PDA

View Full Version : Dyno tuned finaly,,,not what I thought.

Dave B.
10-27-2005, 02:15 PM
heres the real numbers done on a Dynojet Dyno,

468.27 RWHP and 485.49 RWTQ

the first run had to be aborted as it was way to lean, and I do not have a 95MM mass air on it anymore,

now this surprises me, but when I think of all the other stuff iv done to the car that has nothing to do with making HP it brings the world of reality back home,

Wish I would have spent most of it on a good Wipple

blk04cobra1
10-27-2005, 02:42 PM
That's right on for your mods...slap a 4lb lower on there and you'll see about 10+rwhp and 20+ftlbs...you shouldnt be disappointed, but I do call it the humble maker :thumbsup:

Dave B.
10-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Yea the tuner said with a 4 LBs pulley on the bottom it would put out 525 torque but 20 lbs on top of 485 is not 525 ,,,its 505,,,but now im splitting hairs,

let me now ask you fine folks a couple of questions,

is every bodys clutch like a freeking 40 ton dump trucks??? whats the fix for this??,,,its a stock clutch man,,

and if I put on a 4 lbs bottom pulley, is it going to hurt top end power by over spining the blower?? I have a 2.76 pulley on it??

Linn@Amazon
10-27-2005, 05:32 PM
upper and lower pulley combos are by far the most impressive set ups..the lower will give you more torque which will help move the car since it is so heavy..I like the 2.95 or 3.00 upper and 6# lower combo the most.. the bigger you go with the lower the more torque but then you have to be moderate with the blower pulley or you will have an extreme application that will for the most part be inneffecient with a stock Eaton..

Big T
10-27-2005, 09:46 PM
upper and lower pulley combos are by far the most impressive set ups..the lower will give you more torque which will help move the car since it is so heavy..I like the 2.95 or 3.00 upper and 6# lower combo the most.. the bigger you go with the lower the more torque but then you have to be moderate with the blower pulley or you will have an extreme application that will for the most part be inneffecient with a stock Eaton..
If you had a 2.8 what lower size would you recommend? would that be better than getting a port? Also, Could you do a port along with an upper/lower combo?

Dave B.
10-27-2005, 09:54 PM
listen, the guy that just tuned my car, said not to port the Eatons, he said if Eaton knew they could make more power out of it they would have done it,

He went on to said that he tuned a cobra not to long ago that just had his Eaton ported, and was there getting tuned,

On the second run his whole Snout broke off and just distroyed the blower, and tore open the radiator.

now I know that does not happen to many, but Dang!!!

Linn@Amazon
10-27-2005, 10:13 PM
your tuner would be the first person I ever heard about not recommending porting the Eaton..how is the logic of removing restrictive material to produce better flow faulty? ported Eatons are a proven product and being improved all the time. however an improper porting job where the opening is opened up too far could cause the integrity of the structure to fail which may have been the case with what he saw.

Dave B.
10-27-2005, 10:19 PM
your right!!! absolutly right,,,,Iv never heard of that happening before, but why does Eaton not port it them selves?? there has to be some smart guys there,,,,why didnt they do it??

I bet theres a trade off if it does work,,I bet some where else in the power band something is given up in exchange for that extra 20 HP

Linn@Amazon
10-27-2005, 10:19 PM
If you had a 2.8 what lower size would you recommend? would that be better than getting a port? Also, Could you do a port along with an upper/lower combo?

yes you can have a ported Eaton with a combo..2.8 upper and 4# lower is a nice combo for either ported or unported Eaton

Linn@Amazon
10-27-2005, 10:31 PM
your right!!! absolutly right,,,,Iv never heard of that happening before, but why does Eaton not port it them selves?? there has to be some smart guys there,,,,why didnt they do it??

I bet theres a trade off if it does work,,I bet some where else in the power band something is given up in exchange for that extra 20 HP

I owned a Lincoln Mercury dealership and had to deal with Ford on a daily basis. just about everything they do is governed by production costs..and it could be that they just didnt feel that they needed to product any more HP on this vehcile than they did.

you will lose some in the lower end with a port but it is still a mod worth doing.

cobra2112
10-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Dave, the lean condition was caused by your 95mm Mass Air? My tuner wanted to throw mine (95mm) out the window. Those things really screw up the monitoring of the air flow. Now i'm wondering why they sell them?:doubt:

Dave B.
10-28-2005, 12:55 AM
I dnot know where you got that from?

I do not have a 95MM mass air meter,,,,I took it off a long time ago when I realized it was junk, Im still waiting for someone to tell me if I can use a 4 Lbs lower pulley with my 2.76 SC pulley,,,,as im not taking the SC pulley again for anything, the one thats on it now is the third pulley and Im not changing it again,,,,too much hassle

Pro-Dyno
10-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Lynn is exactly right we have done about 25 port tunes with all different pulley setups and have never seen this problem with a snout breaking off:eek:

Dave B.
10-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Please tel me,,,if you look at all my mods at the start of this thread,
you will see i just went on a Dynojet Dyno, and the HP and TQ numbers are their too,

What would be the simplest way to get 500 RWHP and an equal enough amount of torque?? most say a 4 LBs lower pulley, is there another way ???
NO NO2 please

Riversnake
10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
listen, the guy that just tuned my car, said not to port the Eatons, he said if Eaton knew they could make more power out of it they would have done it, Dont know about this either??

Buddy of mine had his ported very early in the year this year, been running great since. If I remember correctly, with no other changes other than the porting and adjusting tune to the port job, he made 56 more rwhp after the porting. This was before/after dyno sessions, same day/same machine for both sets of runs. He has been pleased as punch as far as I know with his.

Linn@Amazon
10-28-2005, 03:54 PM
the best way is to port the Eaton but then you may have to do other modding upgrades...and as always..it is in the tune too...you may get close to your goals with the 276 upper and 4# lower if it is tuned well...you never know with these cars..they all have different results...

blk04cobra1
10-28-2005, 11:03 PM
The only way you will see over 500rwhp is if you port the blower (or add a shot of n20)...2.76 and 4# lower, plus a stage 3 port job would put you in the 525+rwhp and 500+tq :thumbsup:

Dave B.
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
the mech that works on my car just today said putting a 4Lbs lower pulley on with my 2.76 upper would over rev the Eaton....not good, what say you about that??

Anyone out there running a 2.76 SC pulley and a 4 LBs lower without any problems??? if so,,,how many miles have you put on the car since ??

Dave B.
10-29-2005, 12:01 AM
You know what??? the heck with all this taking pulleys on and off,

Im putting the 4:10's back in next week, those gears alone will make the car feel like its gained that 25 Lbs of torque right there, more like a 50 Lbs affect,,now that I have the Carbon drive shaft im all set, problem solved,,,,,Uh,anyone want a set of 3:73 gears???

ProfChaos
10-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Doesn't changing the gearing to 4:10 put a greater load on the OEM transmission--as in a potential ka-blooey!?

And, doesn't it screw with the highway performance/overall real-world application of computer-control, emissions, and what-not?

I remember my brother's 400 C.I. '68 GTO had 4:11 gearing. It was impressive as all get-out--would shoot driveway gravel for twenty-five yards because of all of the extra torque. He joked that the gravel flying every which way was evidence that adding 4:11 gearing wasn't a very practical thing to do.

Of course, "practical" people buy Hondas, not Cobras. :D

Even so, my '96 Cobra with only SuperChip and custom exhaust is very impressive as a "practical" muscle car, and I wonder at what point the "more is always better" attitude collapases into little more than macho bravado and thus begins to destroy the effectiveness and all-around character of a wonderfully designed drive train. SVT does rock, every now and again. Thus, I think that on the '03/'04 that I buy, I'll leave the basic drive train intact and will stick to standard pulley mods and the tried-and-true per this Forum---will leave gearing mods and internal--potentially "infernal"--engine mods to those who want to drag race or who have enough money to experiment and thus absorb the cost of badly-failed experiments, and who don't mind running the risk of destroying the "collectable" nature of the car. (Doesn't all major drive train work on Cobras have to be performed by SVT-certified techs or the fancy-pants engine signatures effectively mean nothing?)

I'm kicking tires on '03/'04 convertibles and prefer the low-mileage, Car-Fax "virgins" to those with custom mods--custom exhaust, K&N filtercharger, and standard blower pulley mods excepted. Heavily modified, late model Cobras that happen also to be for sale remind me of my friend the very successful Porsche dealer's maxim: "Be careful with tricked-out 'freshly-built' cars that you're not buying someone else's problems."

Just my two pennies...

cheers,
-Professor Chaos

ausie
10-29-2005, 09:46 AM

Ford and other auto manufacturer's that use Eaton superchargers, or even other power adders like turbo's have to bow down to the EPA. One reason why the psi was set for 8lbs (nominal). More boost requires more fuel and in doing so will burden the buyer with high costs called the Gas Guzzler Tax at time of purchase. I do recall it was something the early buyers of the 03 could not avoid. Ford as well as GM (with the Corvette) were able to re-submit to the EPA with the 1-4 shift that would improve gas milage and eliminate the GGT. Had the Eaton been ported and the motor HP maxed out we would all be paying the GGT. If it is classified as a passenger vehicle (and not an SUV) there are strick regulations to meet. Also I believe that auto manufacture's get an incentive in providing gas economical vehicles. It is all in the red tape. I expect that the new 07 Shelby GT500 will be under the gun with the EPA as well as the new 09 Dodge Challenger with the SR8 package (hemi motors have some of the cylinders shut off to reduce fuel consumption - but sounds like that would cause issues in the long run) as well as the much larger motor used in the 05/06 Corvette not to mention the V10 that resides in the Viper. At least the cost of porting the Eaton is less than the cost of the Gas Guzzler tax (of course minus the cost of the tune). I remember the sticker shock on the early 03's which is something I avoided when I bought my 04 :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
10-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I have no idea who your tuner is, but he is feeding you a bunch of bullshit. I dont normally go after other tuners, but this guy is holding you back from a lot of power. If I had stayed with the Eaton, there is no way in hell I wouldnt have already ported it, done a 4lb lower and added a 100shot :thumbsup: . Yes, spinning the Eaton to 17-18lbs is maxing it out, but it can take it...matter of fact, I'll bet my stock blower on it :D . Steigemeire wouldnt be in business if their port jobs and combo'd Eatons were ****ing up. Is there a possibility of overspinning, yes, but likelyhood of it happening, slim to none.

If it were me, save the expense of the 4.10's, have a Stage 3 port done ($495), get a 4lb lower...and see your numbers soar :bounce: .

sssvtcobra
10-29-2005, 12:27 PM
I am planning on porting my eaton, changing the upper pulley to a BF 2.76 and all idlers. Now with a 2.76 upper and a port job should a 4# lower be used or should a 2.93 upper and a 4# lower be better? The port job will be steigmeyers stage 3 port job. I was also thinking about purchasing their ported throttle body and inlet as well.

So to sum it up which upper and lower combo should be used with a stage 3 port job? This is just a daily driver (spirited driving in mind :D ) and occasional trip to the strip maybe once or twice a year.

Thanks to any that answer.

Dave B.
10-29-2005, 05:29 PM
look, the air/fuel line was right on,,,I saw it, this is an every day driver, i never started out to make something that was going to be all apart in the shop most of its life, I think the number he used was 11.7 ,,,,,thats it!!!

Thats all shes going to make with the stuff I have on it, my car the way it is now is premo for what im doing, I do not need to get every dime of HP out of it and make it unreliable in the process,,,,the way it is now I would not hesitate to drive accross the country,,,,,,can these guys with KB's, NO2, heavy duty mods say the same???????

I only wanted it to make what it could still in the bolt on configuation
(except for the 4:10's or course)

Big Daddy
10-29-2005, 08:44 PM
look, the air/fuel line was right on,,,I saw it, this is an every day driver, i never started out to make something that was going to be all apart in the shop most of its life, I think the number he used was 11.7 ,,,,,thats it!!!

Thats all shes going to make with the stuff I have on it, my car the way it is now is premo for what im doing, I do not need to get every dime of HP out of it and make it unreliable in the process,,,,the way it is now I would not hesitate to drive accross the country,,,,,,can these guys with KB's, NO2, heavy duty mods say the same???????

I only wanted it to make what it could still in the bolt on configuation
(except for the 4:10's or course)

Well mines not an '03-'04 but it is HEAVILY modified and I drove it "across country" last summer on the Hot Rod Power Tour and I intend to long haul it again this year. So YES! :D ;)

Dave B.
10-29-2005, 09:00 PM
What kind of miles are the Kenny Bells good for before they have to be overhauled?? I was thinking I would do either a KB or Whipple should the wife not leave me over it,

But I heard Ford uses the Eaton because they can get 100,000 miles out of it,
does that mean the bigger ones at not going to run as long before overhaul??

so whos got the best deals on the KB's or Whips??

Big T
10-29-2005, 10:29 PM
I've been checking into the lower pulleys and I was wondering if they all have the whistling sound. It sounds pretty cool but I don't know if that would be irritating after a while. Does anyone have any input regarding this?

blk04cobra1
10-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Dave--any modified car could possibly have problems, hell any stock car could for that matter...the port and lower pulley would not make any more of a difference in problems occuring than your current pulley/tune setup now...I just hate seeing tuners tell their customers bullshit stories and no no no, dont do that, when it's perfectly safe and gets you more power...I think most were responding b/c you said you didnt get what you expected, which usually means you arent happy. As far as the KB's and Whipples, they are perfectly fine and can be used probably longer than you will have the car, but like everything else, im sure it would need an overhaul at 100k miles.

Linn@Amazon
10-30-2005, 01:25 PM
the mech that works on my car just today said putting a 4Lbs lower pulley on with my 2.76 upper would over rev the Eaton....not good, what say you about that??

Anyone out there running a 2.76 SC pulley and a 4 LBs lower without any problems??? if so,,,how many miles have you put on the car since ??

we ran that set up on our car for many miles before we did the Whipple install and that was WITH a ported Eaton...

I drove and raced the car with no issues for most of the 6800K miles that were on it when we sold it last week.

with all due respect I am concerned about the advice you have been getting about your car...please feel free to contact me anytime....we have worked with these cars almost exclusively for the last 4 years...

Pro-Dyno
11-16-2005, 12:19 AM
i just puled 529rwhp sae dyno jet out of an 03 with 4# lower 2.8upper strickmyer stage 4 port job and the car runs flawlesly and have tuned many stage 3's and have had no blower problems :D

blk04cobra1
11-16-2005, 09:14 AM
that's nice Dan...is it local to Charlotte?

Pro-Dyno
12-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Yes sonic blue In fort mill