PDA

View Full Version : Buying a higher milage cobra and modding

blok
11-01-2005, 10:28 PM
hi, i found a 10th aniversery cobra with 40k miles for a pretty good deal, im wondering with that many miles is it safe to pulley it without having to rebuild the engine and what problems should i look for when i look at the car.

I need some help im going from a vette to a cobra, haha.

Dave B.
11-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Geez man, I would not worry about 40K
I have almost 30K on mine and ithad pulleys and all kinds of goodies hooked up to it and my car runs srtong,, I would worry more about the abuse its taken,,,,,,,ask the guy what kind of quarter mile times he been able to pull on the car,

if hes under the age of 40, and says anything that leads you to beleive its been on a race track,, I would not buy the car, I would not buy any car thats ever had Nitrous on it, or been raced,,,,

I want to also say this,
I just cannot believe how some people abuse, and totaly disrespect their stuff, I know of people that think steel is this magic stuff that never breaks or gets damaged in any way, and then get mad at Ford when the thing breaks down, I know these types when I see them, basicly its age,
if you buy a performance car of an irresponsible 22 year old, your just looking for trouble, If you buy a performance car from a 50 year old Home owner with a family, you have probably found a very well kept machine,

Im 48, and my cars had the best of the best treatment from day one, since it was broken in, I have run only Royal Purple oil in it and changed about every 4000 to 6000 even though Royal says to go 12,000 even on a performance application, and its never been on a race track and is not going to be,

the best thing you could do, is buy a car from someone like me,
an older family man who takes excelent care of their stuff, so rather than tell what warning signs on the car you should look for to see if its a problem child,,,,,FORGET THE CAR,,,AND LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE OWNER AND WHAT TYPE OF PERSON, HE IS,,,,,

InfamousSVT
11-02-2005, 12:26 AM
hi, i found a 10th aniversery cobra with 40k miles for a pretty good deal, im wondering with that many miles is it safe to pulley it without having to rebuild the engine and what problems should i look for when i look at the car.

I need some help im going from a vette to a cobra, haha.
With 40k thousand the motor is just getting broke in ;) .
Seriously though, I'd find out a little about the owner him/her-self like said above and ask what the car was used for. Find out if it has the head tick (early 03 models only) and what aftermarket parts have been put on the car or if it's completely stock. If the car is completely stock and looks like it was kept up really well, then I say go for it. Just make sure you test drive it first :D

BlueOvalPower
11-02-2005, 10:05 AM
WHen I bought mine I looked really close to the exhaust mount bolts, intake harware if you can remove the pulley cover and look at that if you see that it has had wrenches, screwdrivers etc. to it they will show it if so, the guy could be hiding something. When I have sold cars in the past I have always left them alone and give the person the option especially of they are really trying to bring the price down. I have never been to a drag strip racing but I know that I am hard on my cars, this is a performance vehicle if you think it has not been hammered on that is crazy they would have bought a 6cyl car. Just remember it is out of warranty check brakes, hoses, belt, tires etc. it will start to nickel and dime at this point, suspension parts will start to make noises and need care or replacement, the fact is these are not cheap to maintain and just be prepared that will make the difference. Good Luck!

blk04cobra1
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
All of the above is good advice, just know going in that the car has probably been driven hard, I mean why else would anyone buy a sports car with 390hp from the factory? I havent been abusive on mine, but spirited driving is going to occur...just run a carfax, get a maintenance log if possible, see if the warranty was void before 36k miles (which usually means it was modded and the dealer found out when it had a problem) As far as the motor is concerned, you should have no problem there if it's been regularly maintained. Good luck :thumbsup:

Linn@Amazon
11-02-2005, 05:42 PM
this is all good advice but realistically there is just no way to know for sure.once you start to mod the vehicle you have to be ready for anything..I always look at anything broken as an opportunity to upgrade... ;)

Dave B.
11-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I would look at something broken as to be something Beat on,,,,

cobrabitn
11-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I would purchase a car that was stock and modify it the way I wanted to modify it. Look for a low mileage vehicle, 40K is okay but not what I consider low mileage, that has records or documentation on it. The 2003 models are just 2 years old, some are three, but see how much of a warranty is left on the vehicle. Test drive the car, bring a friend with you to help you assess the vehicle, inspect the general condition and look for signs of abuse or modifications.

This is not to say that there aren't any nice modified Cobras out there but I'd be leery of anyone posting a long list of mechanical mods as most likely they have been hard on the car at one point in time. Just my opinion... :doubt:

blok
11-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Great replies guys thanks a lot. The thing is though, the car is at a dealership so i dont know what the owner was like, and i have only seen pics of it so far, (i will prob take a look at it this weekend) but from the pics i can see it has a K&N filter and exhaust. I guess ill have to test drive it to find signs it was abused. wish me luck guys and thanks for the comments.

blk04cobra1
11-03-2005, 09:43 AM
out of curiousity...what dealership and what price are they asking?

Linn@Amazon
11-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Great replies guys thanks a lot. The thing is though, the car is at a dealership so i dont know what the owner was like, and i have only seen pics of it so far, (i will prob take a look at it this weekend) but from the pics i can see it has a K&N filter and exhaust. I guess ill have to test drive it to find signs it was abused. wish me luck guys and thanks for the comments.

find out if it was a local trade in or bought at the auction...

Linn@Amazon
11-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I would look at something broken as to be something Beat on,,,,

that is not always the case...especially with these cars... once HE started to mod the car to expect anything..You can get a totally pristine car and still have problems modded or not modded...

RF Cobra
11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Check the fluid colors and levels while you are out test driving...a lack of routine maintenance can be just as expensive as buying one that has been driven abusively. I've seen some fluids that weren't anywhere near close to the right color when looking at used vehicles.

If you are friendly with a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury service person, you might be able to get them to run the vin for you and see what kind of service history the car has (assuming it was serviced through a Ford dealership). Also, if you have someone that can do an inspection for you to look for signs of pending problems that can be a worthwhile thing to do.

Leased vehicles concern me the most, along with ones bought by a dealer at auction and a lot of dealers are buying cars at auction now. Of course repos also raise a red flag...

Good luck!

Hope it works out.
:)

blok
11-04-2005, 01:07 AM
the car was sold the day i was going to look at it, and to answer the other question, it had 40k miles and they were asking 24k for it, i could of probably talked them down more too. But thanks for all your help guys

cobracrazy
11-04-2005, 09:05 AM
You can have my 03' Cobra with 26k miles on it, still under warranty. It has NEVER been to a race track. In fact the only reason I am selling is so I can buy a Factory Five Challenge car for the track.

I am only looking for the pay off which is 26k dollars.

facts are:
03' Black Cobra vert with 26k miles
Mods:
Cat Back exhaust
CAI
Tinted windows

PM me if interested