PDA

View Full Version : have you had a custom tune after some bolt on's ??

Dave B.
10-24-2005, 11:34 PM
for my self as well as others, what we would like to know, is your HP and TQ before and after, your custom tune??

in other words,,what was the gain from the TUNE it self? not the bolt on's.
but what did you get from that tuner operating the machine?

Im thinking of getting a custom tune, but I guess I need to be convinced the tuner can do a far better job than I can with a wideband, thanks

blk04cobra1
10-25-2005, 08:05 AM
There's only so much a tuner can do with what he/she has to work with...if you feel your car is tuned to its capacity, then dont bother...but if there's any hint that it's not, then go ahead a do it...most of them charge around $300 for a custom tune and if there's any room for improvement, they'll find it...but like I said, if you feel it's maxed out, then dont bother :thumbsup:

kilroy
10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Im thinking of getting a custom tune, but I guess I need to be convinced the tuner can do a far better job than I can with a wideband, thanksdave - there's only limited tweaks you may make using a hand-held. Unless you have the professional's tuning software (not just a hand held) you'll never make the power. Case in point - Rocky's (RR03Cobra) vert was tweaked by his handheld. Rick Erdman said to him last February @ Versuch dyno day - "If I can't make at least 25rwhp, it's free." He made more than 25rwhp/tq. :thumbsup: No other parts were installed, either.

Hope that answers your question. ATS shop number is in my sig.

Riversnake
10-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Its my understanding that the SCT tuners are using a version of Ford's software to tune the cars (?) I saw a TON of options on the GUI of the SCT software used when tuning mine. Oh so many more than is avail on the handheld unit.

I know mine is much better after the tune. Joe @ Dynospeed Racing in Memphis did a great job on my car and didnt have the first problem afterward either. :thumbsup:

Linn@Amazon
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Im thinking of getting a custom tune, but I guess I need to be convinced the tuner can do a far better job than I can with a wideband, thanksI'll let you be the judge http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173406

there is no substitute for knowledge and experience...have you been tuning long?do you have access to live tuning software and a dyno? are you a certified instrument calibrator so you can monitor your AF equipment and know when you are getting a bad reading?
Just as Kilroy stated. you are limited unless you have all the tools available to you to get the max from the vehicle and still have safe drivability. Some one who does this for a living and has a reputation to uphold would IMO be able to acheive the answer to your question.