PDA

View Full Version : 03 cutoff problem

iceman412
10-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Has anyone experienced periodic engine cutoffs while downshifting to a stop, when the clutch is in? Most of the time it happens when I slip it in neutral and coast to the light. It re-fires instantly. Any help would be nice, before I have to take it to the dealer and have them tell me it's normal.:lol:

cobracrazy
10-11-2005, 08:21 PM
You probably have a cold air kit installed in the car, right? In the early 03' there is a TSB for a re-flash that solves this problem. I believe they call it "Loss of power". Any qualified SVT dealer will promptly update your computer. I would go visit Ted Britt in Chantilly. They fixed mine when I had the same problem.

BTW: I am in P-ville right down the street. Do you ever go to Chick-fil-a on Friday nights? A bunch of car nuts go there every Friday night during the summer months.

:thumbsup:

03slidewayzSVT
10-11-2005, 08:24 PM
mines done it a few times. I'v noticed it when hitting brake and turning at same time. BUT my foot was on the clutch. twice it stalled and once is started to stall so I gave it some gas and it was fine. I think it has to do with low rpm and load on engine and the computer can't recover it as fast as were doing it. Now I know about it so I watch for it and It's been months since it happened.:eek: :D

kilroy
10-11-2005, 08:26 PM
In the early 03' there is a TSB for a re-flash that solves this problem.:thumbsup: True dat

smashedheadcat
10-11-2005, 09:13 PM
This I believe is the latest text for as what ford is doing to correct this problem:

SM 17542 2003 MUSTANG COBRA - LACK OF POWER ON DECELERATION
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER. CALIBRATION FILES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT www.MOTORCRAFT.COM.

The newest calibration is marked as AMZ2 (computer code). This is the tune I used to fix my stall issue. I just used the SCT pro racer package and used this pcm code as a starting point for my tune. I believe if you take your car to a dealer they will flash your computer with this calibration. They will also update the sticker on the passenger side door stating that the vehicle's tune was modified by ford and it will show the new calibration code (most likely amz2). Take it to the dealer, and they will fix it for you. If you have a chip or a custom tune flashed into your computer you'll be in for a few minor bumps in your quest to fix the stall. If you have an aftermarket calibration flashed into your computer, the dealer's fix is going to flash over your custom tune leaving you with stock '04 cobra strategies. If you have a chip, the flash will do nothing as your chip will retain whatever program is burned to it. So if you have a chip, you'll need to contact the tuner who sold it to you and they can update the tune for you to fix your issues. If you have a flashed tune (preditor, xcal etc) contact your tuner and they can fix this problem as well. I hope this helps. But, like I said earlier, if you have the factory tune loaded, just take your car to the ford dealer and they willl fix you up and send you on your way.

cobracrazy
10-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey Josh-

Are you back state side yet? I have been out of the loop for a while.

My bad, I just read another post and I am will assume you are here if you are putting the IRS into the 97'

smashedheadcat
10-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Hey Josh-

Are you back state side yet? I have been out of the loop for a while.

My bad, I just read another post and I am will assume you are here if you are putting the IRS into the 97'

Yeah, I'm back. Got back the last day of August. :thumbsup:

Dave B.
10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Iceman,,do you have a 95MM mass air meter?

todds03
11-25-2005, 09:23 PM
acually, i was reading some of the other threads, and i think i got my answer, im going to call another tuner and mabe he could fix it.

Big T
11-26-2005, 02:49 PM
I was having the same problem. The more mods I did the worse it got. Coming into turns was the worst. Don at modular madness added the new tune to my car and it is fine. I didn't want to bring it to a dealer because I was afraid that they would screw up my tune or blame the stalling on my mods. If you already have a tune from someone, they will probably do it for free.