PDA

View Full Version : Help! 2001 Cobra swap to 03 supercharger

ProudSVTowner
10-08-2005, 01:35 PM
First off, I am happy to be a new part of the site and cant get over all of the information.

I recently purchased a 2001 Cobra Coupe and absolutely love it. I have already started the mods in the few months that I've had it. They include:
MGW shifter
SLP X-pipe with high flow cats
SLP Loudmouth II kit
Eibach 1.5" springs
Steeda Rack bushings and X2 balljoints

I have recently purchased a supercharger off of a 2003 Cobra with injectors, meter, rails, intercooler reservoir, and various hoses for $750 bucks, hopefully I didnt over pay. I still need to get an intercooler, piping, mounts, lower manifold, and other stuff. I was wondering if anyone else has done the swap or has any suggestions. I have been searching for links, pics, and info. But havent had lots of luck. I am not looking to get crazy with the boost just yet while still on a college budget. I am finishing my four auto degree at Ferris State. I can do the work myself but am looking for a little insight. How much boost with stock 9.85:1 compression can I get away with?

Any information would be appreciate! Or if you are selling parts that will be needed for the swap please let me know.
Thanks, Chris

sssvtcobra
10-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Chris,

I don't want to let you down, but the swap isn't worth it. From what I have found and read on this board is that it takes alot more than what you have mentioned. I considered the swap myself when I had my '01. But after doing some investigating an searching I found out that I was better off just buying an '04. There are several threads on this matter here on the board, you might want to do a search before you start buying anymore parts or taking things apart.

I know how much you would like to have the boost, I was there once. But I just wanted to let you know that there is alot more to do and buy than one thinks.

Jeff

tcrews
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
If you "must" do this, someone on the corral http://www.corral.net/ has done this, check out the SVT & DOHC forum. Hate sending you elsewhere for info but they've "been there, done that" and can help you out.....just do a search on that section.

The biggest thing you'll need to worry about is your compression ratio. 9.85:1 ('01 Cobra) vs 8.5:1 (03/04 Cobra) is going to require you to swap in lower compression pistons or just don't expect your engine to last very long at all (oh....and you'll want forged pistons as well to handle the boost). If you don't swap your pistons expect your engine to last about one to two days with that blower on it. High compression, instant full psi boost and hyperutectic pistons......bye bye engine.

Other than that.....it's going to require a LOT of little misc. parts and whoever it was on the corral that did it.....well once they got into it they realized it would have been cheaper to sell/trade in their car and purchase an '03/04 Cobra.

Good luck.....

Pro-Dyno
10-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I have tuned one of these swaps for a freind of mine in NJ with the stock pully set up and using base 03 cobra timing and fuel tables when we where finished the car made 460's because of the compresion dif but it does take a lot of work and $ to do the swap. Good luck with it check out the sctflash.com site i belive there are some posts there also:thumbsup:

svtmc-g
10-10-2005, 08:12 AM
There's also a thread on svtperformance.com about the swap. There's ALOT of info over there. Just look under "New Edge Cobra" Ssection. A fella over there posted every little thing you need to do the swap. It totalled over $7,000!!! It was cheaper to comb the country for an 03/04 motor and drop that in! He said the engine bolted right up. And a tune of course. Good luck!
Matt

I want boost too, but i decided I'll wait and either get a Lightning later, or an 03/04! Do it the right way and have both worlds!

casey99COBRA
10-15-2005, 01:05 AM
if you can find all of the parts for cheap like in a package like my buddy did it is way worth it. My buddy got EVERYTHING for under $2,200 and that included an apten ported blower. Makes awesome power.

ausie
10-15-2005, 08:53 AM
I was down that road as well. but was considering the Kenn Bell unit rather than the Eaton. The Kenn Bell kit has every thing but the cost was in the 5k range. It cost me less money out of pocket to trade in the 01 for a new 04 than it did to purchase the Kenn Bell kit and also having the satisfaction that the motor would not blow apart with the power adder.

Good luck if you decide to commit to the Eaton install. Anything can be done, but it would be a good idea to have some insurance that the bottom end can handle the increased pressures. Forged pistons and connecting rods should also be upgraded as well. At least that way the $750 purchase would not cost you additional $$ for a short block replacement.