PDA

View Full Version : wheel hop

mrpork
11-04-2005, 09:31 PM
i have asked you all for help before on this problem :( well i still have it after putting all of the poly bushings in :mad: any suggestions on what to try now

Big T
11-04-2005, 09:33 PM
i have asked you all for help before on this problem :( well i still have it after putting all of the poly bushings in :mad: any suggestions on what to try now
what kind of tires do you use? Also what mods have you done?

mrpork
11-04-2005, 09:35 PM
factory tires and no mods really just exhaust and air intake

mrpork
11-04-2005, 09:37 PM
i just hope that im not damaging the car by having this wheel hop

Big T
11-05-2005, 12:05 AM
wheel hop is not good from what I hear. It can tear up your car's rearend. Avoid it at all costs. I've been getting it also but I don't drive my car much and I only get on it occassionally. They have launch kits to buy that are not cheap. I'm going to get some new tires for x mas (either nito 555r or some bfg drag radials). I heard that good tires help alot. I'll probably have to invest more money into this problem when I get my whipple or kb.

Dave B.
11-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Wheel hop is from two things,

1. the back of the car is light, a mid engine car does not wheel hop due to all the weight being on top of the wheels,

2, the IRS is the cause of most of it, the IRS is also lighter than a solid axil thus allowing a wheel with a huge amount of energy being pumped into it to basicly fly off the ground,

the FIX: well there is not one, all you can do is spend a lot of money to temper it down a little, the best thing to stop it, is have big enough tires on the rear to keep the rear end hooked up under even the most aggressive acceleration,,,,I may be a little off on my IRS explanation,,,,just to qualify my statment,

cobrabitn
11-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I would first do a search on these forums as this has been discussed numerous times. The best way to eliminate wheel hop 99% is to put a set of lowering springs on the car along with some Steeda IRS bushings. Now some people will say an IRS brace and give you other ideas but this is what worked for me and I didn't have to have CC plates.

1 set of Steeda IRS polyurethane bushings
1 set of Kenny Brown Sport Springs to lower the Cobra 1.5 inches

Follow the installation write up and get rid of the hop! Buy the lowering springs, get rid of the hop, and the next time someone asks, you too can tell them it worked for you. ;)

Dave B.
11-05-2005, 12:35 AM
did that compleatly get rid of all your wheel hop??

I mean can you get on it in any condition without hop??

cobrabitn
11-05-2005, 12:40 AM
I did this to my 1999 Cobra (Club founding Cobra) and it eliminated it 99% on the street as it just made the tires sizzle instead of hop. (Burn rubber quietly)

On the drag strip (which I assume MrPork doesn't go to since he has a droptop) I put on drag radials and it eliminated the hop 99%. It would only do it every now and then and when it did, it wasn't an erratic bounce, more like a skitter if you know what I mean?

Put the springs on, lower the center of gravity, and the car will lose the hip hop.

Your mileage may vary! :D

Big Daddy
11-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I agree with most of what Tony said but I put on the Kenny Brown Aluminum IRS bushing and found they worked even better than the polyurithane. :thumbsup:

kilroy
11-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Finally, I'll add that if you are at the track, a set of DRs properly inflated for racing (read deflated) or bias plys will eliminate your wheel hop issues. Well, it has for me.

TL04SVT
11-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Two words..................SOLID AXLE :D

redsnake99
11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
There was no plaque for the wheel hop champion at fall drag day. My car did it every single time I ran. My car is lowered, has a diff brace, tires were deflated to 16 lbs., still hopped in the first three gears. I didn't bring the drag radials this time, scared of fusing the clutch again, like last spring.

Face it, with my power and otherwise stock rear suspension, I should stick to road racing and everyday driving. In the next week, I'll top 140,000 miles in Whistler.

kilroy
11-06-2005, 12:42 PM
~tires were deflated to 16 lbs., still hopped in the first three gears. I didn't bring the drag radials this time, scared of fusing the clutch again, like last spring.Bring the drag radials next time & upgrade the clutch :thumbsup:

Linn@Amazon
11-06-2005, 01:19 PM
full length sub frame connectors,irs bushings,upper and lower control arm bushings,springs,DRs,adjustable shocks..some cars will respond and calm down with only a few of these..others will take more..we recommend starting with FLSC and irs bushings and DRs..if it persists...delrin upper and lower control arm bushings,then shocks,if you want it lowered springs...you just have to do this is stages and see what the results are.

with the power these cars make even stock I highly reccomend the FLSC as a basic mod...you will never be able to eliminate wheel hop..that is just the nature of the IRS...you can calm it to a safe level but the only way to eliminate it completely is with a solid axle

scrmngdave
11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
I have personally been throught the wheel hop issue, and have beaten it. let me answer your other question about is wheel hop bad?:bounce: it is the worst, if you experience it, immediately get out of the throttle. it WILL break things! when it happens it is real violent on the suspension and driveline and somethings got to give. i first talked to kenny brown, and was told to put in the diff brace with bushings, it helped, but didn't fix it. next stage, i put in the upper and lower control arm bushings, and adjustable qa1 shocks. wheel hop completely eliminated!! drag radials, street tires, doesn't matter, it works. the irs suspension is awesome for all around driving. going to a solid axle gives you drag prowess, and you lose better handling in the trade off. if you like a well rounded car, that does well at everything, stay with the irs. since you have already done the hard part(control arm bushings), do the shocks and your problem will be solved!:thumbsup:

RheacerDave
11-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I raced a formula ford for almost 6 years, so I don't think IRS in itself is the problem, as you can't get much lighter than a 875 lb FF. True it was mid engine, but I'm thinking all that stock damp rubber is the culprit. Firm everything up and you can't set up resonances as easily. Brown told us the same thing at Nashville ahile back. You can have cushy non-vibrating ride or you can stick.