I think I may have a similar problem with my 98. I haven't been by the dealership to see how much the O ring costs. Is there another gasket or seal that I should also look at replacing at the same time?

kinderlied
12-04-2005, 08:43 PM

I had the same thing happen tonight on my 96 Cobra cpe. I started it up after sitting all night and the oil poured out of the seep hole in the oil cooler. I pulled the shaft out (oil cooler adapter) with a 1/2 inch allen wrench, went to Checker Auto and found some o rings that fit, and put it back in. The big oil leak stopped, but there is still some oil dripping slowly out of the seep hole. The oil cooler adapter shaft was a little tough to push in, and I am hoping the o ring didn't come off the shaft on the process. The o rings were in a pack of 5 or so and were less than 4 bucks. The 1/2 inch allen wrench was about 9 dollars at Sears. Hopefully this will fix it.

SNAKEYE
12-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I had the same thing happen tonight on my 96 Cobra cpe. I started it up after sitting all night and the oil poured out of the seep hole in the oil cooler. I pulled the shaft out (oil cooler adapter) with a 1/2 inch allen wrench, went to Checker Auto and found some o rings that fit, and put it back in. The big oil leak stopped, but there is still some oil dripping slowly out of the seep hole. The oil cooler adapter shaft was a little tough to push in, and I am hoping the o ring didn't come off the shaft on the process. The o rings were in a pack of 5 or so and were less than 4 bucks. The 1/2 inch allen wrench was about 9 dollars at Sears. Hopefully this will fix it.
Did you lube the O-ring before pushing the shaft in? If not, it may have twisted a bit and is not seating properly.
If so, it may just be some residual oil finding its way out.

SVTSnak
11-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Hey all,

I know this is an ancient thread, but I believe it applies to me. I've had an oil leak from the front end of the engine for a while now and cannot find where the heck it's coming from. It only really leaks when the car is cold. Once it warms up, you can't see any leak. :mad: :eek:

Anyway, by process of elimination, I decided to replace the gasket between the block & the oil filter adapter. Well, after looking at the service manual, now it looks like there are o-rings between the oil filter adapter and the oil cooler.

Here's the trick question...does anyone know what to call these o-rings???

I've tried to look them up online at all the local parts stores, but simply cannot find anything. I barely found the block/adapter gasket and they called it something way weird. :eek: :(

I know tomorrow is Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving to all, by the way), so I'm kind of screwed, but I was wondering if these o-rings are a "Ford only" part or does someone know what they are normally called?

I really hate to pull the old o-rings off and take them down there to try and "size them up" with generic o-rings...I don't have much faith in that. :(

Any help would be appreciated. I really can't order the parts and have my car (96 Cobra) down this long (daily driver). So, I was hoping to pick up the o-rings at like a Pep Boys/Kragen/CSK/Autozone/NAPA/Etc...

Any help would be appreciated. :-) :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Mat

SVTSnak
12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Yup, sure enough...once I got the oil filter off, the allen bolt (that the oil filter screws on to) was barely finger tight. :eek:

I replaced all the o-rings & gaskets and torqued it back down to 74 ft/lbs (per manual) and poof...oil leak is gone. Amazing. LOL

To me it's an f-up'd design, but at least it's fixed now. Thanks to the person who initially started this thread or I probably would have never noticed/checked this problem. :thumbsup:

PS As a side note, Ford does NOT show an o-ring part number for the o-ring that is on the allen bolt itself. The parts guy was cool enough to "match up" my old o-ring that I took off the shaft. Otherwise, you'd have to buy a new shaft to get that o-ring with it. Even he thought it was nuts. LOL