PDA

View Full Version : Carbon shaft in,,,problem solved,,,,wallet gone!

Dave B.
10-08-2005, 10:13 PM
As you know my OEM shaft was distroyed,,I got PST carbon fiber shaft that we installed today, it totaly and compleatly got rid of the vibration,,

$850 later, , ,

are you making Horse power?????????..... keep paying$$$

RF Cobra
10-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Glad to hear it solved your problem Dave! :thumbsup:

Dave B.
10-08-2005, 10:54 PM
what the Carbon Drive shaft does we think, are 2 things,

1. carbon fiber absorbs vibrations
2. it is so light, and I mean light,,theres just nothing to vibrate,

the things kind of scary when you hold it, if I was not so convinced that it was much stronger than it is, I would swear to you it would snap in half the moment I let out the clutch,
it seems so thin,,think of a paper towel card board tube,, looking at it before you pick it up that looks solid,
like the carbon fiber was an inch thick or more, but when you hold it and tap on the carbon part you would swear its not even 1/8 of an inch thick,,,,,the ends are a high grade aluminum, then the spline and flang are steel,,,,,,,definatly and odd peice,,,,but it did the trick. :D :D :D

spitfire
10-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Great, keep us updated, I want to see if you make it past a 1,000 miles with no vibration. If you do, I am off to get one for my Snake! Good luck, and please keep us informed! Whats up with the 410 gears, are you thinking about putting them back on?

Dave B.
10-09-2005, 03:21 PM
you know someone posted they heard of someone having problems keeping a carbon shaft balanced, so I called PST and asked them about that,

they,,,said ,,,,,NO!!!

Mark also went on to say that the one thing a carbon shaft does is absorb vibrations, and I looked at this thing before we put it on and theres no balancing weights, ,,none!,,,,so i dont think this think gets balanced to be honest,,,its so light that there may just not be any weight to shake and or balance

blk04cobra1
10-09-2005, 08:53 PM
I just got back from some spirited driving and didnt have any vibrations...guess im one of the lucky one's...my wife got mad cause she looked over at the speedo and it was at 140 and she told me to slow down :bounce:

note to self--140 comes quickly and carries a hefty penalty...will not be doing that anytime again soon :rotf:

Dave B.
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
what all do you have done to your car? do you get on it much?

InfamousSVT
10-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Glad it worked out for you Dave

I might have to look into the Carbon Fiber driveshafts if/when mine takes a crap on me :D

ausie
10-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Carbon fiber components are created by building up layers of fabric. Due to its construction it will not need balancing since the fabrication process is fully controlled. As you said it is light as a feather so the inertial mass will not effect rotation since the majority of the weight is at the ends of the shaft (yokes). I would not doubt that there is a cardboard tube inside it since that is probably what they used to form the structure. Stay clear of debris on the highway since an impact may cause the shaft to shatter (do not drive over rubber casings thrown off truck tires ). That is just a thought, and probably will not be an issue with the carbon fiber shaft.

Dave B.
10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
So what was this story someone on here was tossing about, how a guy with a Carbon shaft was having problems keeping it balanced?? remember seeing that post before I bought mine? there is no way or need to balance one,

therefore who ever on that other board was full of it,,,,or something

ausie
10-13-2005, 07:46 AM
perhaps they did not assemble it properly. There are those out there that should not even be driving yet somehow manage to replace parts on thier vehicles. I have a freind who is like this and once in a while I wind up helping to repair the damage cause by his forcefull assembly procedures. He is one of those that jumps to conclusions and wants to replace everything eventhough there is nothing wrong with it and it usually winds up being worse than it was before the attempt. Some people are just mechanically declined.

RF Cobra
10-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Don't forget about the "I saw two old guys telling corny jokes completely tear down and rebuild a longblock 5.0/4.6 DOHC etc. engine in 30 minutes on their tv show so I can do it too..."

We get that from time to time in our business. You can always tell which of our clients have watched a few episodes of "This Old House" and think they are instant experts in construction from the ones that have not.

InfamousSVT
10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Dave B.

You said that you were having vibrations above the 80mph mark and so you went with the carbon fiber driveshaft right?
Is that all you changed? Just dropped the stock driveshaft and bolted in the carbon fiber one? Just wondering cause I was looking at the carbon fiber driveshafts for my car...............just to have it really:D

Dave B.
10-18-2005, 08:20 PM
yes, the carbon shaft fixed it compleatly,,,,if your making power, and have 4:10's then chances are your OEM shaft is a gonner,.,,,,but the PST carbon shaft is the fix,,,its has NO balance weights,,,,it does not get balanced,,,how about that?