PDA

View Full Version : Stock VS. Mods

Stavesacre21
10-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Just curious as to how many of you are stock, and for those of you modified...how many? Strictly outta curiosity... :bounce:

Me personally, I was gonna stay stock, but a bad tranny and shifter forced me off my path of righteousness... :doubt:

Riversnake
10-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Its like I heard a guy from another forum say "Cobras are kinda like a crack habit- once the mods begin you're hooked" :D

I bought mine with Borlas already on it. I have gone to the dark side too and added a big cone K&N and a SCT tune BUT the wife said my Cobra needs NOTHING ELSE PERIOD :doubt: (until after Christmas :cool: ) he he he

Big Daddy
10-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Mines still stock! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotf:

RF Cobra
10-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Still stock. Will probably stay that way until after my wife's unexpected extended vacation ends.

kilroy
10-07-2005, 10:57 AM
just a few mods. should the car ever change its function as daily driver - i can see gettin' nuts with it.

FearTheSnake
10-07-2005, 11:26 AM
just a few mods. should the car ever change its function as daily driver - i can see gettin' nuts with it.
Greer..... Time to go nuts!

dewone
10-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Had to vote 6-10. More to come though.

Cobra4me
10-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Mines still stock! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotf: Your a funny man!:D

Cobra4me
10-07-2005, 11:42 PM
"Now counting on one hand" and "working on trying to remember"
If you understand what I mean lol!

ausie
10-08-2005, 11:22 AM
It all depends on what you consider as mods. If it excludes rolling stock, than I am left with one which would be the catback. I did not even have the car more than one week before fixing the plumbing. Other than that would the clutch quadrant count? Essentially it is bone stock motor/induction/tune wise.

Stavesacre21
10-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Yea, i guess I really don't know where to make the seperation...I mean, i had to replace my tranny, and even though it's not stock, i don't really think i consider it an upgrade :doubt:

Oh well, for the sake of keeping consistent tallys....lets say anything that Ford didn't stick on it from the factory (excluding a direct replacement K&N....i believe EVERYONE has at least that...;) )

dewone
10-10-2005, 08:14 AM
You replaced with the stock tranny I belive T-45. Thats a repair. When you put the shifter in that was not stock. That was your mod, or upgrade.

svtmc-g
10-10-2005, 08:17 AM
haha, I'm too poor for mods right now! *very upset* I'm bone stock doood!Once i have money its gears, pulleys, and long tube header time!!! Then my Fr500's!! It's such a nice dream! c'mon cash flow
Matt

bobbys97r
10-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Im poor too but I mod through EBAY just picked up BBK longtubes and short X pipe for 270 shipped

Lights of speed
10-12-2005, 12:03 PM
^^^^ great deal!:thumbsup:

bobbys97r
10-12-2005, 05:38 PM
^^^^ great deal!:thumbsup:
not as good as my BBK CAI and 65MM TB both for 150 shipped

ProfChaos
11-04-2005, 11:47 PM
I was blessed in that my '96 Cobra came with a few tasty mods already in-place (SuperChip and Bassani X-pipe with Borla mufflers that I later removed in favor of Flowmaster low-restriction mufflers--and am glad that I did...v-rroom). :)

It also had the K&N filtercharger in-place, and I've cleaned and re-oiled it once and am about to clean and re-oil it for a second time (easy-peasey). :)

I also added a few aesthetic mods: Steeda ergonomic, rubber-coated shifter knob (miles nicer than the stock leather-stitched knob, especially on longer trips), nifty-looking striking silver Cobra floor mats ($68), Zenon cool blue headlamps--very nice effect. Anodized blue valve stem caps ($1.99 for a set of four, at Wally's Place [Wal-Mart]). :D

That said, since I have 110K miles on Lorena the Magical Cobra Queen, the big mod is on the immediate horizon (next week): I am having the suspension replaced/lowered and the springs replaced with the Eibach Pro Series lowering kit. This mod will also include Tokico 5-way adjustable struts and shocks and UPR 4-bolt caster-camber plates.

cheers,
Professor Chaos

casey99COBRA
11-10-2005, 11:11 AM
i've got the mod bug. first was just an exhaust, then an intake, then some nitrous, then a built motor, now a d1sc... after that i did a complete return style fuel system with a sumped tank, then bought an Accel gen 7 stand alone computer, after that i still wasn't done... now i just built up a nice solid axle. my next mod is to build the tranny up or buy a nice Tremec. :bounce: :D
maybe over the winter i'll swap out the d1sc for an F1A or F2 :thumbsup:
just a big money pit...

Silver10th
11-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Are we talking performance mods or do dress-up mods count also?

kilroy
11-11-2005, 04:39 PM
lol. Gonna have to hustle a few extra street races to afford it is all :thumbsup:
Greer..... Time to go nuts! Well, Silver10th you're spending money so I guess the dress-up mods count (wheels=automotive jewelry, afterall)... :cool:

Levi
11-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Nothing wrong with it being stock. I was completely happy with my 98, a dream come true. Horse power, all I needed. Handling, Sweet it is and Looks to kill for. Until, I got the open track bug and then all I can say is LOOK OUT. So I think itís different for everyone, some like factory, some like suttle mods and some mod for a reason or purpose.

I think it's all, gooooood. :thumbsup:

AirForce1
11-12-2005, 06:59 PM
i have a few mods see sig.

cars in the shop for the k/B and other engine performance parts.

travlagnt2
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I have seen Big Daddy's Snake. All stock parts. Hell I couldnt believe it had a license plate. Nice job Big Daddy.

Mines still stock! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotf:

Playtme
11-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I just bought a bone stock 01 cobra vert and wasnt home 24hrs before I put 95cobra R rims on it and 03 cobra seats in it.

Joe

ProfChaos
12-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Last week, the Eibach Pro Series springs were installed (1-and-1/2 inch lowering), along with Tokico Illumina five-way adjustable struts and shocks, and Steeda tubular molly subframe braces (welded-in, with cross braces for the seat mounts).

Man, what a difference I notice, especially in the increased rigidity and true-ness of the chassis as you accelerate while turning. (Thank you, subframe braces!) I accidentally laid down a little "fish-tail" as I pulled out of the apartment complex and hit the accelerator a little too aggressively while turning hard left. Yee-hah! ...S ... :firedevil

Of course, it would also help avoid fish-tailing if I didn't have mostly bald tires..."mostly." :burnout:

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

Bartman01
12-27-2005, 01:06 AM
excluding a direct replacement K&N....i believe EVERYONE has at least that...;) )

Can I subtract one from my count then :) - I'm running paper.

Only 'performance' mod is subframes. FR500 steering wheel is semi apperance/semi performance (it is thicker and easier to hold). Then there are Cobra floor mats and the just installed iPod adapter.

So I guess performace wise:
+1 subframes
+1/2 steering wheel
-1 paper filter

Guess I am running 1/2 of a performance mod :p

edit - forgot the upgraded brake pads - is that a mod?

bluebyu
01-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Just added some MSD Coil Packs. That makes 12.http://x12.putfile.com/1/1022174725.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/)

srawrats7
08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Got a 93 Teal that makes good power (365 hp) through Bassani headers and full exhaust with cats, cold air intake, Trick Flow cam and heads, etc. Also, the suspension is tubular K member and coilovers in the front, as well as adjustable shocks, lowering springs in back and subframe connectors. I have always owned older Mustangs and still love them, but this is my second Fox body and I have the fever! I am currently looking for a 1979-1981 Cobra to build/modify.

:D

97BlackSnake
08-03-2006, 01:46 AM
I'm completely stock here... for the moment :D Magnapack's are going to be on in the next couple weeks :cool: Then I get to do a mod a month for the next year :thumbsup:

Mesarina
09-21-2006, 09:36 PM
just got it with 6-10 mods, let the modding begin :baby:

hi ofcr cobra
10-15-2006, 02:13 AM
This is a fun thread... I'm in:

Performance = 6-10
Performance + Bling = 11-20

Performance :woot:

Bassani X-Pipe w/ removable cats
Bassani Cat Back
C&L MAF & Inlet Pipe + K&N
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Sparco Harness Bar
Sparco 5pt Harnesses
18" FR500's wrapped in 275 Nitto NT-01's (for the track)

Bling :djsmile:

Snake Grille Medallion
Snake Stitched Floor Mats
Shorty Antenna
Chrome Bumper Inserts
In-Dash Touch Screen DVD/CD/XM Radio
Infinity Reference Components up front
Infinity Reference 3-ways in back
10" Kicker L7 Sub
Kicker 600x1 Amp
Kicker 350x4 Amp
Tsunami 2-Farad Capacitor

...Daily Driver...

Brandon Austin
10-17-2006, 12:26 AM
It had never crossed my mind to try and stay stock on my 96 cobra. First it is always the little stuff that is not to expensive, like k&n, steeda short shifter, tinted windows 20%. Then comes the range of $300 - $900 like, 18" saleen rims, 410 gear, computer chip, king cobra clutch, steeda racing suspension 1 1/2 drop, polished shorty headers, bassani X pipe, borla exhaust. So now you are getting into the money, but you know you cant stop there. Then comes the range of $1000 - $6000. And oh yeah I did it, a Paxton novi 1000 super charger (10 lbs boost) all chrome out that comes with the hole kit. Witch of course you have to get tuned after you put it on right!!!! So I guess you can say I love my cobra. But I just try not to add up all of the receipts. LOL

11-20 (Performance bound) :jawdrop: :thumbsup:

CJchronic
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Next mod = Baer Eradispeed rotors front and back. Strut tower brace and rear trunk brace<(forgot what they call it).

99blackcobra
10-20-2006, 10:48 AM
I have basically got everything that BBK performance offers for my cobra. The only thing that I dont have is the throttle body. BBK's website talked me out of it because it is basically useless with out your intake and heads being ported and polished. Also I got a Hypertech Programmer which gave me some horsepower. However, it was not the 54 horsepower that they claim in their ads.

venomnous99
02-21-2007, 09:13 PM
6-10

A few suspension, a new differential, and then came the bug.:bounce:

And of course, I had to add enough to handle the initial power from the twins, clutch, fuel system. And soon to follow, add-ons to handle full boost, both motor and drivetrain.:thumbsup:

Then more to follow to make it into a track car (HPDE and SCMC events), and possibly set up to run open road races. (like the Silver State Classic).
Then maybe I will stop, but probably not!!!:rotf:

ProfChaos
07-15-2008, 03:46 AM
30+

My '96 Cobra is in the "wow, it's-basically-a-refurbished-car" category, but I don't mind, because I knew what I was getting into: The car was an extra-clean-looking, high-mileage unit when I got it with 99,000 on the clock:

Suspension:
Eibach Pro Series Street Lowering Springs, 1.5" lower than OEM
Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable gas shocks
UPR 4-way adjustable, stainless steel caster/camber plates

Driveline:
B&M Racing short-throw shifter
Ford Racing "King Cobra" clutch and pressure plate
Ford Racing aluminum flywheel (also machined to be 10% lighter)
Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft
Ford Racing 4.10:1 ring-and-pinion gears
Ford Racing 31-Spline Trac-Lok
Moser 31-spline axles
Gorilla Wheel Lock System (20 individual lug nuts with socket-style "key")

Exhaust:
Bassani ceramic-coated headers (Stay away from these Cobra headers, trust me: They're a pain in the butt because the collectors need to be "glued-on," after installation, with a very thin layer of Permatex Ultra-Copper high-temperature sealant.)
Bassani stainless steel X-pipe with removable catalytic converters
Flowmaster dual-chamber mufflers
One-off mandrel-bent stainless exhaust from the X-pipe back
Magnaflow chrome-plated exhaust tips, bologna-cut

Engine:
Recently rebuilt, both top and bottom, including:
New OEM main bearings and rod bearings
Clearwater Cylinder Head complete refurbishing of heads
ARP head studs
Cometic multi-layered steel, high-performance head gaskets
Federal Mogul Speed-Pro high-performance piston rings
MotoBlue pulley kit with harmonic balancer

Intake/Engine Control:
K&N filter
SCT programmable engine-control chip
Bosch Premium O-2 Sensors
Completely refurbished Emissions Control Circuit (OEM), including new air pump, charcoal canister, high-temp hoses, and all other in-line components, including the relay-control module (CCRM), IAC, EGR, etc.

Interior/Soundproofing:
Black window-tinting
New front seat leather--both seats (European leather--much better than the cheesy, crack-prone OEM leather)
Mustangs Unlimited black rug (cheesy temporary replacement for stained-and-faded OEM tan rug)
Mustangs Unlimited black-and-silver Cobra-insignia floor mats
Cascade mondo-expensive, lead-lined sound-barrier material, both press-down (thick, lead-lined material for floors) and heat-gun-activated adhesive material (thin, lead-lined material for quarter panels, rear deck, and doors)
Cascade Urethane Acoustic Pyramids foam panels (packed two-layers-thick in the trunk and behind the back seats)

That's about it...I think. :scratch:

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos

CobraVert97
07-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Interesting thread. I've had my '97 since it's bithday back in april of same year. I was going to keep it stock initially, BUT had to make a few (very few) changes over the years to make it a little different & a little more fun. But overall, pretty damn near stock.

2000 Cobra R 18" Replicas (Stock in basement w/ tires), 275/35ZR nitto's, 3.73's, X-pipe w/cats, Cat back, Steeda TriAx, Cobra grill insert, k&n intake

On the future wish list:
KenneBell, lowering springs (just a little to get rid of the 4x4 look)...

At 11 yrs it seems like I've done very little compared to others! But then again I only have 31k on it. Its pretty much is a garage queen Mon thru Fri, no sense in wasting the gas when you have a company car!

SVTCOBRATKD
07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
96 vert is stock...except for 98 console, triax, K&N

Had a black 97 coupe that I added steeda springs & cc plates, cobra R's, triax, and 98 console....love those cup holders! :D

jlg32281
08-01-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm pretty close to stock. I have Ford Racing B springs, Tokico blue struts and shocks, shifter and flowmasters, 2001 Cobra wheels. I'm still running a stock air-filter. Every bit of the engine is stock if you don't count my Bosch brand oil filter as a varying from the Ford. I also still have a the original clutch. It's not this stock because I want it to be, I'm just broke and it's a daily driver.
When I graduate I plan on adding a built bottom end, turbo, T56, new seats, wider wheels and tires, coil overs, sub-frames, and a few other things. I hope my wife will go for it. hahahaha. I mean we're only talking about an extra $20k, why wouldn't she let me?

SVTSnak
10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
When I bought mine in June of this year, it was bone stock. Oh wait...it still is! :(

Normally I would have at least put rear gears in it in the least...but since money is tight...can't quite do that. Plus, it seems like all the damn performance parts for the Cobras are expensive as heck! I think lowest I've seen a set of 4.10 gears was $450.00! :eek: And that doesn't even count having someone put them in! :eek: :(

So, it's gonna be a while. Hell, I don't even have a CAI kit. Just sad. LOL

brkntrxn
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
You buncha lightweights.... here is our 99 Cobra:

New naturally aspirated setup:
- Aluminum 4.6 block bored .020 over
- Mahle flat top pistons (somewhere around 10.1 compression)
- Manley rods
- polished Cobra crank
- Canton Road Race pan
- Canton windage tray (put it back on)
- FMS Hi-Volume oil pump
- HM oil pump drive gears
- ARP head and main studs
- ported & polished stock heads w/ competition valve job
- Comp DOHC Stage 2 cams; 234/232 @ .050 .475/.450 lift
- Comp behive valve springs
- FRPP 30lb injectors
- JLT CAI
- breather can for valve covers

- ProMotion Powertrain built T-45 w/ 26 spline hardened input shaft, TKO output shaft and carbon fiber syncros
- ProMotion 26 spline custom clutch
- custom SPEC pressure plate
- FMS Cobra flywheel
- STEEDA clutch quadrant w/ firewall adjuster
- LFP radiator

- 95 model return style tank
- Aeromotive Y-blocks and filters
- Aeromotive Fuel Pump Controller
- Aeromotive regulator
- -6 & -8 stainless lines
- two Walbro 255lph external fuel pumps
- STEEDA fuel rails
- BBK Twin 62mm throttle body
- C&L housing w/ 03 Cobra MAF

- JBA equal-length ceramic coated shorties
- Magnaflow 2-cat X pipe
- Flowmaster catback

- SCT chip
- Auto Meter Phantom boost (lol, Donnie reconnected it so I can monitor my vacuum level)
- Auto Meter fuel pressure

- Maximum Motorsports Castor/Camber plates
- full-length subframe connectors
- 4-pt G-Load brace
- IRS poly bushings
- H&R Race springs
- Bilstein shocks and struts
- 03 Cobra 31 spline differential w/ FMS/Motive 3.55 gear
- 03 Cobra halfshafts
- Paulís HP IRS brace
- Paulís HP driveshaft loop
- Bruce's delrin and aluminum IRS bushing kit
- Tilton pump and B&M diff cooler

- Midcontinent brake duct kit
- Brembo rotors (blanks)
- Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 rear (I have XP12 and XP10s when those wear out)

- AC deleted
- rear seat removed

- 03 Cobra hood with vents and blanket removed

- 03 Cobra rims with Hoosier slicks for the road course
- 99 Cobra rims with street tires

Freakin' money pit....<!-- / message -->

brkntrxn
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Then again, our 01 vert is close to stock:

- K&N
- Magnaflow catback
- Centerforce DF clutch
- Tri-Ax shifter
- Autopower 6pt roll bar
- 3rd stock driver's side halfshaft LOL

ca01cobra
01-24-2009, 04:04 AM
New to the forum and just added my vote ... I have a completely stock 2001 Cobra, might be a bit plain for some, but for me it's good. If I were to change something, I would start with the exhaust system ... something a bit louder.

pacificgreensvt
01-27-2009, 01:44 PM
I lost count.

dougstang
02-26-2009, 01:14 AM
:bump: :bump:
Who's counting? :D

SVTSnak
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
I think I still win as mine is still totally bone stock. LOL :eek: :rotf:

dougstang
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I think I still win as mine is still totally bone stock. LOL :eek: :rotf:

I guess you haven' been SNAKE bit! (yet) :p

SVTSnak
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I have...it's called being poor. LOL!!!!

However, Monday I should have a set of 4.10 gears going in and I'm trying to find better pricing on someone to weld in the sub frame connectors I just got. They want about $225 (3 hrs) to weld them in.

But I'm workin' on it! LOL