PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or supercharger??

v8musclecobra
10-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey guys whats up. Im pretty new to engines and all and was wondering what would be a better setup. Hp twin turbo, another turbo setup, kenne bell supercharger, or another supercharger/centrifugal supercharger setup. Id like to keep the car a street car but eventually run 9's if possible. Don't want to take a/c out or anything. Which would gvie me all around better performance and/or faster quarter mile time? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.

InfamousSVT
10-10-2005, 08:45 PM
If you want to run 9's go twin turbo and an automatic

If you don't want to spend all the money on that, go with a KB/whipple and put a shot of juice on it or just spin the hell out of the supercharger to like 24psi and let her rip

Dave B.
10-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Prepare to continualy break out the wallet,,,,,,,often!!

crunchit
10-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I'd go with the blower to start. Then after porting and modding (and modding and modding...) chang your suspension to carve corners. Once youve gotten over that you will certainly find someone on one of these boards to purchase all your stuff, then go with the turbo.

That should take you about two years...

v8musclecobra
10-11-2005, 11:46 AM
could i still run 9's on the stock 6 speed tranny, cause id hate to drop an auto in there. I still want it to be more of a fun street car then a full out drag car.

smashedheadcat
10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Dynospeed has a HP twin turbo cobra with a 6-speed (upgraded internals in the trans) running 9's on the stock block. It's a mean setup that's for sure. I will be going for 9's as well. I've got an HP twin turbo kit (baby 50mm turbos) with a solid axle, 26spline input shaft and centerforce DFX clutch. And tons of other stuff. It may not go 9's but it's going to haul the mail anyway!

InfamousSVT
10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Dynospeed has a HP twin turbo cobra with a 6-speed (upgraded internals in the trans) running 9's on the stock block. It's a mean setup that's for sure. I will be going for 9's as well. I've got an HP twin turbo kit (baby 50mm turbos) with a solid axle, 26spline input shaft and centerforce DFX clutch. And tons of other stuff. It may not go 9's but it's going to haul the mail anyway!
So Josh, how's the install going?? Any updates?

smashedheadcat
10-11-2005, 08:47 PM
So Josh, how's the install going?? Any updates?

The IRS swap into my 97 cobra has been a pain in the a$$ thusfar, but I've got it knocked out now. I'm working a few issues trying to get the borla stinger catback (for an '03 cobra) in there and lined up, then I have to machine the IRS bolt on the passenger side down a little bit to clear my wheels (had no rubbing issues on my '03, but it rubs in the 97) and I will fire it up........ well, the battery doesn't hold a charge so I just got a new one today. I am working now (24 hours straight) and when I get off of work I'll knock out the rest of the 97. I'll cat nap, then change the oil in it, then fire it up. Which really, I can't wait to do. I love that car so much it's driving me crazy not driving it. So after that..... I'll clean out the garage, and back the '03 in there. I'll work most of the day tomarrow on it (whatever time is left) and I'll jump into it head first this weekend. I'm expecting to have the Eaton off there and the '01 intake conversion done, headers installed, tubular k-member, a-arms, coil overs, injectors, etc done by the end of the weekend. If that goes smooth, possibly the input shaft, clutch/flywheel etc as well. I'm missing a few parts (moon clamps that hold the hot side of the turbo to the cold side (4 of them) and I'm also missing my Castor/camber plates (on back-order). I'm hoping by the end of NEXT weekend (not this weekend, but next) to have it on the road working out bugs and partial throttle tuning etc. Then the weekend after, up to Haywood custom speed for wide open throttle tuning. Whatever happens, I will not rush the install as I want everything perfect, but I really want to hit the drag day ready to rock and roll!!

v8musclecobra
10-11-2005, 10:36 PM
good luck with the install. Sounds like it's going to be mean lol. So the stock block will handle the power of the twin turbo's? Just wondering cause i wouldn't want to be breaking stuff.

smashedheadcat
10-12-2005, 06:06 AM
It's all in the tune. I hope it stays together. There are a multiple stock block '03 cobras that are north of 800rwhp so I don't see why mine can't get there too. I am going to the dyno with a tune in mind instead of horsepower number. I'm going for an 11.3 -11.5 a/f ratio and safe timing curve. I'm looking for 11-13 deg timing up high depending on boost. So basically no timing, pig rich and some race gas for anything 15psi and above.