PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ragtop owners

VenomSVT
10-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey guys,
I just purchased my 98 convertible a little over a month ago. Well since it has rained a few times recently I have noticed a leak on both the drivers side and passenger side door windows.:( The leaks occur at the weather stripping in the front top corners of the windows. This is my first convertible and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it is a common occurance? Help me, help me.

Thanks,

tcrews
10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I bought a used '98 Cobra convertible around March of '04 and haven't had a leak at all....

My friends '97 Cobra vert he bought back in '99 doesn't lead either...

Stavesacre21
10-11-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey guys,
I just purchased my 98 convertible a little over a month ago. Well since it has rained a few times recently I have noticed a leak on both the drivers side and passenger side door windows.:( The leaks occur at the weather stripping in the front top corners of the windows. This is my first convertible and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if it is a common occurance? Help me, help me.

Thanks,
Doesn't happen to have been in an accident, does it?

If so...that says it all.

That was the #1 thing that my autobody bud told me...NEVER buy a convertible that has been in an accident. If the impact was heavy enough, you'll NEVER be able to get all the rubber seals and gaskets to align up perfectly again...hence a top that will almost always have leaks

Sure hope that's not the case for you bud :(

flynfink
10-11-2005, 07:58 AM
OK, I see the first two post didn't help so..

First, how tight are the clamps? When you put the top up, are they easy or somewhat difficult? You could tighten them. Take a look at them and you should be able to figure that out.

Second, what kind of shape is the weatherstrip aling the top of the winshield in?

Lastly, take it into a good body shop and have the top realigned.

My 99 leaked a little and they realigned the top under warranty. My previous 93 vert leaked a bunch until I replaced the top weatherstrip.

Good Luck on a dry vert.

smashedheadcat
10-11-2005, 02:37 PM
I know I'm of zero help to you, but I've had 2 rag top cobra. A 97 (which I still own) and a 99 (totaled :( ) and neither one ever had a problem with leaks.

nckissfan
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
the top right corner of my 97 leaks, but only when it rains real heavy. If it is just a minor rain, or mist, etc, it doesn't leak. I think mine is coming from the weather stripping on the roof line, not the windows. I would take Jeff's (flynfink) advice:thumbsup:

Stavesacre21
10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
you know, come to think of it, when i first got my 97, and it sat out in a HEAVY rain all nite and through the morning, i did come out and find that right below where the 2 front corners connected, there were a few very small water deposits. Since then, I've never seen any leaking first hand though.

Guess it still doesn't really help with fixing it...but if you ask me, replacing the weather stripping and realigning it all sounds like a surefire way around the problem :thumbsup:

VenomSVT
10-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys for your advice :) . The first thing I will do is tighten the clamps. If that doesn't work I will take it to a trustworthy bodyshop and have it checked for alignment. The weatherstripping seems to be in really good shape....but I will have that checked also.

Thanks again!!:thumbsup: